Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New helmet technology

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    We are all a single mistake away from a wooden box.
    That mistake may not be ours.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.
    Not always even a mistake ... your's or their's ...

Just a combination of circumstance. Small factors that (alone) mean little. Together (As a group) ... might mean your demise.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... I hope you all live long enough to appreciate it ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB1300
    Ps take it from someone with a lifetime of medication and complications from a significant head injury: they happen in an instant and can be without warning doing something you have done safely thousands of times before.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not always even a mistake ... your's or their's ...

Just a combination of circumstance. Small factors that (alone) mean little. Together (As a group) ... might mean your demise.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... I hope you all live long enough to appreciate it ....
    Yep that too. My appreciation for how wonderful it is to grow old started when I felt lucky to still be able to breathe for myself at 16.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... they happen in an instant and can be without warning doing something you have done safely thousands of times before.

According to ACC ... motorcycling is dangerous.

Take care out there folks ... and wear protection. Azzholes father didn't ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... when I felt lucky to still be able to breathe for myself at 16.

It supprised us at the time too ....

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I like. But.
    How well do they perform on pointy impacts? Good shock absorption but I would like to see how they hold together if the outer shell is compromised.
    Not bean a nay sayer, just that at the mo it's for off road hemlets. As somebody said, moving forward.
    Think they're essentially a similar outer shell to most as far as penetration resistance is concerned. One of the supposed advantages of that system is the ability of the shell to rotate somewhat around the rest of the assembly without imparting as much torque to the skull. Apparently a lot of damage is done by the lateral forces resulting from "traction" wrt the road surface, that feature mitigates such damage.

I don't really understand why nobody's developed a colloidal elastomer or similar to replace the standard styrene foam. It can be designed to behave like jelly at low impact and increase viscosity with speed of impact. Objective would be to use all of the available crush space at any given impact speed.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Think they're essentially a similar outer shell to most as far as penetration resistance is concerned. One of the supposed advantages of that system is the ability of the shell to rotate somewhat around the rest of the assembly without imparting as much torque to the skull. Apparently a lot of damage is done by the lateral forces resulting from "traction" wrt the road surface, that feature mitigates such damage.

I don't really understand why nobody's developed a colloidal elastomer or similar to replace the standard styrene foam. It can be designed to behave like jelly at low impact and increase viscosity with speed of impact. Objective would be to use all of the available crush space at any given impact speed.
    It will filter down. They're just busy stopping bullets with it similar tech for the moment.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    It will filter down. They're just busy stopping bullets with it similar tech for the moment.
    There's also the effect of existing standards compliance on new technology, existing standards test procedures I'm aware of wouldn't measure the performance improvements such materials offer. And given the industry's investment in existing tech they're hardly likely to want to change how their product is evaluated if those changes favour someone else's ideas.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information