Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Minutes from BRONZ meeting with ACC minister on safety and levy reduction

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    From the ACC Website:

Workplace Safety Discount (WSD) application overview
    WSD is aimed at self-employed or small businesses (those with 10 or less employees). It starts with a self-assessment and application process, which includes you providing documents as evidence of your health and safety practices, followed by an audit of these by an ACC-approved auditor.

If the auditor concludes that your health and safety systems and practices meet the Workplace Safety Discount audit standards, your business will receive a 10% work cover levy reduction.

The 10% reduction to your work cover levy applies for three years, with declarations required at the end of the first and second years to confirm the business is still eligible and meets the required standards.
    I like how companies can get a discount with 10 or less employees, should apply to 10 or less bikes too, discrimination at work I say.

More on the ACC Site
    Who’d swap the adrenalin, fun and freedom of riding a motorcycle with being cooped up in a boring old car? Not many riders, that’s for sure. However, over the last year, more than 3,500 motorcycle riders were injured while riding their bikes on New Zealand’s roads. Whatever the cause, there’s a lot you can do to improve your safety when you’re on the road, without having to swap two wheels for four!

On this page
    How safe are you?
    Ride Forever
    Scooter riders
    How safe are you?
    Motorcycle riders are 22 times more likely than any other road user to be involved in a crash, and they’re far more likely to be seriously injured. While one of the top two causes of those crashes is the motorcyclist losing control, the other cause is a motorist simply not seeing the rider. Riders need to be constantly monitoring their own riding ability and to be super aware of what’s happening around them.
    A bit patronising me thinks...
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    .....A bit patronising me thinks...
    probably.

That said, with respect to our abiliities as motorcyclists, it is a significant challenge to all of us to stand back, reflect and ask ourselves "am I nearly as good, as I think I am" or more importantly "is there anything I can do to make myself better?"
    The bottom line is, no matter how fair or unfair we believe things to be, we make a choice when get on a bike and that choice means risk. So, how can I stack the odds in my favour, how can I take responsibilty and some control of that risk?
    My other interests see me jumping off perfectly good boats and into water with kilos of lead strapped to my person, on the face of it, a risky undertaking. A few times I have done this jumping into water where 30-40 2m plus sharks are circling. They were there because steps were taken to attract them. If it all went pear shaped, well that would be just too bad. I made a choice and paid a lot of money for the privilege of doing so. Again, my choice. But I took steps to stack the odds in my favour. Mostly I waited on the boat to see if anyone else would get eaten before jumping in.....

I believe ACC to be an intrinsicaly good idea and a preferable option to what I have experinced in other jurisdictions. Its not perfect but what is?
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    On thing that surprised me some months back when I raised this topic on here was the number of riders who would rather pay what we are paying now than have higher ACC charged to those who cause crashes and those that dont pay less. Maybe those who rubbished my idea of having those who cause crashes paying a higher premium were the ones who such a policy would negativly affect.
    I wouldnt be pushing for that if were you... You'll go broke.
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    If you read my post again I said those that cause accidents should be paying more. You assume incorrectly if you think I have caused all the accidents I have been in.
    Why the "All" qualifier?
    You about 7 for 33 or something like that?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAN View Post
    You may be right, or you may be wrong. But from my perspective sitting in the meeting there was actual interest from Nikki.
    That's the core skill of a politician, to sound like they care regardless of whether they do or not.

On thing that surprised me some months back when I raised this topic on here was the number of riders who would rather pay what we are paying now than have higher ACC charged to those who cause crashes and those that dont pay less.
    See the next quote below. The statistics they use the justify the registration costs are grossly misleading. Even if your suggestion was a good idea any decision they make needs to be based on correct information and where it should start.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Are scooter crashes added to motorcycle or car statistics ? As they are ride on a car license it would make sense to be added to car statistics
    +1. Swoop said also remove farm bikes, but I'd also add off road bikes.

Numb nut arse biscuit politicians.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post

+1. Swoop said also remove farm bikes, but I'd also add off road bikes.

Numb nut arse biscuit politicians.
    They claim accidents lodged as not on road on the ACC claim form are not included in the figures.
    The form filled out when you file has tick box area for location of accident being on public road or not.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If they are able to determine who is at fault in a crash they have the correct information to charge more do they not? Plus it may actually serve as motivation to improve road safety.
    At the moment there is very little effort put into establishing culpability in road accidents, especially relative to the UK. Your idea would require a visit to court for every accident prior to beginning ACC pay outs and establishing individual risk profiles for future ACC contributions. Or are you happy having the decision left to people who don't necessarily document the correct sequence of events at accidents or even worse, having an ACC claims clerk decide who is at fault?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    They claim accidents lodged as not on road on the ACC claim form are not included in the figures.
    The form filled out when you file has tick box area for location of accident being on public road or not.
    Charlie Lamb already proved in 2009 that that tick box was completely ignored. If the accident said "motorcycle, farm bike, dirt bike, quad bike, scooter, or motorbike" it just went into the overall stats. No one has attempted to prove that things have changed since 2009, largely because it is a pointless exercise. What the ACC Minister says, goes.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    If they are able to determine who is at fault in a crash they have the correct information to charge more do they not? Plus it may actually serve as motivation to improve road safety.
    I had a sheep run into me, the cops said it was his fault and Larry wasn't denying it.....mainly cos he was dead mutton but still, I couldn't get a cent out him. ACC tried to get something from his estate but in the end it turned out to be a lot of bleating for nothing, bit of a dagg really. Eventually they agreed to give it the chop. Wool that help motivate improved road safety....that's a tail for another day. I say baaaaaa to it.
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    My favorite part of these ACC statistics is, 30% of motorcross and farm bike accidents are caused by a car driver not seeing them. Motorcross bikes should all have headlights and hi vis to improve their visibility, so a car won't run into them.

#logic

(Do we do hash tags on here?)

#yolo

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    MAG are doing a big protest ride on 18th July for every biker that wants to have their voice heard so if you want to go along you will find all the details on Facebook

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    My favorite part of these ACC statistics is, 30% of motorcross and farm bike accidents are caused by a car driver not seeing them. Motorcross bikes should all have headlights and hi vis to improve their visibility, so a car won't run into them.

#logic

(Do we do hash tags on here?)

#yolo
    Oh FFS REALLY???? Now that just makes a complete mockery of the whole fucken SHAM!!!

Just Registered the car today for 6 months $88 bucks, the bike for 6 months $268 bucks fucken disgrace for a no fault system?
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post

75% of rugby accidents happen in the workplace and could have been prevented by high viz jackets.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Every now and then it is actually liberating to realise / reconfirm that politicians and career bureaucrats do not care about logic, facts, truth, moral outcomes, ethics and common sense.

I remind myself of this on a regular basis.

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P

This is the face I make when we talk about AC FUCKIN C! blatantly ripping us off

YES!...its beyond rage!

(Hence, I have now put the rego on hold for the rest of winter...fuck em!, I give the greedy pricks NOTHING over winter now)

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Thread Information