Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How hard will I find gravel on my GSX-R?

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Gravel roads aren't like sealed roads. They can be anything from hard packed (where it's easy to do 100+), to the grader has been through and it's like riding on marbles, to they've laid down a fresh layer and you should put your togs on coz you're going swimming

Hard pack, easy on the GSXR. Grader has just been, you're probably going to struggle. Fresh layer... hahaha you better know what you're doing

Your skill/experience will make up a big component, and it's not like you're the first to do it.

I would suggest a radiator guard if you're going to get all keen about it, but realistically, just buy an adventure bike and go anywhere... cheaper when you drop it.
    Cool - thanks for that. And yeah, bike came with a rad guard - a red one! That must make it go faster

I love gixxer life, just trying to gauge how adventurous my "touring" can get.
    My kiwi gravel driving has been limited to carpark access roads ...

I'll get an adventure bike one day though

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If you are heading south don't have a dark visor down when you enter the tunnel.
    +1 to this.

After riding for a while in bright sunshine it's very easy to forget that you're looking through a full tint visor.

I rode into the tunnel and shit myself for a second or two before thinking to flick my visor up.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I rode into the tunnel and shit myself for a second or two before thinking to flick my visor up.
    It's compounded by the fact that the tunnel slopes from one end to t'other so you can be looking at the roof or the floor (either way it's almost total blackness) depending which way you are travelling until you make the necessary adjustment to watch the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel".

One of the locals out there, a BMW rider, once had to rescue another BMW rider who had dumped his bike in the tunnel.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Cool - thanks for that. And yeah, bike came with a rad guard - a red one! That must make it go faster

I love gixxer life, just trying to gauge how adventurous my "touring" can get.
    My kiwi gravel driving has been limited to carpark access roads ...

I'll get an adventure bike one day though
    Well, the Forgotten World Highway is fine with a big sporty, on the Busa the gravel section isn't ideal but it's doable.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I took my FZ1 through there in April, complete with wife and pack. No worries, road nicely formed( then) and the road from the pub through to Stratford was simply so much fun.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    More mud than gravel but funny as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgEl53x7CM

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Keep to the cleaner swept bits that vehicles make & if you do drift out into the Marbles, keep the power on!!
    If you go "Oh fuck" & button off...chances are you'll run straight on or you'll lose the front.
    When I say keep the power on, I mean nice & steady.
    Not drop it down a gear & take it to redline, although if all else fails you could try that

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I wrote my gixxer off on some gravel. Was just a patch on a sealed road though lol.

Sounding like you will be alright though, there's a good video on youtube of a guy taking his gixxer through a offroad (muddy bog) course in the UK. Great laugh

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    I wrote my gixxer off on some gravel. Was just a patch on a sealed road though lol.

Sounding like you will be alright though, there's a good video on youtube of a guy taking his gixxer through a offroad (muddy bog) course in the UK. Great laugh
    Yesssss, Baron Von Grumble

I'm all for doing inappropriate things on bikes, but...
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    On many back roads the gravel can be in better shape than some poorly maintained sealed roads. If you pull up on the gravel section just dont park on top of a rotton possum carcase like I did. Corrugations on the downhill left hand corners can be unsettling on a small front wheel. From memory I think the Tangarakau gorge is mostly flat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo004.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	616.6 KB 
ID:	313002
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    utubery is your friend...

from the stable of fine films by a KBer:

and from the same stable of fine films...

and a couple more from another biker...

The biggest issue was not the gravel section but the locals "you know the road"...

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1435238182093.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	313085I went through there on a CBR1000 loaded with pack etc about 2 months ago - no dramas at all - just keep enough speed on so you float over as many of the ruts as possible..Tarseal parts are great (in the dry) - obviously you'll get smacked about a bit by the broken surface at times but my ancient wrists handled it ok

Sent from my communicator - Beam me outta here Scotty

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It's compounded by the fact that the tunnel slopes from one end to t'other so you can be looking at the roof or the floor (either way it's almost total blackness) depending which way you are travelling until you make the necessary adjustment to watch the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel".

One of the locals out there, a BMW rider, once had to rescue another BMW rider who had dumped his bike in the tunnel.
    Yeah - I had to pick up a mate who dropped his bike in the tunnal and broke his wrist ...

Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    I took my FZ1 through there in April, complete with wife and pack. No worries, road nicely formed( then) and the road from the pub through to Stratford was simply so much fun.
    Watch that road at this time of year if it is damp. last time I was there there was moss and lichen growing out of the seal and the corners were very slippery .. take care and you'll be fine ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Well haven't been down to the forgotten yet, but following my Northland road trip last week, it turns out a Gixxer is absolutely find on Sand, Gravel, Mud and the Te Paki stream on 90 mile beach!

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    And I'm guessing 90 mile beach really is a No no.....
    Beach is fine, it's the stream at the top that might trap ya!

Thread Information