Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W(h)anganui pronunciation

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

W(h)anganui pronunciation

Heard it pronounced numerous different ways on the radio in the last few days. FUNGanui, FONGanui, a local even had the temerity to pronounce it as I've always known it ..Wanganui with the Wang rhyming with song.

Must be frustrating for the locals as much as someone like me who doesn't live there. Any locals from W(h)anganui ?

And what happened to Ken Mair after all that time?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Heard it pronounced numerous different ways on the radio in the last few days. FUNGanui, FONGanui, a local even had the temerity to pronounce it as I've always known it ..Wanganui with the Wang rhyming with song.

Must be frustrating for the locals as much as someone like me who doesn't live there. Any locals from W(h)anganui ?

Considering that the Maori didn't have a written language until Europeans showed up, it was pretty rich of them to enforce that it be spelt with an H.
    Talk about beating a man with the Mere he gave you.

Bike
    a red heap

do you go fishing off the Forf?

Bike
    It was on the good
    He said wanga.

Bike
    Assorted British

What the Whuck you talkin about Wodger? Don't know a Fonganui but I've been to
    the cemetery circuit at Wanganui.

Bike
    Sold

It's just the stupid media clowns trying desperately to out whanga one another and give old Ken Mair's ego a little blow job!

Bike
    Exercycle
    I seem to remember that we were told the pronunciation woudn't change - and the h was optional when (or wen) it was written...

But the media seem to have bought it regardless and pronounce the bloody H.

If you think that's bad ask a local about living in Oh- arm - aru - and if it's any different from OM - aru.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Wh is said using the blowing technique, like when you say White, you blow White, most say Wyte but when you blow the Wh it is said correctly.

waiting

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I like a good blowh
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    the locals (the maaari ones) almost say it like 'hanganui' listen to the song 'poi e' when they say 'whakarunga, whakararo' it sounds like 'hookarunga hookararo' when i was a kid i was told you could choose to make the 'f' sound wanganui, whangarei etc or leave it just as a 'w' sound. i beleive that advice to be correct still, i dont give a fuck how i say it or anyone else for that matter, but those media types full of white guilt will always overdo things to be 'hip' with the minorities of this world
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    I dont think any of you know what the WHUQ you are talking about
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

W(h)anganui pronunciation

Yep Maha nailed it. It's a local dialect to that part of the country up to south Taranaki and across to the Ruapehu area.

Problem is no fecker wants to understand or acknowledge the localised dialect and instead butcher it with the usual wh like ph as in phone.

It ain't hard to get it right, oh except for those try hard tards on TV one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I seem to remember that we were told the pronunciation woudn't change - and the h was optional when (or wen) it was written...

But the media seem to have bought it regardless and pronounce the bloody H.

If you think that's bad ask a local about living in Oh- arm - aru - and if it's any different from OM - aru.
    i'm from wanganui and by putting the h in it it won't be long before everyone is f ing it and it will end up that way. what the mud people have done by getting their way with the spelling will effectively be burying the local dialect that was part of their history hence it being spelt how sit sounded.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm from wanganui and by putting the h in it it won't be long before everyone is f ing it and it will end up that way. what the mud people have done by getting their way with the spelling will effectively be burying the local dialect that was part of their history hence it being spelt how sit sounded.
    I've watched it happen. I grew up saying Maori place names as local Maori did, which was how they were spelt, within the limits of English phonetics.

Maori expert academics have changed the spelling over the years, and that's resulted in newscasters and weather bunnies changing the way they pronounce them. It has had no effect at all on how local Maori pronounce them.

In fact the real experts on how Maori words should be pronounced and spelled were the local Maori and early English settlers alive at the time the two cultures began to communicate. Their opinion? As they originally spelled them.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Was interesting reading Captain Cooks diaries to see how he phonetically spelled maori words. My thinking at the time was that not much has changed re the pronunciation.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information