Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone show me (in person) how to change oil & filter?

Bike
    2011 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Can anyone show me (in person) how to change oil & filter?

Ok. Before anyone blasts me off as another Gixxer squid, hear me out. I've been riding motorbikes for the last 5 years and went thru my CBRs, Ninjas, and Yamahas before trying out a 750cc from Suzuki.

However, being a student back then and now a full-time worker I've never had the chance to learn how to maintain my motorbike other than taking the bike for services at the shop every 5000kms (I know). I have learnt about chain maintenance and lubrication since and also bits and pieces that I pick up here and there, but nothing much about oil/filter change.

I'm in Christchurch City, and really just want to learn more about my bike and how to take care of it. When I took them to my local bike shop (don't want to call out any names), they just aren't interested in teaching/showing me and only ask for my money after pushing the bike into their workshop where I can't see anything.

I would really appreciate if someone can help a brother out. I just want to know how to take the fairings out, how to empty the oil, pour the oil, change the oil and filter. I've watched many videos on Youtube but I'd still rather someone with mechanical experience/background/expertise show me how.

Thanks fellas

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    As a general guide one could start here

https://youtu.be/Ft1IkFZkJts

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    i suppose everyone has to start somewhere,.. but there really isnt much to fuck up...

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by wind_glider View Post
    here me out.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    .. but there really isnt much to fuck up...
    Having seen some of the questions that get asked on here, I think some people could

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Buy a manual and teach yourself.

Changing oil is not rocket surgery.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    When did people on KB turn into such arseholes to someone who has fronted up that they know nothing and want to learn??

Ideally you have a manual, send me a PM and we can sort a time for you to rock the thing round to my place and we can have a look at the basics.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    When did people on KB turn into such arseholes to someone who has fronted up that they know nothing and want to learn??

Ideally you have a manual, send me a PM and we can sort a time for you to rock the thing round to my place and we can have a look at the basics.
    Top man.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    They were always here, no moderation to the rules of the tech forums has let them out to play
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Having seen some of the questions that get asked on here, I think some people could
    If it can go wrong I am your man.

So often I have to do things twice, the first time to find all the ways I can stuff it up.
    The second time - usually so easy, makes me wonder I don't do it on purpose.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i suppose everyone has to start somewhere,.. but there really isnt much to fuck up...
    I have to put my hand up here. On about the third time I did an oil filter/filter change I managed to strip my sump plug. On the plus side, I've never done it again.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Many of us learnt this sort-of-stuff from our fathers, uncles, older family members or friends and neighbours - we were lucky.

You ask teenagers about doing basic servicing on a car and they often look at you blankly. People don't do that stuff themselves plus there's no engine under the bonnet of a modern car - just lots of plastic sheeting and a couple of colourful loops!

Good on the OP for wanting to learn about his bike

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    If it can go wrong I am your man.

So often I have to do things twice, the first time to find all the ways I can stuff it up.
    The second time - usually so easy, makes me wonder I don't do it on purpose.
    Yup, that's how I roll. Born with an unerring ability to balls up the simplest of tasks, the delicate touch of a sledge hammer and the mechanical instincts of a Petunia.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    :... the mechanical instincts of a Petunia.
    well at least you smell pretty eh...

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Buy yourself a Haynes manual. Step by step instructions (with pictures) for almost anything.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

Thread Information