Thread: Chain oilers

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Chain oilers

I daily my Gixxer and seem to always be faced with a rather dry chain when I finally get round to oiling it, which I try to do every 500km.

Does anyone use an automatic chain oiler?
    I've been eyeing up the Tutoro system. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also, what are the merits of an automatic vs manual system?

Bike
    A
    Scottoiler (on a low dispensing setting) works for me. Does make a bit of a mess, but chains and sprockets live much longer as well.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I have heard great things about the Scott Oiler - so much so it is the 2nd next purchase I shall be making for my Hayabusa.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Cheers. When you say "makes a bit of a mess", is there any way oil could end up splattered on the tyre? That would be my worry....

Also, do you have to use their oil or can you just buy something bog standard at repco?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Cheers. When you say "makes a bit of a mess", is there any way oil could end up splattered on the tyre? That would be my worry....

Also, do you have to use their oil or can you just buy something bog standard at repco?
    The Scottoiler is quite sensitive I think, most have problems trying to use anything else in it. There are other oilers, but I've had a Scottoiler on the Hornet since 20k ish... so 110k I think.

Basically, you turn it down a little during summer otherwise the heat speeds up the flow, then turn it up during winter. You'll have to fiddle to get the right setting for yourself...

As said, there are others, never used them tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

With the setting right you may get a little on the rim but not the tyre. I have not had that. We have them on 2 bikes and one will be going on another.

Just use the scottoiler oil. Works the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A

Summertime you need to dial the dispenser back a little, and in wintertime up it a little, just a wee learning curve. As for the bit of a mess, you get some splatter on the rim and number plate etc. No worries about the tyre getting covered, well not in the last 20 odd years for me anyway.

As for what to put in the Scottoiler, I'm Dutch and I still reckon buying the proper Scottoiler oil is the most cost effective solution in the long run. My guess is a half litre bottle lasts me around 25,000 kms, and the last one I bought was maybe $25... Yeah I've tried other stuff but it just seems to mess with the flow rate or block the damn thing up altogether.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Have a Scott Oiler on all 3 bikes with no issues to date, longest serving is on Blackbird 1 having done @220,000km & changed chain/sprocket twice but will have new chain/sprocket when rebuild gets to that point, highly recommend I was quoted @$620 for electric version or @$220 for vacuum version when I put one on the ZX14, went for vacuum as I have only used them & price was a turnoff
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone use an automatic chain oiler?
    I have had a Scott Oiler on several bikes. The biggest problem was when I tried the then new twin nozzle system, that was a pain in the arse and got the flick; single nozzle does just fine.

Once somebody fiddled with the adjuster and I was suddenly getting more oil than I needed but I discovered that before it caused a problem. It does go against the national religion I know, but just follow the instructions that come with the oiler to adjust it and you should be fine.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information