Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Number plate not mounted in prescribed manner

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop

Number plate not mounted in prescribed manner

Hello people,

Has anyone out there been pinged for their number plate not being mounted in a prescribed manner? If you won your case please put date, name, case number and details and post here or pm me. I have a side mounted plate and just got ticketed - need help.

Thanks

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Think you will find mounted vertically is the description making side mounted fine.
    There has been threads and someone will likely link you there.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Tried searching for yourself?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...scribed+manner

Will also contain links to previous threads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Tried searching for yourself?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...scribed+manner

Will also contain links to previous threads...
    Yes, i have read the thread and also spoken with Jon, thanks. I would like to quote more than one succesful case.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Think you will find mounted vertically is the description making side mounted fine.
    There has been threads and someone will likely link you there.
    Think not my friend, it is about being able to see the number plate from the side.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer View Post
    Think not my friend, it is about being able to see the number plate from the side.
    So if your saying your plates not visible from an angle then wouldn't the trick be to relocate it, pay the ticket and continue on with life?

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    So if your saying your plates not visible from an angle then wouldn't the trick be to relocate it, pay the ticket and continue on with life?
    Law says must be visible from rear. Only indicators need to be seen from 45 degree angle, and my indicators can be.

At what angle can you read a number plate on the back of a car?

I see a lot of boat and horse trailers with side mounted plates. I also see trucks with number plates mounted underneath.

I am not being a dick. My bike has a WOF, rego, LVVTA cert. Been riding around on it most days for last seven or eight years as it takes me to work. Never been pointed out to me before despite being stopped by police for road side checks. So why now? I think being pinged for this is wrong.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Law says must be visible from rear. Only indicators need to be seen from 45 degree angle, and my indicators can be.

At what angle can you read a number plate on the back of a car?

I see a lot of boat and horse trailers with side mounted plates. I also see trucks with number plates mounted underneath.

I am not being a dick. My bike has a WOF, rego, LVVTA cert. Been riding around on it most days for last seven or eight years as it takes me to work. Never been pointed out to me before despite being stopped by police for road side checks. So why now? I think being pinged for this is wrong.
    I have a sideways, side mounted plate on the trailer and have never been pulled over other than check point which several had a very close look. Maybe none wanted say anything in front of their workmates and be wrong about it.
    Mines on an extended bar so is beside the rear tire though. Its kind of cut down also. Plate location isn't a wof requirement and cut down plate cant be failed also but is likely an offence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	063.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	771.7 KB 
ID:	313970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0663.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	774.8 KB 
ID:	313971  

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Jeez Surf that ol Jam jar still going OK since the rebuild after Taumaranui?
    I'm with you, sorry no experience with plate mounting issues. Time you came along to a South Auckland Thursday Night Ride and showed off that beast of a bike.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    R nine T
    I imported a bike from the US of A, it went through compliance etc with a vertical plate mount, they even mounted the plate for me on the vertical mount.I questioned if it was legal and got the answer it was imported with it so its legal to have it.

I rode around for 2 years until I got stopped and ticketed for it, anybody can mount a vertical plate, but it aint legal to the book, I made it legal to the book so the popo wont interrupt anymore while enjoying riding.

Which side do you have it ? Probably better on the left where it can be seen from the side of the road (speed cameras, there is someone in the van who can read the plate as you go past, have got pinged like that before)

My brother who lives in Canada built an XS650 streettracker many years ago, built from parts, and they don't need a WoF over there. 10 years on the road and he got stopped by a cop who said she couldn't read the plate. He had to take it for certification, much tougher than our VIN - he had to make it 1974 spec - indicators, side reflectors on the forks, correct speedo and a whole bunch of other stuff. As the bike was built from parts he had a lot of trouble getting it through and still be a streettracker.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by bmws1r View Post
    .I questioned if it was legal and got the answer it was imported with it so its legal to have it.
    All motorcycles in NZ (except Brittens) are imported.

Bike
    R nine T
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Use common sense if you can, it was a used bike, just like cars that are imported USED from japan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    and NZeta's and Mcintosh Bathhurst replicas..... Brittens weren't road legal either, these other two were.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hello people,

Has anyone out there been pinged for their number plate not being mounted in a prescribed manner? If you won your case please put date, name, case number and details and post here or pm me. I have a side mounted plate and just got ticketed - need help.

Thanks
    Have you paid the fine yet .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information