Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Some questions re biking in New Zealand

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Largs Saint View Post
    Would be very tempted to move as previously mentioned the house prices in Auckland are crazy high. Problem is that I am a step granddad to a lovely little Kiwi girl that stays in Auckland. She would miss me loads if I moved away. Looking forward to spending some time touring. We haven't been to South Island yet. I hear it is stunning. Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to coming over.
    Sounds like a great reason to live in the waikato or bay of plenty and go for a weekly ride to akl.
    Still central enough then to explore the north island regularly and south island not far away.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Sounds like a great reason to live in the waikato or bay of plenty and go for a weekly ride to akl.
    Still central enough then to explore the north island regularly and south island not far away.

Sent via tapatalk.
    +1 - the man speaks a great deal of sense...

Auckland house prices are not crazy, just insane...

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    That sounds a right pain in the arse Johnny. Might change my mind and flog the Bandit here and buy one in NZ (with the right clocks). Although it would be difficult as I have an irrational, emotional attachment to the bike. Excuse the ignorance but what or who is MAF?
    Glad to see someone else with such attachments to a motorcycle my problems an old TL 1000.MAF....https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...96783405,d.dGY
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I find it difficult to respond to that post without using all of the four letter words that I have at my disposal. Lets just say that after seven years in Aberdeen I came to NZ to get away from all that shit and thought, you know, the other side of the world might be far enough. Little did I know that I would end up in a town that is more Scottish than anywhere in Scotland and be living next door to some fucking wanker who played the fucking pipes, if played can ever be the correct word. Fuckers should explode when they cross the equator.

At least we have better weather.

Mate you have no idea how much i laughed,nice work.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    +1 - the man speaks a great deal of sense...

Auckland house prices are not crazy, just insane...
    I can't afford to live in Auckland. I can afford commute to suckled. Bought a house in tuakau for about the same as a parking space goes for in the cbd.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Most of those who wax lyrical about how horrid a place Auckland is have never even been to the place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Glad to see someone else with such attachments to a motorcycle my problems an old TL 1000.MAF....https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...96783405,d.dGY
    Thanks Slapper so those are the guys that make sure the bike is uber clean or charge you for them to clean it?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Thanks Slapper so those are the guys that make sure the bike is uber clean or charge you for them to clean it?
    MAF has re alphabetted and is now MPI. I had my bike inspected by MPI, Customs and, I think, LTSA at Tappers bonded warehouse in Onehunga. That's where the freight is held until it is cleared. The inspections were arranged by the NZ agents, Hemisphere freight, they could not have been more helpful. Mind you, for $600 they should be. Inspections were extra, about $180 IIRC.
    Do not wear jandals at the freight depot or they will not allow you into the loading area, put your brogues on. And don't flush your underpants down the portaloo, the girls in the office get very upset at the smell.

Customs info

I ended up calling both MPI and Customs to clarify issues and the freight co filled in a couple of gaps, too. Let me know what forms etc I needed if you get confuzzled.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    Most of those who wax lyrical about how horrid a place Auckland is have never even been to the place.

Auckland is not to bad if your on the inside looking out... Must admit that when i first washed up here I thought Auckland was the mutts nuts, beaches, surfing, fishing, sunshine, yet to find a decent curry, though. Then I realised NZ is not about cities.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

Untrue, I've spent a lot of time there and I fucking hate the place.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Untrue, I've spent a lot of time there and I fucking hate the place.
    Good for you. But I can hardly be expected to retract my suggestion that "most" haven't on the basis of one (or even a few) exceptions.

Bike
    The more people settle in Auckland the better i say.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Good for you. But I can hardly be expected to retract my suggestion that "most" haven't on the basis of one (or even a few) exceptions.

Oh well, if you are counting you can add me in as one who has and one who does.

Sent from my elephantine big bronze duck shaped roger jolly.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    That sounds a right pain in the arse Johnny. Might change my mind and flog the Bandit here and buy one in NZ (with the right clocks). Although it would be difficult as I have an irrational, emotional attachment to the bike. Excuse the ignorance but what or who is MAF?
    They are the soil/food/bugs hitlers you see on the TV and the ones that manage to take longer to get through at the airport than Immigration and customs combined!!!

Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (they might be MPI now but everyone knows who you mean by MAF).

In terms of no car, the 40ft container went straight to our house where it was greeted by the MAF guy who hung around (for a fee of course) and inspected what he wanted to see. He'd already looked through the manifest and knew the box numbers for his stuff (tents, garden tools, etc.).

Some baskets got taken away and fumigated (for $60 or something) but other than that, all sweet.

Customs wasn't a problem - new immigrants are exempt from pretty much any charges - alcohol is a pain paperwork wise. We simply drank out 20 years of collected French wine before we left!

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Big Dog's idea about buying in Tuakau makes a lot of sense just checked out the house prices. Much, much cheaper! Saw a nice bandit 1250 on Trade Me. I think it probably would make more sense to buy in NZ. Thanks for the info re MAF/MPI. I read about the Ulysees MCC does anyone know much about them? I believe that they are for old fart bikers like me.

Thread Information