Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic BMWs? Scrambler Build

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    It's really not as hard as you're making it sound. Firstly, this whole scheme has absolutely nothing to do with the WOF scheme. Why you're bringing WOF into this is beyond reason.

Secondly, it's not hard to see if a modification was done "in a way which increases its power-to-weight". Any modification that either increases power or decreases weight is prohibited. A slip-on muffler, for example, does both. Really not hard for anyone to figure that one out.
    First point, absolutely right, not sure why I thought WOFS were relevant. My bad.

Second point, ok: so on bike 'A', you add a set of luggage racks, and then fit a slip-on. Has your overall power-to-weight increased or decreased?
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

Secondly, it's not hard to see if a modification was done "in a way which increases its power-to-weight". Any modification that either increases power or decreases weight is prohibited. A slip-on muffler, for example, does both. Really not hard for anyone to figure that one out.
    Maybe a before and after dyno run and weight of muffler to show no decrease of weight or increase of power.
    Most 30 year old 250s pipes are rotten and need replaced. Best defence is not to rev the ring out of your bike in town creating unwanted popo attention. If your making an excessive noise then your asking for a lams issue.

Some of these new single cylinder 250s sound so bad with noisy budget pipes they deserve to be impounded. CBRs are just the worst.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Man the pack/luggage rack is one I didn't even think about for actually being illegal.
    It is a not factory trim after all so I hope no rider on their LAMs ever installs one least the long arm of the law smite them with some lame ass ticket, because clearly that sort of modification will kill someone

Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Best defence is not to rev the ring out of your bike in town creating unwanted popo attention. If your making an excessive noise then your asking for a lams issue.
    This is partly the rule I live by. Not just noise though.
    I'm not perfect and slip sometimes in areas I'd deem as 'high risk', but all things considered I do alright on my 'illegal' scooters.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Second point, ok: so on bike 'A', you add a set of luggage racks, and then fit a slip-on. Has your overall power-to-weight increased or decreased?
    Doesn't matter, the modifications are independent. The slip on muffler is a modification that improves the power/weight. Seriously this scheme was designed so simple a child can understand it, yet KB still struggles.

And to the person above, an aftermarket exhaust doesn't need to improve performance to change the power/weight, because they are universally lighter than stock exhausts.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

And to the person above, an aftermarket exhaust doesn't need to improve performance to change the power/weight, because they are universally lighter than stock exhausts.
    Some of the earlier Remus stainless road cans would give manufactures a run for their money in the porky stats.

Stick something like this on and its unlikely it will be recognised as not stock. Carbon or titanium can with race use only printed on it and amplified sounds and your stuffed.

Unless your pipes had it not sure why you would want change it on a Lams bike anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muffler new.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	312990  

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Unless your pipes had it not sure why you would want change it on a Lams bike anyway.
    Couldn't agree more - nothing sounds worse than a single or p-twin 250/300 with a noisy pipe.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Doesn't matter, the modifications are independent.
    Contrary to what I've heard, and the wording I posted doesn't say "Any single modification which increases the power to weight".... it just says "any motorcycle which is modified in a way which increases...."

Got sauce?
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Depends why you bought the bike, I suppose. I got the SR because of the way it looks, and those looks will shortly be improved by replacing the stock pipe with something with a lot less visual weight and a bit less actual weight. It's not a temporary ride until I can get a "real" bike.

Contrary to what I've heard, and the wording I posted doesn't say "Any single modification which increases the power to weight".... it just says "any motorcycle which is modified in a way which increases...."
    Yeah, and I'm still going with the intent of the law being to stop people un-restricting LAMS bikes up to their full-fat versions. I don't think anyone cares about an extra 1hp (maybe) on top of my stock 23...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    To you it's just a LAMs bike. You've have a bunch of different bikes and years riding no doubt. To someone starting out, it is THEIR LAMs beasty, probably their first bike, maybe their first new vehicle purchase ever and subsequently their pride and joy.

I see it all the time on here, just because it is not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's not someone elses.
    With exceptions, half the classic bikes lusted over on here I think are ugly, boring pieces of shit with way to much money thrown at them to keep them on the road and/or in good nick, but a bunch of people would probably find bikes boring without those examples to own.

Got sauce?
    "The following list of motorcycles with engine capacities between 251cc and 660cc - these motorcycles must be in standard form as produced by the manufacturer. They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio."
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/lams.html

That is on the NZTA website, which I could be wrong but doesn't necessarily mean it's law as far as I'm aware, but it does appear in a few spots.

"Will approved motorcycles be identified with a label?

The NZ Transport Agency considered adopting the labelling system that is used in Australia
    to identify approved motorcycles.
    The decision was made not to produce labels because of issues around motorcycle
    modifications. Motorcycles listed on the approved list are compliant as produced by the manufacturer. If these motorcycles have been modified in anyway, they are no longer approved.
    The NZTA has no control over the motorcycles once a label has been applied. This means it
    could be modified, but still appear to be LAMS-compliant. "
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett.../lams-faqs.pdf

However, right under that they seem to throw that wee gem out the window...

"Will the addition of aftermarket suspension affect the LAMS compliance of a
    motorcycle?

If a motorcycle has a direct suspension replacement, it would not affect the power-to-weight
    ratio of the motorcycle or the LAMS compliance
    ."
    So you can't do any modifications at all.

Nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

But then you can do some modifications , unless it is a modification that increases power to weight, but there is no guideline as to what exactly they mean by that. Like replacing your bulbs for LED units that happen to be a few grams lighter. Are you breaking the law, or are inferring more towards the power side of the deal rather than the weight?

This poorly written shit is exactly why I pay less and less attention to the 'law' the older I get. It's not like it was even a system they started from scratch themselves!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post

Met a guy over there who has a holiday there every year and does just that, and he's got some 1100cc cruiser thing here.
    I took a photo of his earlier bike at the markets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waylander.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	620.4 KB 
ID:	313018  

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    So you can't do any modifications at all.

Nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

But then you can do some modifications , unless it is a modification that increases power to weight, but there is no guideline as to what exactly they mean by that. Like replacing your bulbs for LED units that happen to be a few grams lighter. Are you breaking the law, or are inferring more towards the power side of the deal rather than the weight?
    Thanks for the sauce. Yeah, the wording is pretty crap. Oh well, at least it's better than the days of being nothing more than 2fiddys, and a max speed limit of... what was it.... 70? We've come a long way from there.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    To you it's just a LAMs bike. You've have a bunch of different bikes and years riding no doubt. To someone starting out, it is THEIR LAMs beasty, probably their first bike, maybe their first new vehicle purchase ever and subsequently their pride and joy.
    I still had to go through the older 250 system with learners and restricted etc so I know what its like to have a limited choice.
    I don't personally have an issue with the pipes but its the addition of cheap loud pipes onto the new 250 twins and singles that sound terrible and would create popo attention that I think is a backwards step from a stock pipe. Make bad noises and it will end up in a ticket under the lams modification rules. Choose nice pipe that's perhaps not totally unlike the original then most likely never have an issue as long as you don't have a loud mouth if pulled over.

I cant say a lot I owned a RG$00 on my learners licence.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    I still had to go through the older 250 system with learners and restricted etc so I know what its like to have a limited choice.
    I don't personally have an issue with the pipes but its the addition of cheap loud pipes onto the new 250 twins and singles that sound terrible and would create popo attention that I think is a backwards step from a stock pipe. Make bad noises and it will end up in a ticket under the lams modification rules. Choose nice pipe that's perhaps not totally unlike the original then most likely never have an issue as long as you don't have a loud mouth if pulled over.

I remember back when I was in school, all the boy racer types getting up in arms about changes to the law regarding modified vehicles. Amounted to potential tickets for things like excessive loss of traction or an overly loud modified exhaust. Is that still a thing?

Bike

The point is your frame of mind is completely different now. First bikes/first vehicles for that matter, are prized possessions to most owners not matter the marque or condition, and pieces of shit to pretty much everyone else

You can tell guys with the horrible sounding bikes how shit they sound till the cows come home, but they will think they are the bomb, until a few years from now when they look back and laugh. All part of the fun I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    I remember back when I was in school, all the boy racer types getting up in arms about changes to the law regarding modified vehicles. Amounted to potential tickets for things like excessive loss of traction or an overly loud modified exhaust. Is that still a thing?
    Doesn't seem to be. Don't know if it is because of the law, because it is easier to get correct info (rather than word of mouth about how much horsie powers you stand to gain if you just pull your muff off ) or even possibly because the actual correct parts are more readily available at better prices.
    There are still some young guys putting some big money into them for sure. Met a friend of a friend a few months ago who had just spent 20k on his already modified engine, just to race around the Port Hills Despite what the media and the fuzz say this sort of thing has always been around and always will be, they are just a lot faster than they were 40 years ago, but arguably safer too at the same time given modern vehicle construction standards.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    You can tell guys with the horrible sounding bikes how shit they sound till the cows come home, but they will think they are the bomb, until a few years from now when they look back and laugh. All part of the fun I reckon.
    Even when I was young and dumb I wasn't silly enough to think the sound that a cbr300 with a $80 ally tardme muffler would be considered cool. But I didn't need cones and barrier tape to stop me from testing the effect of falling in a hole either. Maybe times have changed.

Thread Information