Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The joy of riding in the rain...

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    It's the same everywhere - aim for a small spot in a corner, or cross over a strip. Mind you, I don't seem to have any problems with all the other dangerous road conditions everyone whinges about on this site.

I'm talking real Southland pissing down rain here. The shiny described is both sides of the road, cross a wet painted line, no thanks.

5 Rivers, and Ryal Bush if travelling this way. Google maps shows 2013 conditions deteriorating, it's heaps worse now.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Two of my most favourite rides have been in rainy conditions.
    Did the coromandel loop a few years back on my CBR900.
    Was rainy enough that the roads were quiet, and it slowly cleared up, and became one of the best rides of my life.
    The other involved SH16 and Old north road, and racing another bike on a CB1000RR, accidentally powerwheelieing out of corners in the rain. Steering damper saved me a few times that day.

Also second Road 3s and 4s. I'm running 4s on my predator, and in the wet, the bike will sooner wheelie than spin the rear tyre when you open the throttle.

Bike
    A
    So today I did the figure 8 on the Coro loop, and went to see olds further on down the BOP after that. The variety of road surfaces around the Coro loop is puzzling, same for the variations of corner speed advisories. Drop down from Whangamata to Waihi and plenty of corners got no speed markers at all... Not sure what to make of the road marking trial showing the tighter corners coming up, if I hadn't heard about them thru the ACC funded council thingee I'd be wondering what the extra paint was all about. Bit damp around the top of the loop, and again on the way home. The run from Waitakaruru thru the Hunuas and home around the back of Papakura showed the variety of surface grip available once again.

Admittedly the PR4s are close to needing replacement, but still they give good feedback, maybe just 'cause I've got nothing to prove and ride relaxed. Bless hot grips and polyprop underlayers as well once the rain sets in

Bike
    bandit
    So spring is in the air - we can shelve this discussion until late Autumn ???
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    hardly sometimes this time of year is worse for rain...like this week for example!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    hardly sometimes this time of year is worse for rain...like this week for example!
    I'd say! Fawkin wet to the crotch in 10 minutes flat in Chch the other night. Horizontal as fawk and thick as fog. Fun fun.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    So, ya not doing the Burt Munro this year Tis not the weather, tis if you can get through the weekend with out skids ( in any shape or form), that is the challenge , if you choose to accept it, this post will self destruct soon.

Bike
    2009, Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

Went thru the Dome Valley today in the rain in the truck, hadn't been up that way for a month or three, and by crikey the amount of shiny tar was staggering. Just trying to pick a safe and sensible line thru there on the bike would be quite a task
    I'm a new rider and had a couple of pucker moments on wet shiny tar up there. Pulled the pin at the cafe and had a latte to calm the nerves then headed south again. Changed my tyres, did some rider ever courses, some YouTube training and put in more seat time and feeling more comfortable. First scary one was riding at night up the old east coast highway in the rain and realising there's no street lighting. Made me avoid the place for about a month but not anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
    Fitted Road pilot 4's ...confidence restored. Must be Autumn

Thread Information