Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone show me (in person) how to change oil & filter?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by wind_glider View Post
    What would I need to get for oil/filter guys?
    Here is a list of filters. Prolly stick with OE Suzuki or K & N meself. My bike is still working and it always has a little Emgo stuck in it.

AMSOil SMF 109
    Bike Master 314-0025
    Champion PH7016
    Cycle Power 314-1919
    Emgo 10-55662
    Emgo 10-55660
    Fram PH6018
    Hi-Flo HF138
    J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
    K&N 138
    NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
    NAPA PS7937
    Parts Unlimited
    Per-Form J-509
    ProPart 01-0029
    Purolator ML16818
    STP SMO-18
    Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
    VESRAH vsf-3009
    WIX 57937

Oil, dunno.
    Filter wrench? Depends on the person who fitted it. I'm assuming it's spin on. If King Kong put it on you might.

Double check this info OP, before you spend, I got it off the interwebs. Disclaimer.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Here is a list of filters. Prolly stick with OE Suzuki or K & N meself. My bike is still working and it always has a little Emgo stuck in it.
    Suzuki OE are about $20, personally I'd rather a filter built to the standard required by the people who build the bikes but heaps of people use aftermarket with no problems

Filter removal tool is cheap for something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-910323467.htm
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Suzuki OE are about $20, personally I'd rather a filter built to the standard required by the people who build the bikes but heaps of people use aftermarket with no problems

Filter removal tool is cheap for something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-910323467.htm
    Yup, and apparently they are thread specific. So they say.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    You will be binning the old filter anyway, No need to buy a wrench. If you can't undo it with just your hands, jam a screw driver through it and use it to lever it off. Just remember lefty loosey.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    I like the K and N filters, they have a built in nut on top so you can get them undone easy and have holes for lock wire

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    You will be binning the old filter anyway, No need to buy a wrench. If you can't undo it with just your hands, jam a screw driver through it and use it to lever it off. Just remember lefty loosey.
    Cleaning/drying it helps for doing it by hand. A glove can help as well.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Cleaning/drying it helps for doing it by hand. A glove can help as well.
    Bet this guy did a mean oil change
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	313357  

Bike
    2011 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Ramblings from OP

Wow. First off. Thank you all so much. Even though I'm a stranger to you all, everyone has been so nice to me on this forum I seriously feel like you guys are my friends already... Perhaps karma coming back at me finally after waving and nodding to every single biker I pass whenever I ride haha.

Tomorrow I'll be heading back to the dealership...

I will buy:

1. OEM Oil Filter --> They have stated these cost $20 for Suzuki GSXRs
    2. Engine Oil --> They say they only sell 4 litre containers/bottles which costs $60
    3. OEM Wrench --> Will see as I'm sure the fella that fitted the previous one wasn't King Kong but nice to have one just in case?
    4. Funnel and Container for pouring oil in and to collect the old oil
    5. Rags. Lots of rags. And making sure I don't ruin my fairings or like you guys said $90 may not seem so expensive anymore...

To be frank they were going to charge me $163.88 for their mechanical labour and $80 for the components. And then some more for which I cannot remember. That seems a lot to me in my opinion... And I've had bad experiences and heard things about them... (Friend of mine with '09 GSX-R1000 took his bike for its 1st interval service, the bike came back with 2 scratches on the tank and a dented number plate and a scratch on the Right Hand Side Faring... They just said "oops, we were a bit rough"... and my mate paid the money and said "fuck off, never coming to you again" and walked off. If they don't treat our bikes like their own... I don't see the point of going... That's all. I am obviously bias based off of a few people's experience but I'd rather not take a risk with a motorcycle I take very good care of myself... Is that fair to say?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Just remember lefty loosey.
    oh i do! Handjobs behind the bike shed, yes oi.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    oh i do! Handjobs behind the bike shed, yes oi.
    Yeah I bet you do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_inline_njyus02GSw1sthsj1.gif 
Views:	37 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	313359
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i suppose everyone has to start somewhere,.. but there really isnt much to fuck up...
    I know someone who overtightened their sump plug on a virtually brand new bike then went for a ride. Sump plug dropped out, so did the oil and BAM, fucked engine!

That's the one

Good on the OP for wanting to do their own work, bike shops will just take your money and do a shit job in my experience.

Bike
    Drz400sm
    I couldn't be bothered scrolling through 6 pages of forums but if your still the chch guy who wants to learn how to service your bike and was getting a lesson I'm keen to come watch, I know my way around bikes and have done work on a nz250, a drz400, a cbr150 and a gsr400 bike doing changes fixing electrics and pulling apart carbs and wouldn't mind putting another bike on the list. If your planning on keeping your bike for a while those Haynes books are amazing, sometimes lacking in fine details and gloss over parts but have a great amount of useful information to start with, pm me with details and il come watch you get oil on everything.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB1300
    A tool or a firm grip do mean a lot less cleanup than chucking a screwdriver through. That should be a oh sit now what option.
    Not long ago I tried unsuccessfully to remove a filter that was over tightened from my big horn. Mechanic had done last change. The sound it makes when your filter suddenly shears off sure makes your breathing stop. And it makes getting the core off a lot harder.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I stumbled on a good last ditch way to remove a filter. The placement of the filter on the missus's car is ridiculous, two finger tips only, no room for a filter wrench and barely any room to stab and turn it with a screwdriver which just rips the filter up and spews oil everywhere anyway. I'm to lazy to dismantle that part of the motor for access.
    Any hoo, last time I changed the oil I ended up in the usual situation, could not get enough grip on filter to release it so I wrapped some lengths of old inner tube around it and twisted them tight. Bugger me it worked, got enough grip to break the seal and spin it off.
    Might come in handy for somebody in a similar situation..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2011 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Final OP Post Ramblings #4

Alright. I took a few pictures before and during while Neels came over to help out.

Everything went smoothly and I learnt my lesson that I need a bloody oil filter wrench!

I learnt a lot from Neels and watching him work on the bike and teaching me how to fit the fairings back on...etc

Top bloke. I offered to buy him beer and he politely refused. Came in and taught me all I needed to know then disappeared just as fast.

Here's some pictures of the set up.

My motorbike's a L1 Suzuki GSX-R 750.

The dealer that I bought the bike from stated an oil filter and engine oil change. However, from the looks of things when me and Neels inspected the bike, only the engine oil was changed... at 1000kms. I bought her at 2000kms and she's at 4000kms now. The sight glass on the engine showed dark engine oil which spurred me to start this whole thread. Anyway. I need to go find myself at 17mm wrench and an oil filter wrench now!

Thank you all so much for your help... Truly am thankful...

http://i.imgur.com/wVj44D4.jpg The whole set-up

http://i.imgur.com/BpwIs5S.jpg The stuff we used

http://i.imgur.com/iWzp8YZ.jpg Draining the oil

http://i.imgur.com/rdVb1Pw.jpg Complete!

Thread Information