Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The joy of riding in the rain...

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Yeah - the Plastic bag trick has been a life saver - it sucks working with wet socks.
    I have had quite a few people chuckle when they see in have spare undies and socks in my desk at work.
    I don't care. At least not as much as I care sitting at a desk all day with wet feet or nuts because I chose wrong deciding to wear wets or not.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Wet nuts I can deal with, but the Squelch Squelch Squelch when I walk is irritating.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I have had quite a few people chuckle when they see in have spare undies and socks in my desk at work.
    I don't care. At least not as much as I care sitting at a desk all day with wet feet or nuts because I chose wrong deciding to wear wets or not.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Got a whole locker at work, so that's a problem that's easily solved for me...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Wet nuts I can deal with, but the Squelch Squelch Squelch when I walk is irritating.
    You're kinda ambiguous in clearing that up. Would your nuts make that squelch noise as you walk...

The only bad part about arriving wet at work is the prospect of not all gear being sufficiently dry at the end of the shift, and I've got a drying cupboard with heating in our locker room. Hence folks sometimes ask why I need several pairs of gloves

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Got a whole locker at work, so that's a problem that's easily solved for me...

You're kinda ambiguous in clearing that up. Would your nuts make that squelch noise as you walk...

The only bad part about arriving wet at work is the prospect of not all gear being sufficiently dry at the end of the shift, and I've got a drying cupboard with heating in our locker room. Hence folks sometimes ask why I need several pairs of gloves
    I quite enjoy the ride,but the wet weather gearing up is drag,esp if its only a short ride,then the disrobing at the other end

My feet got wet this morning - I have waterproof boots, and overboots, but on the Airhead with your feet behind the cyls, feet stay warm and dry. Spending the day in soggy workboots brought back memories of when I didn't own an Airhead. Now I know the level of precipitation that gets into my boots, I'll forget to take measures next time.....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I quite enjoy the ride,but the wet weather gearing up is drag,esp if its only a short ride,then the disrobing at the other end
    this exactly is what stops me taking the bike on wet days, literally nowhere to put my wet gear.
    its a shame because the bike is literally 2x as economical as the car.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Last week had a breakaway and fish-tale on the 919 Hilda on a dead straight road cruising quietly along at speed limit. Handled it o.k, any faster it would have been an off. Happened also to a mate on a different road, just spat him into the roadside with a bit of damage VFR1000.
    It was that shiny tar coming through to the surface. Seems all these trucks on the road are taking it's toll. The rail system is under used, I believe that may change in the future.

What appears to be happening meantime is " Slippery when wet" sign are popping up everywhere, a cheap way around not fixing the problem.

Next tyre change i'm opting for Road Pilot 4's, haven't heard a bad thing about them for riding in wet.

Here's a rant, why isn't the excessive registration fees we motorcyclists pay going into fixing the roads so they are safe to travel on instead of into an ambulance for when you slid off. Fix the problem, and leave the farkin flag alone,over!.

So meantime... wet and shiny, be bloody care-full out there.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    What chacturistics does a good wet weather tyre have? Would a duel purpose tyre be any good on wet Tarmac?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYDEO View Post
    What chacturistics does a good wet weather tyre have? Would a duel purpose tyre be any good on wet Tarmac?
    You wont see ANY "Duel purpose" tyre on ANY race track on wet days ... unless they intend going OFF the track ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    There is a current thread active on Michelin Road Pilot 4's. Concurs they are great for wet. My mechanic does a lot of riding XJR 1300 and has them fitted, swears by them.

No matter what tyre the shiny stuff is shitte and if not carefull your bum will be stealing the buttons off the seat.

I often aim for the shiny spots to check my grip levels in the rain....you don't know how much traction you have until it slips, good to do it on a small section of less grip than on the better condition stuff. Sometimes do it in the dry too.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Spots, we got stretches of it down here, if it slips there is no grip level, you're basically off unless you do an impressive save.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SPv2 are fine.............................................. .................................................. ............ weather tyres.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Spots, we got stretches of it down here, if it slips there is no grip level, you're basically off unless you do an impressive save.
    It's the same everywhere - aim for a small spot in a corner, or cross over a strip. Mind you, I don't seem to have any problems with all the other dangerous road conditions everyone whinges about on this site.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I often aim for the shiny spots to check my grip levels in the rain....you don't know how much traction you have until it slips, good to do it on a small section of less grip than on the better condition stuff. Sometimes do it in the dry too.
    Ditto. Occasionally give it some gas or rear brake on obviously slippy road for the same reason. Straight road.... no traffic. Just in case. I go out and practice my braking in the rain for the same reason, particularly at the beginning and end of my tires life.

I find it hard to grizzle to much about our roads and I live in Northland, bottom of the food chain. Seen far worse in Europe.

One example being motorway through the Benelux countries. Heading through these countries to France on a 1000km + day in torrential rain I kept coming across whole lanes glued with bitumen, no chip, no grip, no visibilty due to road spray. The first time, my first lesson, was when I realised the revs were going up but the bike was getting slower, stuck a boot down to test the grip and nothing, like ice. The tar can go for 40-50m and can cover two lanes completely. Terrifying with huge trucks blasting past, riding in a power shower at 120kmh.

Tar snakes, not to fazed. Ride to the conditions.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information