Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car mechanical issues: engine replaced, now turbo has gone

Bike
    Kawasaki

Car mechanical issues: engine replaced, now turbo has gone

My wife's car broke down two weeks ago, the bearings seized and caused the cambelt to disintegrate - destroying the engine.

Half a week later a new (second hand) engine arrived at the mechanics, and they had it in the car in one day, with "thorough testing", then spent the next giving it a full service at our request.

Car was fixed. Yay, but expensive.

After having driven the car for less than 1Km from picking it up from the mechanics, home one day, and then to the supermarket the next, it broke down.

1Km. Less than 1Km to be precise, and all at speeds under 50Km/h. She's gentle on the acceleration as well.

Now it is back at the mechanics and they are telling her that it is the (original) turbo that has packed up, the same turbo that they removed, and then put back on the new engine, possibly damaging the new engine by releasing metal particles into it.

My question is, who is responsible for any further costs? Us because it is the original turbo that has caused the additional damage? Or the mechanics who have removed, and then reconnected the part (possibly not properly) before it failed?

Thoughts from mechanical experts, law experts, and general KB keyboard warriors welcome.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    You would have a very good claim to be made under the CGA.

All work should be carried out with Due care and attention - since the car broke down less than 1 Km after being fixed, your argument would be that clearly the repairs weren't carried out with due care.

Was the turbo inspected before being replaced? it would seem that a worn out turbo that was due to fail should have been identified. Also, did the replacement engine come with a turbo attached? Presumably they ordered one without a turbo as it would be cheaper, there may be a claim here that they were cutting corners instead of ordering the correct replacement (may be harder to make that argument)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Depends what you instructed them or agreed for them to do, and what is detailed on the receipt for the work.

What was the cause of the bearing failure, and which bearings?.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Depends what you instructed them or agreed for them to do, and what is detailed on the receipt for the work.

What was the cause of the bearing failure, and which bearings?.
    presumably big end. Presumably oil starved/ pump failure.

Presumably turbo should have been checked. 'letting metal into the engine' sounds like a fuckup. A 'full day service' presumably includes 'checking that it wont fuck out 1km later'

presumably a turbo engine dropped in, unless they swapped the manifold and plumbing off the original, which should have been thoroughly checked either way.

I'd say it's their cost.

Bike
    motocompo
    Turbos frequently shit themselves & I have never seen a case where it wrecks the engine.
    I have a diesel BMW X3 here at the moment that has shat the turbo big time, apart from draining & flushing the intercooler of oil & the same with the entire exhaust system (the longest & messiest part of the job) experience has taught me to look no further for damage to the engine. To give it a new air filter and an oil & filter change or complete service is about as far as I will need to go.
    To be fair the garage involved will be pretty crushed at the current outcome & probably used your old turbo in an effort to save you some money, as im sure if turbos were free they would have had no hesitation in chucking it a new one, which was fairly noble of them.
    Weather or not you had put them under any pressure to keep the price down I don't know, but bear that in mind when dealing with them.
    A good bastard would charge you for a turbo & fit it labour free as a gesture of goodwill, weather they do that or not remains to be seen. But suffice to say, the cost of the turbo is yours, not theirs.
    I have no idea what the legal angle is, a my sense of what is right & what is wrong kicks in long before anyone would ever need to get lawyered up.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    There are several things that fit "the turbo has failed'

Oil starvation. Seals leak. Bearings fucked. Housing cracked. Mounting surface warped. Wheel flies apart.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    If a turbo fails on the exhaust side often little to no engine damage occurs. If the failure occurs on the inlet side trouble ensue.
    The turbo is lubricated from the common oil source.
    If an engine has seized the oil supply and feed lines are contaminated.
    Sounds to me that they haven't been suspicious enough in ensuring the repair is complete.
    If a turbo was 10 min away from terminal failure due to normal wear and tear then this would have been apparent. The failure is as a result of something not right rather than a case of 'bad luck'
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    If a turbo was 10 min away from terminal failure due to normal wear and tear then this would have been apparent. The failure is as a result of something not right rather than a case of 'bad luck'
    Absolutely. The turbo failure is related to the original problem & not just an amazing coincidence. Don't be buying that story.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Thanks for the advice/ideas guys.

I've spent a little time today doing some research, even contacted an authorised Subaru dealer/repairer who said that it's not necessary to replace the turbo when swapping the engine, and it's actually quite expensive as you can quite easily check to see if there is anything wrong with it that requires replacement once it's been taken off of the old engine.

You'd certainly notice if the turbo wasn't operating properly from a visual inspection once off the engine, and should be able to tell if it was less than 1Km from complete failure.

I don't have much info as my wife has had to deal with all of this herself and she was concerned by what they were saying to her. I've gone and seen the mechanic in person as I'm within walking distance, and I've come away feeling a little suspicious of the words/tone the business owner is using as well.

They don't know what is wrong yet, but they've already taken a defensive position - before being asked a single question.

I'm just gathering info, and sorting out a next step if one needs to be taken.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Absolutely. The turbo failure is related to the original problem & not just an amazing coincidence. Don't be buying that story.
    +1................
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

My wife's car broke down two weeks ago, the bearings seized and caused the cambelt to disintegrate - destroying the engine.
    What caused the bearings to seize? can really only be oil pump failure ( rare) or lack of oil ( not so rare)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

What caused the bearings to seize? can really only be oil pump failure ( rare) or lack of oil ( not so rare)
    Turns out its a Subie. Poor woman was probably just using it normally.

Bike
    Kawasaki

I don't know anything about the initial problem as I wasn't there, don't drive the car, and it was towed directly to mechanic's yard.

My wife was told: "Cambelt disintegrated due to seized bearings, which ruined engine". I'll have to track down the paperwork when I get the chance, it's probably still in the car...

I weighed up buying a new vehicle instead of replacing the engine, but that would have made it worthless when trying to get rid of it. The car itself was worth significantly more (to us) by having an (lower km) engine replacement.

Regardless, with a new (second-hand) engine with a warranty, fitted properly with testing, and a full service, you'd expect a few more than 500m-1000m from it all.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Not in a Subaru. I'm picking it is a Legacy? Very easy to blow a big end on them, most the time it is because muppets put boost taps on em and up the boost, but even in an unmolested example it can happen.

I would say you have a very good case against them if it has damaged the replacement engine. Either way I would hit them up for a replacement turbo, shouldn't cost em too much to source.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post

Thoughts from mechanical experts, law experts, and general KB keyboard warriors welcome.
    ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    .... my wife has had to deal with all of this herself....
    you're not going to win husband of the year.

Thread Information