Thread: Replace one rotor or both?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki SV1000S

Replace one rotor or both?

One of my front rotors is warped, confirmed as I spun the wheel on a front stand, but I was wondering if it's standard procedure to change both front rotors in this case? Approx 70k now and they've never been replaced before.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Doing one won't affect the performance. Check the thickness of them though, might be close to minimum thickness on both if they're 70k old. In which case, do them both.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair-SV View Post
    One of my front rotors is warped, confirmed as I spun the wheel on a front stand, but I was wondering if it's standard procedure to change both front rotors in this case? Approx 70k now and they've never been replaced before.
    They can be machined to correct the warp. But depending on how much warp there is ... would dictate how much thickness of the rotor needs to be removed.

There is a minimum thickness for each model ... and I suggest you find out what that is for your bike .. and go from there.

Just check it is the rotor that is warped ... and not just a badly seated brake pad
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Make sure one of the rivets are not bound up first and holding the rotor on an angle.

Replacing both same time and checking pistons are returning correctly would be the best fix if your exchanging parts. New pads if new rotors also.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    They can be machined to correct the warp. But depending on how much warp there is ... would dictate how much thickness of the rotor needs to be removed.

There is a minimum thickness for each model ... and I suggest you find out what that is for your bike .. and go from there.

Just check it is the rotor that is warped ... and not just a badly seated brake pad
    Never heard of anyone machining bike rotors. They have about 1.5mm from brand new to minimum thickness. There simply isn't enough material spare to cut off.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Never heard of anyone machining bike rotors. They have about 1.5mm from brand new to minimum thickness. There simply isn't enough material spare to cut off.
    there's a lot you haven't heard of Drew. it may only be warped a few thou, 1.5mm is 60 thou FYI

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    there's a lot you haven't heard of Drew. it may only be warped a few thou, 1.5mm is 60 thou FYI
    A few thou runout on a floating disk, you wouldn't notice. I'll wager there are loads of disks with that much from the factory.

Old shit with massively chunky solid rotors can be machined I suppose, but modern floting items are fucked if you can feel a pulse at the lever or shudder.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    but modern floting items are fucked if you can feel a pulse at the lever or shudder.
    Unless a rivets stuck.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Actually ... the OP indicates he has a 2006 SV1000S. A quick look shows the (new) disc thickness for them is 4.5 mm ... with a minimum thickness of 4 mm.

The OP hasn't stated how far the bike has traveled (pertaining to actual disc thickness NOW) ... or how bad the warp IS ...

Interesting to note ... he needed to put it on a wheel stand to confirm it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Unless a rivets stuck.
    I've got no experience with that, I'll have to take your word that it happens.

Bike
    suzuki
    I've got no experience with that, I'll have to take your word that it happens.
    i bet you've had your rivet stuck in several places it shouldn't have been...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i bet you've had your rivet stuck in several places it shouldn't have been...
    Hahahaha. Less that it shouldn't have been, more that I regret however.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Get some new wave bastards and do the pair

Bike
    2006 Suzuki SV1000S
    I've pretty much decided to do the pair since that means I can also get some bling new rotors like the EBC XC series. The run-out on the bent rotor is pretty terrible, the lever was pulsing every time I used the brakes. On the stand with pads removed I'd say it was easily 1mm out, possibly more.

So now to decide which rotors to get? Any reputable sources out there I should check out?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Be a little wary of the cheap ones. Some outfits make them from plate. But when plate is made it is rolled up like carpet for ease of transport. So it sits like that for some time. After it's flattened back out it runs true, right up untill you heat it up.

Is it 'metalgear' that make them in New Zealand? I've heard many bad reports of this happening to their stuff.

Thread Information