Thread: The Barry Sheene Classic is no more

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Graham View Post
    The completed layout will allow three options;
    Full international circuit (existing plus extension) = 3.8k
    Club circuit (just the new extension looping back on itself) = 1.2k
    National circuit (what we have now) = 2.8k

And yes the club and National circuit will be able to run at the same time.

All will have their own price structure based on the day of the week (weekday or weekend) and time of the day (daytime or evening).

We are expecting the new pricing for circuit hire to be released 'soon'.

As far as AMCC is concerned we will have no choice but to pass this increase onto the entry price, we are all collectively holding our breath....
    Sounds good. We often see a car club doing bent sprints or driving tests on the South end of Ruapuna when we're at the B track. Someone is sure to want to put a Motard track in the middle too. Again, the one here can be used while a meeting is on down at the B track. It all helps the operators pocket hence charges stay lower...Very few of the meetings run here by the two smaller clubs use the full circuit. Marshals and money....

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    I was talking to Kevin Grant and he, too, wanted the Barry Sheene name to stay. He accepted the decision,
    Ed, What was Kevin's official capacity in accepting the decision? As I understand it the classic register decided to be involved from an organisational perspective, essentially stepping away from any official capacity. Thus his comment would only then be his opinion?

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Ed, What was Kevin's official capacity in accepting the decision? As I understand it the classic register decided to be involved from an organisational perspective, essentially stepping away from any official capacity. Thus his comment would only then be his opinion?
    I believe it was his opinion only. I don't know if it was representative of all or some. I could see his point, should I not continue with my sponsorship, though others have opined that the name is not so crucial, as the recognisable tie between NZ and Australia is the main thing we want to maintain and grow. Particularly the Trans Tasman Challenge.

We'll have a debrief shortly and will discuss the event and our options going forward. I am certainly keen to remain as naming sponsor. Especially for this year, I wanted to maintain the advertising as it was, using Barry Sheene's picture and the poster layout to give continuity. However we will be looking for ideas, if anyone involved wants to make a submission.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I believe it was his opinion only. I don't know if it was representative of all or some. I could see his point, should I not continue with my sponsorship, though others have opined that the name is not so crucial, as the recognisable tie between NZ and Australia is the main thing we want to maintain and grow. Particularly the Trans Tasman Challenge.

We'll have a debrief shortly and will discuss the event and our options going forward. I am certainly keen to remain as naming sponsor. Especially for this year, I wanted to maintain the advertising as it was, using Barry Sheene's picture and the poster layout to give continuity. However we will be looking for ideas, if anyone involved wants to make a submission.
    Ed, be good if you did stay involved as a sponsor at whatever level and thanks for stepping up for this year. I met B Sheene esq years ago and he was a top bloke to talk to and drink beer with on and off over a weekend, but as someone said, the link to NZ is somewhat tenuous. I can see the linkage for Aussie as he did ride a number of times at the event that is now the Barry Sheene at Eastern Creek. Having our event here as the such and such International Classic probably has more relevance to joe public - by driving the trans tasman challenge. Over this have the Barry Sheene Aussie event linkage through images etc. I think the mix as it became was great.

An option could be to include the profiling of a significant NZ racer each year. the US do it at times using a term like "Grand Marshall". But sort of like a testimonial event or whatever. have them as a guest, autographs, be part of the promotion, speaking at the function and raise the profile of their input to the sport that many people may not be aware of.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Ed, be good if you did stay involved as a sponsor at whatever level and thanks for stepping up for this year. I met B Sheene esq years ago and he was a top bloke to talk to and drink beer with on and off over a weekend, but as someone said, the link to NZ is somewhat tenuous. I can see the linkage for Aussie as he did ride a number of times at the event that is now the Barry Sheene at Eastern Creek. Having our event here as the such and such International Classic probably has more relevance to joe public - by driving the trans tasman challenge. Over this have the Barry Sheene Aussie event linkage through images etc. I think the mix as it became was great.

An option could be to include the profiling of a significant NZ racer each year. the US do it at times using a term like "Grand Marshall". But sort of like a testimonial event or whatever. have them as a guest, autographs, be part of the promotion, speaking at the function and raise the profile of their input to the sport that many people may not be aware of.
    I agree mate, everyone I spoke to was enthusiastic about the event especially the Aussies, who Duncan Coutts targeted for a better inclusions this time. It was pretty much a joint effort between Duncan and Pete McMillan(?) from Aus. And they did a great job! The hard work and support from the Sidecar Racing Association and the NZPCRA was amazing and they deserve huge credit for their efforts. I really had the easy part.

There are a number of notable NZ racers I want to get involved. Croz was involved this year and had a ball, but there's also Richard Scott and others who deserve some recognition from the '70's. In the racing scene there are so many who have played a major role in the sport, Vicky Strieffler,(?), Avalon, Sam Love, Shaun Harris, etc. who have all lifted the profile here and overseas. Add in the likes of Tony Rees, Andrew Stroud, Ray Clee, Dave Cole, Dennis Charlett - the list goes on! Then you add the "now" racers in their 20's and 30's!

Hugh Anderson was there and in his element at 80+. Too many to list here! Brett from BRM had a great day on his dyno, giving people both a reality check and some real encouragement too.

The Aussies definitely want to come back. Alan Johnston, Cam Donald, Rob and Alex Phyllis, Peter McMillan, and so on - everyone loved it.

Bike
    none at moment
    I'm a bit late coming on to this thread but anyway, i attended the event on the Sunday as a spectator so here's my take on it as a spectator, overall the event left me feeling a bit ho hum. The competitor numbers seemed to be down and there appeared to be a lot of empty space in the pit area compared to previous years. I didn't feel an atmosphere there and i noticed there was very little in the way of trade displays. There were to many bike races and not enough sidecar events, bikes bore me and they all look the same [ i'll probably get a backlash on that one ] I looked over the bikes inside on display and maybe you could of had some people with them to tell us about them or maybe show some old video footage of them racing. It only cost me entry fee and what ever i ate so i spent very little compared to any of the competitors, but i dont think if i was a competitor i would want to be there for four days. I dont think we have the population or fan base to extend the event to four days. Sorry to be a bit negative but you did ask for feedback, and i hope my comments can be of some benefit and i look forward to seeing how you develope the event out next year

Bike
    Your comments are valid and appreciated. While a huge effort was put in, it was a bit time restricted by the time Duncan and the NZPCRA put their hands up to do the event and there was also a problem with potential sponsors having already taken on other events.

With the great success we had though, we'll be earlier to start organising next year's event and looking to get some major sponsors involved. The Suzuki series and NZSBK take a lot of sponsorship too.

So with better timing and more effort into it we are sure it will be better next time

Bike
    suzuki
    NZSBK take a lot of sponsorship too.
    just seen the poster, it's funeral black, looks like they've got no-one at all....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    The competitor numbers seemed to be down and there appeared to be a lot of empty space in the pit area compared to previous years. I didn't feel an atmosphere there and i noticed there was very little in the way of trade displays. There were to many bike races and not enough sidecar events,
    i've been to all the BS meets, last year the pit sheds weren't used much at all, this year they were, don't think as muh the competitor numbers had changed, just were in different areas.
    The sidecars got the same amount of races as every other class, can't get any fairer than that.

Bike
    none at moment
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i've been to all the BS meets, last year the pit sheds weren't used much at all, this year they were, don't think as muh the competitor numbers had changed, just were in different areas.
    The sidecars got the same amount of races as every other class, can't get any fairer than that.
    Fair call, although the rest of my comment was bikes bore me and they all look the same so i wouldn't care if they got rid of some bike classes and ran more sidecar events. Just my personal opinion and no not a very fair or realistic one.

Bike
    Fair call, although the rest of my comment was bikes bore me and they all look the same so i wouldn't care if they got rid of some bike classes and ran more sidecar events. Just my personal opinion and no not a very fair or realistic one.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I find the Olympics boring other than the womens Beach Volleyball, they should have more of that
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I find the Olympics boring other than the womens Beach Volleyball, they should have more of that
    All icing & no cake make Johnny a very sick boy.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    LOOL He's already sick!
    Keep at it Ed.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post

" Wot you fink James, cake or icing geezer"

" Icing, Bazza, the breakfast of champions"
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information