Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GN250 custom project: Wheels

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ER6-n
    Blog Entries

GN250 custom project: Wheels

I'm looking out for suggestions on wheels from anyone who has done a custom project...see the GN has similar outer diameter tyres, but the rear rim is 16" and the front is 18". Don't really like the chunky look at the back. I'd like to put an 18" rim on the back. Is it best to find a wheel from a different bike that will bolt straight on? (Scorpio? etc) Maybe re-lace the rear wheel to keep the current hub but find an 18" rim that would fit. I have seen numerous examples online of GNs with either 2 16s or 2 18. I think having the wheels equal sized makes the bike look a little less low end cruiser and a little more refined.

(Note my use of "Custom" and not "Cafe Racer"...I'd like to say I'm working on a cafe but the GN would never do the ton!)

Before you go and bag on my GN, chances are you have not ridden one that has been lowered, lightened, and adulterated. It is actually a scream to ride and sounds awesome.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KIPS powervalve View Post
    I'm looking a little more refined.

Alcohol is a wonderful thing.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by KIPS powervalve View Post
    Before you go and bag on my GN, chances are you have not ridden one that has been lowered, lightened, and adulterated. It is actually a scream to ride and sounds awesome.
    Hahahahaha

Oh, wait?

You are Serious?!?!

HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

*Deep Breath*

HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Oh, wait?

You are Serious?!?!
    Well he's probably like a few of us that aren't stupid enough to think you need a big modern bike with lots of HP to have some fum
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Hahahahaha

Oh, wait?

You are Serious?!?!

*Deep Breath*

My NZ250 was a hoot. Wouldn't have ridden it to Auckland (partly because it was made of rust), but around town it was fun and peppy enough. I can imagine a GN doing the business for someone.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Well he's probably like a few of us that aren't stupid enough to think you need a big modern bike with lots of HP to have some fum
    Yep...A few of us ride slow old pommy things that blow some of ya flash shit off on the right roads

Bike
    a red heap
    Even though my bike is made this century, its still assumed that it has more than double its actual HP.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Gn or ZX14, if someone is prepared to have a go and create something different, then good on him. It takes a lot more skill to change things and can be far more rewarding than to just bolt on aftermarket parts.

There was a GN cafe/bobber type bike on T Me some time ago. It was one of the neatest modified bikes I've seen.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Depends what kind of Fun you are after really - Me, I have my Dream Bike and it does what I need of it (and more)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    GN 250, K100
    Blog Entries

Challenge

Dude, ignore the shit from people who have nothing better to say. If its fun, do it. Do it heaps.

Re: wheel size change - having re-laced a couple of wheels, its not a huge issue to true a wheel, just takes time. BUT...a set of spokes to lace an 18" rim to your GN hub will set you back the better part of a hundy. Beware of what is available from China/Taiwan only because you need to make sure you get both inner and outer spokes - they differ in neck angle. Think the rear GN hub is same size left and right, but sometimes hubs on front wheels differ in sizes left and right.

I'm into a bobber GN project at the moment. So far have shaved several kilos off the frame, pulled and stripped motor. Taken the time to polish engine internals - made a world of difference in how smoothly things work and slide against each other. Today was a modest head polish - take out the gross casting tags. Not a mirror job but undoubtedly wont make things worse. Pod filter, less restrictive exhaust, carb tune, normal tune up things - plus going to a 16 tooth front and 47 (? not sure about that) rear will change the gearing significantly. Saw an indicated (yeah right!) 135kph (140 downhill hahaha!) on a stock geared pretty sad old GN, so I have hopes that modest engine mods and gearing will bring me closer to the magic ton.

If you do manage a larger diameter rear wheel in there be prepared for some handling differences - will slightly alter rake. On the plus will drop your gearing a bit. Probably easiest to see if an existing 18" wheel will fit within the swingarm - heaps of side room so shouldn't have issues there (unless you try to fit a Harley fat boy rear wheel). Issue will more likely be hub & spacers dimensions. Remember that the rear sprocket needs to align with front - so its not as simple as fitting a hub with the same width. From my point of view I'd say feasible within reason (everything can be made to work with enough $ and time).

Chuck some pics up if you can.

Bike
    GN 250, K100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Gn or ZX14, if someone is prepared to have a go and create something different, then good on him. It takes a lot more skill to change things and can be far more rewarding than to just bolt on aftermarket parts.

There was a GN cafe/bobber type bike on T Me some time ago. It was one of the neatest modified bikes I've seen.
    If its the one I am thinking of - yeah, sweet, meticulous look. Not radical but definitely professional looking. Asking price reflected that.

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ER6-n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    BUT...a set of spokes to lace an 18" rim to your GN hub will set you back the better part of a hundy.
    Where do I start looking? Could I use a GN front rim on the back with new spokes? Thanks for your reply by the way. I'd love to have the patience, skills and tools to strip the engine and polish, resleeve, etc. For now I have put a pod on, open pipe, thought about rejet, but it runs mint without rejetting. Lowered front end 2", repaint, clean the cluster to just the speedo. NEED to sort out that seat though, and the indicators, I'll have to get some good pics up. Oh and the front brake feels like pads are made of mashed potato.

And to all the haters laughing. Laugh. That's what a custom bike is all about. Seriously, the GN is more fun in many ways than my 650 Kwaka, especially on gravel! Definitely makes me laugh. And swear. It sure is more fun actually making things for the bike from complete scratch than buying things that fit right on.

N.B. The photo was taken a few months ago, but apart from the instrument cluster, it is pretty much the same. Work in progress!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	562.0 KB 
ID:	315137  

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Hahahahaha

Oh, wait?

You are Serious?!?!

*Deep Breath*

Mine's okay

I have a DR200 rim on mine, but TF125 and TS185s run the same 18 with right pattern on the spokes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    is your other 'Saved Search' seeing eye dogs?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    There are quite a few rims that'll just go straight in. Couple mates have laced 17in alloy rims to theirs and 19 up front, but that was to fit MX tyres.

Thread Information