Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ drivers' road rage?

Bike
    Several old ones

NZ drivers' road rage?

Been overseas for a while riding a while.
    Got back to NZ and the thing I noticed most was the anger amongst NZ drivers if someone does something the slightest bit wrong.
    What the heck is wrong with us.
    Is there an inner built up anger in NZ drivers and Riders that is just bursting to get out.

It is as though someone makes a small error and its the end of world, scream shout honk the horn.
    I say get a life, just chill out. It could be your son or daughter that has made that mistake.

These actions of the few idiots we have on NZ roads are not apparent in the states and some other countries.

Just witnessed a car with a trailer pull out of a driveway the driver in the white van, who had the right of way, had to slow a little. (in a 50kmh area)
    Wow you should have heard the shouting and hooting bad language for causing them slow down. (what a inconvenience)

These angry drivers need to be named and shamed. Report them or Regos to *555

I am determined not to be like this.

What must tourists think of us????

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    Sad but true..
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    R nine T
    That's because there are a lot of slack drivers in NZ who ignore even the most basic driving rules like keeping left of the center line, using indicators , giving way etc.Its no wonder some people go off as its such a common occurrance.As a truck driver I can tell you its very frustrating when some one pulls out in front of me, when they could have waited 5 seconds for me to pass, but no they pull out then doodle up the road 20ks under the speed limit, with no idea I'm trying to pull up a heavy load under heavy braking.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Got back to NZ and the thing I noticed most was the anger amongst NZ drivers if someone does something the slightest bit wrong.
    Is there an inner built up anger in NZ drivers and Riders that is just bursting to get out.

It is as though someone makes a small error and its the end of world, scream shout honk the horn.
    I say get a life, just chill out. It could be your son or daughter that has made that mistake.

These actions of the few idiots we have on NZ roads are not apparent in the states and some other countries.

Just witnessed a car with a trailer pull out of a driveway the driver in the white van, who had the right of way, had to slow a little.
    Wow you should have heard the shouting and hooting bad language for causing them slow down. (what a inconvenience)

Or the wanker with the trailer could have waited two seconds for the van to go past.
    Its one of the most frustrating things that can happen on the road IMO - a person is in such a hurry that they cant delay there trip for a few seconds so they pull out of a side road or driveway in front of you causing you to brake hard and slow considerably and then they amble down the road at 70 or 80 ks. Cunts - every last one of them.

- oh, beat me to it bmws1r

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    The attitude of "this is my road" has long been part of the New Zealand psyche - nothing new there. What has changed is the extent that some will go to to defend their road space - it gets uglier as time passes.

I had a good one a last week. Turning left at an intersection, an oncoming car did a right turn across my path (in contravention of the new give way rules). Rather than get all road-ragey about it, I slowed a little and let them go through. This outraged the guy behind me, who flashed his lights, hit his horn, and screamed abuse out of his window. He was still hurling abuse at me at the next intersection. And all because he had been held up for a couple of seconds.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    It is strange, some of the most laid back people in the world until we get behind the wheel.

I spent 20 years in the UK and drove all over Europe before moving here.

Complete lack of courtesy here and so much rage.

Re trucks/vans slowing on the motorway, in the UK you will see many artics move to the middle lane as they approach a junction without even checking if anyone needs to join. No skin off their nose - helps the people joining.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I had never heard of the phrase 'road rage' (or seen any real examples of it) before I worked as a courier in London in the mid-90's.

I just put it down to the frustration that drivers experienced being stuck in traffic jams.

As our traffic has become more congested our frustration levels seem to be producing similar results.

I haven't noticed much road rage or bad behaviour out there, or I could be one of the unobservant ones who causes problems. What I have noticed in the last 20 years or so, with so many people having spent time overseas, or new immigrants, that drivers are more willing to lets others into their space...something they learned from other countries.

One bad behaviour I have noticed - in the '70's and '80's with a lot more bikes on the road, when lane splitting cars in front would move over, allowing the bikes through....now they close that gap.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Got my licence in the late 70's and have only ever experienced road rage (if you can call it that) once. Coming off the Harbour bridge I indicate right to change lanes and heard the horn of some other vehicle, the bloke finally got along side and with a finger gesture, he mouthed the words ''are you fucking blind''? which, to be honest, I was blind in my right eye at the time but he didn't give me a chance to respond, as he was in such a hurry, obviously.

Physical Road rage here in NZ is non existent. Everyone would have (at some time) expressed their displeasure at another road user. That's hardly road rage.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post

Just witnessed a car with a trailer pull out of a driveway the driver in the white van, who had the right of way, had to slow a little.

Very true. I've seen it a lot on my 3 recent trips back to NZ.

Bike
    BSA A10
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Physical Road rage here in NZ is non existent. Everyone would have (at some time) expressed their displeasure at another road user. That's hardly road rage.
    A timely article from the Herald
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11468539

and some quick finds on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evI-V4O_LtY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQyiufYI7s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rifBgHDm5mM

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Coz everybody drives like a cunt.....

except for me.....

I am perfect

now get out of my fuckin way....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Remember many things..
    one however was in Chch a while back somebody honking horn and gesturing wildly at me...
    for very insignificant nothings......
    so I turned of the car and walked over towards offensive 20 some year old wannabee in flash looking sporty something rather...
    Asked him calmly what it was he wanted to tell me so urgently....
    He wound up his window, and spend all his time turning a rather non descript shade of pale.......

Leisurely restarted vehicle and let the traffic flow reinstate itself....
    being 6 foot plus and ugly has advantages.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    A
    Meh, only in the main centres during commuter rush hours really, other than that our so called road rage is quite timid by international standards. There are exceptions to this from time to time, but it's not like we're exchanging gunfire at junctions...

Most of my workdays are spent piloting a big truck in a relaxed fashion, and hey I got my licence in Europe so I receive very little aggro on account of my actions. Even on the odd occasion when someone has wanted to "have a word" it's not been an issue really, well for me anyway.

Poor driving standards, lack of patience and ever busier roads quickly show up the MFFY attitude displayed by a portion of drivers.

Thread Information