Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting in rush hour?

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Tuakau is beyond the Bombays, just, but still beyond... so the great ice wall advances north that far each autumn and retreats south each spring... I know 'cause I've seen it with my own eyes...
    Tuakau is definitely a few degrees cooler than Auckland. The thermometer on our deck was reading -2C one morning last week.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    A pet I'd likely return. A wild rabbit would meet a slow cooker and a 1/2 bottle of wine. Once reduced be peeled of the bone, added to some onion, veggies and gravied and baked into a two pastry pie.

Sent via tapatalk.
    As a girl, my late mother lived on rabbit as the staple meat. They couldn't afford to buy much, so they hunted their own. Despite a very unconventional way of holding a rifle she was actually a very good shot. (I guess she had to be or they would have gone hungry.) She told me they roasted the bunnies like a chicken.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    How the f..k does a rabbit found down the sth isl, get to belong to some kid up Auckland way???
    Judging by the real estate agents sign on the property the biker was shown as it's home ... I guess her family moved house ... (without the rabbit)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    As a girl, my late mother lived on rabbit as the staple meat. They couldn't afford to buy much, so they hunted their own. Despite a very unconventional way of holding a rifle she was actually a very good shot. (I guess she had to be or they would have gone hungry.) She told me they roasted the bunnies like a chicken.
    As a kid ... I used to go rabbiting with a bunch of sugar sacks and a box of matches. I never went home empty handed. But that was due more to rabbit numbers ... than my skill ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I have only ever had rabbit a few times and always in merlot and mushroom pie.
    It still makes me drool to remember back to that.

More than happy to give a taste test to whatever rabbit is on offer... any time... easter, christmas, or just becuase it is a day ending in y.

When I lived in the 'naki my daughter had a knack for getting the wild rabbits to come to her... unfortunately the ex had a nasty habit of requiring the house to be vegetarian.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    I have only ever had rabbit a few times and always in merlot and mushroom pie.
    It still makes me drool to remember back to that.

More than happy to give a taste test to whatever rabbit is on offer... any time... easter, christmas, or just becuase it is a day ending in y.

When I lived in the 'naki my daughter had a knack for getting the wild rabbits to come to her... unfortunately the ex had a nasty habit of requiring the house to be vegetarian.
    Cows eat grass we eat cows, how's that not being vegetarian
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Harley-Davidson 1200 FXDL + 2013 Hyosung

Not too bad so far

On the north western I have had about 3 people open doors, more than that bark like dogs, curse of sound their horn, god only knows how many flick an indicator on just to see my reaction, spit or flick cigarettes at me and worst someone took a shot at me. Didn't see from what or hang around to find out. Black tube. Pop noise. Something passed between chest and arm and sparked when it hit the chain link fence.

I had a cup of coffee thrown at me on the northern.

Nothing on the southern.

I don't speed when lane splitting.
    I did used to get this kind of abuse when some ghost rider wannabe was the last bike before me.
    I say this in the past tense because I don't use the north western much any more.

Sent via tapatalk.
    I am still kinda new to this lane splitting thing - I travel from Massey in west Auckland to Greenlane (via Northwestern) for work. When I got the job I decided dragging a V6 Commodore there everyday would drain my patience and bank account (from gas costs).

So a little 250 cruiser was commissioned along with my (now) provisional.

I follow couple of self-set rules.

* If moving at over 30kmh - no need to split - filter at worst
    * Split at a SLOW speed and acknowledge the best I can anyone that moves over and makes room
    * If driver changes lane in front of me (didn't see me or otherwise) don't make a big deal of it (Beemer did this the other day - when he realized I was there and moved way over to let me split - a quick thumbs up on the way past to let him know "all good"
    * Indicate to let all know what I intend to do
    * No rev bombs - just wait, an opening will come along soon
    * Move out of the way of the more experienced guys and clearly indicate to go ahead

I have not (yet?) had any adverse reaction to my splitting that I have noticed. In fact I find quite a few cars pull over to make room.

T

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac_Tonz View Post
    I have not (yet?) had any adverse reaction to my splitting that I have noticed. In fact I find quite a few cars pull over to make room.
    I'd say with your attitude things are likely to stay that way. You seem to be on to it.

In over ten years of splitting on Auckland's motorways (northern and southern and sometimes northwestern) I've had maybe one or two drivers try to block me. No big deal really. I was riding in a way that it was not a safety issue and I just changed lanes and passed them anyway. I have, however had a large number of drivers make way for me. Over the past two years in particular (southern) it's a daily occurrence.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac_Tonz View Post
    I am still kinda new to this lane splitting thing - I travel from Massey in west Auckland to Greenlane (via Northwestern) for work. When I got the job I decided dragging a V6 Commodore there everyday would drain my patience and bank account (from gas costs).

So a little 250 cruiser was commissioned along with my (now) provisional.

I follow couple of self-set rules.

* If moving at over 30kmh - no need to split - filter at worst
    * Split at a SLOW speed and acknowledge the best I can anyone that moves over and makes room
    * If driver changes lane in front of me (didn't see me or otherwise) don't make a big deal of it (Beemer did this the other day - when he realized I was there and moved way over to let me split - a quick thumbs up on the way past to let him know "all good"
    * Indicate to let all know what I intend to do
    * No rev bombs - just wait, an opening will come along soon
    * Move out of the way of the more experienced guys and clearly indicate to go ahead

T
    Yes. Sounds awful familiar.
    I should be clearer based on how the terms are used these days: I almost never split but I do filter daily.

To be fair almost none of that was from the last 5-6 years. As the general flow of traffic has gotten worse and the duration of rush hour stretched from 1.5 hours to close to 3 people become more resigned and less affected by seeing someone cruise past while they are stuck.
    I suspect this is why I always found the other motorways friendlier.

I also noticed a massive drop in driver aggression around the time Sons of Anarchy hit or screens.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    The older I get, the less inclined I am to rely on the forbearance / tolerance of a North-of-the-Bombay-Hills-entitled juvenile driver in a turbocharged Japanese import... Just My Opinion. Your Mileage (and Survival) may be better... I certainly hope so.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    No worse than a cyclist falling off then?
    My pick is that yes, it would be worse.

There'd be a lot less kinetic energy available to transfer into the rider from a 10kg pushie compared to 200kg plus of motorized contraption, so you shouldn't fly as far and/or have something as heavy smashing into you (or you into something for that matter). And it's not really a problem getting a leg caught under a pushie, either.

YMMV

Bike
    It was on the good
    Look, I just get annoyed with people who are holier than thou when it comes to clothing. If you don't crash it doesn't matter in the slightest what you are wearing. If you do crash then you better be wearing everything you can. The moral is wear what you like, just don't crash.

HGGR.

Bike
    EX250
    When I started commuting through the Onewa road (North) I didn't split/filter. But even though I thought drivers hated me.
    When I started considering that drivers don't see me, I'd started noticing that some drivers were giving me a way.
    But bus drivers ... some good, some not really. Those guys don't regret anyone, cars suffer as well.
    Upgraded! Slow Orange Green Cruiser Sport

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Got passed by a guy doing this on a Scorpio today. Both lanes were up to about 30kph accelerating away from lights and he must have passed us about 50kph. Not really a safe looking manouevre.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Got passed by a guy doing this on a Scorpio today. Both lanes were up to about 30kph accelerating away from lights and he must have passed us about 50kph. Not really a safe looking manouevre.
    Passing cars doing 30km/h at a delta of 20km/h? What's not safe there?

Thread Information