Thread: 2015 KTM 690 fork springs questions

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650

2015 KTM 690 fork springs questions

Heya all

Having bought a KTM 690 Enduro I am currently setting it up for me.

The common complaint is the forks being harsh so I am dealing to that one step at a time, this is a post I swing on ADV and thought I would brush it by local lads too.

Did an accurate measure last night for static sag with rider, I am 75 kg

Front with nylon spacers in, 54 mm sag

Front with nylon spacers out, 68 mm sag, nylon spacers measure 14.5 mm

Rear as it came out of the box, 68 mm.

Fork Spring is 4.8 mm wire diameter and 453 long.

Book says 465 mm including spacers, mine totals 467.5 so 1.5 mm longer.

For me bein a short bastid the static sag would be better toward the 80 mm (books says 70 mm- 80mm) as it would help with my standover height and I prefer softer suspension. Looking to change out to .50 or close, any of you 690 fullas done anything similar? .... results?

Cheers Andi
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    Not with spring height and stuff bit I did fit a one inch Kuba lowering link and dropped my suspension from firm to standard ....bug difference on my bum and great with the lowering link...quality piece if kit...hope this helps..

Bike
    1290s
    hi andi

just finished setting my '15 up.

i'm 95kg out of the shower and went with a bigger spring at the back to get the sag right. this jacked the back up which has put more weight on the front. mine is built as a high speed dirt/gravel tourer with pannier racks and a safari tank.

so far, so good. giving the fork some work to do with the extra weight has been an improvement. i'm still not finished twiddling the clickers at either end yet

afaik most complaints about the fork harshness is in the damping, not necessarily the springs.

i'm not an expert but if you can get the sag right at both ends and you still cant find damping settings that work, try some lighter fork oil otherwise i guess a change of valving is reqd.

if youre on advrider, pm inmate the letter j, he knows his shiz about 690 suspension

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by wtf? View Post
    hi andi

just finished setting my '15 up.

i'm 95kg out of the shower and went with a bigger spring at the back to get the sag right. this jacked the back up which has put more weight on the front. mine is built as a high speed dirt/gravel tourer with pannier racks and a safari tank.

so far, so good. giving the fork some work to do with the extra weight has been an improvement. i'm still not finished twiddling the clickers at either end yet

afaik most complaints about the fork harshness is in the damping, not necessarily the springs.

i'm not an expert but if you can get the sag right at both ends and you still cant find damping settings that work, try some lighter fork oil otherwise i guess a change of valving is reqd.

if youre on advrider, pm inmate the letter j, he knows his shiz about 690 suspension
    Heya Scoota boy, cheers for your reply, I flipped the base valve which worked incredibly well and changed to 5w fully syn fiork oil.

While the damping now is close to spot on I still can't achieve static sag and use only a portion of the travel.

I think I will invest in some .50 or .52, will contact letter Jand see if he can spread some wisdom on the spring rates.

Loving the bike, just run her in now so can start to stretch her legs a little.

Cheers Andi
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Thread Information