Thread: Newbie moving to Visitor thread

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki

Newbie moving to Visitor thread

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks to Smiffy's suggestion am moving out of Newbies thread to more appropriate one. I have had lots of help from the old thread and really appreciate it. Many people thinking I'm biting off more than I can chew mileage-wise. However, my usual trips are based on 250 miles a day every day. I don't stay anywhere more than overnight. My idea of a mc vacation is riding every day. With a time frame of 21 days and 250 miles a day that's about 5000 miles give or take. My maps below add up to a little less than that which gives me some leeway to explore a little more if I want.
    From everything I've ever read about NZ it is a riding paradise so I'm concentrating on the physical beauty and blowing off most of the cultural. My parents are English so I am acquainted with much of that part of NZ's culture but I may neglect the Maori part in interest of the ride being first priority. Hope you guys have Marmite, Cadbury's chocolate and Ribena. Just kidding I know you do. Would love to find some place that serves spotted dick or dog. I'd go out of my way for that.
    Just picked up a half dozen guidebooks and am reading my way through. I expect to ask more questions as different topics come up.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions and help coming my way. Negative suggestions about my routes are more than welcome. I'm a first time visitor and am planning on no hotel reservations anywhere so I'm readily adaptable to any route changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ map north island south part 2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	315191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ map 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	690.1 KB 
ID:	315192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ map south island 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	315193

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki
    Smiffy, if you send me your phone number I'll give you a call when I'm in the Rotorua area. I've found that bikers everywhere have a favorite route that usually isn't in the guidebooks so I'd welcome you showing me one.
    My email is kurereyo at cox dot net.

MD,
    You're right about the distances but I'm a wuss about sore arses. My OZ trip friend just went to Sturgis and he did 2 days of over 1000 kms on the freeway to get there. He was on tight schedule. We took 5 days to get there. Guess it really depends on whether the ride or the destination is your priority. Mine has always been the ride. We only spent 2 days at Sturgis and that was more than enough even though most people went there for the entire 9 days to party.
    Revised map to add your Akaroa ride, guide book actually says the fish and chip shop there has best in NZ.
    Will add Westport to Karamea one. If it's only 3 hr round trip why compulsory Karamea Hotel stay?
    The parts of the Collingwood-Puponga Main Rd I looked at seem to be paved, true all the way? Is Puponga last stop or ?
    Haast to Jackson Bay also adding. Google only accepting so many stops so splitting south island into 2 maps also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1NZ map north island part A.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	690.1 KB 
ID:	315204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2NZ map north island part B.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	315203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3NZ map south island part A.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	315202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4NZ map south island part B.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	576.2 KB 
ID:	315201  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    See if you can fit Paihia - Opua - (ferry) - Russel - Oakura - Whakapara in that east coast of Northland sweep. About an extra hour plus whatever wait is for the ferry. Quick snack at Russel itself is a worthwhile back-track.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
    MD,
    You're right about the distances but I'm a wuss about sore arses. My OZ trip friend just went to Sturgis and he did 2 days of over 1000 kms on the freeway to get there. He was on tight schedule. We took 5 days to get there. Guess it really depends on whether the ride or the destination is your priority. Mine has always been the ride. We only spent 2 days at Sturgis and that was more than enough even though most people went there for the entire 9 days to party.
    Revised map to add your Akaroa ride, guide book actually says the fish and chip shop there has best in NZ.
    Will add Westport to Karamea one. If it's only 3 hr round trip why compulsory Karamea Hotel stay?
    The parts of the Collingwood-Puponga Main Rd I looked at seem to be paved, true all the way? Is Puponga last stop or ?
    Haast to Jackson Bay also adding. Google only accepting so many stops so splitting south island into 2 maps also.
    Such are the roads and scenery in NZ ... every 100 km's or so ... the change in both is usually quite apparent. Often swift but usually subtle ... and a lot of visitors (and locals) want to keep going to see what is around the next corner. If you are one who likes taking photo's ... it may be that you need a good memory card ... or get them put onto a disc at regular (short) intervals.

But ... there are few roads in NZ worth riding (except out of necessity) that even remotely resemble Freeways ... and it's often difficult to maintain an average speed of the legal open road speed limit. (100km/hr) Regardless of whether or not you wish to adhere to the limits or not.

I might suggest a sheepskin seat cover ... your ass will thank you later.

There are a few (paved) side trips in the Westport Karamea leg ... well worth doing if time permits. And the Karamea hotel is very much Biker friendly ... and not a bad place to stop.

But it is your trip ... you decide where you need/want to stop.

There is walks from the start of the Farewell Spit ... but no public access elsewhere on the Spit except by DOC permit or with a licensed tour operator. Puponga is the end of the paved road .. but about a Kilometer of gravel road to the Cafe at the start of the spit. I am unaware of any fuel availability at (or near) Puponga.

Haast to Jacksons bay is a nice ride ... but due to the undulating nature of the road surface ... it is not a fast road. Even as it consists of many straight sections. The road was built over many swamps ... and as the accepted method of road construction (at the time) was to lay large logs across the road line ... and gravel on the top. Some subsidence has then occured .. creating the "waves" on the road surface. Other parts of the West coast roads have similar (but not as severe) issues.

Booking accommodation in the main (tourist) centers may be required at any time of the year ... but in smaller towns .. good and cheap accommodation can be found in some of the lesser known hotels and lodges. Books on the Budget Accommodation available in NZ can be found online.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki
    Great advice thanks FJRider. Am not a racer by any means. On our back roads that are not freeways the speed limit is 95kmh and we try to stay within 5 over most of the time. But I can be content with 80 km/hr if necessary. Am bringing my air hawk seat so that should solve butt problem. Wish every seat was like the Honda Shadow 400 I had in OZ. Best seat ever, gonna get one for my Suzuki Savage. I'm totally ok with budget accommodations, don't do any entertaining only sleeping and showering.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
    Great advice thanks FJRider. Am not a racer by any means. On our back roads that are not freeways the speed limit is 95kmh and we try to stay within 5 over most of the time. But I can be content with 80 km/hr if necessary. Am bringing my air hawk seat so that should solve butt problem. Wish every seat was like the Honda Shadow 400 I had in OZ. Best seat ever, gonna get one for my Suzuki Savage. I'm totally ok with budget accommodations, don't do any entertaining only sleeping and showering.
    There is a general "Tolerance" most Highway patrol offices allow of 4 km/hr ... should you be stopped ... neither admit or deny anything. Other than you know what the posted speed limit is. A vocal rant on your part ... will only ensure your woes will be added to. In the less traffic prone areas ... the officer may only issue you with a verbal warning. Your attitude can make the difference.

Regular photo stops ... and rest breaks ... will alleviate some butt issues.

Most Backpackers may have single rooms ... if Bunk rooms are not your thing. Post intended likely stopping points ... and the locals/travellers on this site may advise on reccommended places. (possibly even THEIR place)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    There is a general "Tolerance" most Highway patrol offices allow of 4 km/hr ... should you be stopped ... neither admit or deny anything. Other than you know what the posted speed limit is. A vocal rant on your part ... will only ensure your woes will be added to. In the less traffic prone areas ... the officer may only issue you with a verbal warning. Your attitude can make the difference.

Regular photo stops ... and rest breaks ... will alleviate some butt issues.

Most Backpackers may have single rooms ... if Bunk rooms are not your thing. Post intended likely stopping points ... and the locals/travellers on this site may advise on reccommended places. (possibly even THEIR place)
    Wow, 4km is tight. Guess I'll just stick to the posted limits and avoid any problems whatsoever. I'm definitely not a ranter, lots of youtube videos to show the stupidity of that. Good idea about posting likely stopping points but don't want to try and impose on people at the last moment if I'm stuck. Hopefully paying more money will result in finding more vacancies. Not loaded but I gave up sleeping in ditches years ago when a room didn't appear. Love camping and just did 3 wks to Sturgis but with many people warning me about the weather I figure why lug all that stuff along and end up in the rain. Traveling light will also give me a chance to leave the bike without worrying and see a few things not right on the highway although as I mentioned I'm no hiker so stuff better be reasonably closely. Thanks for the tips FJRider.

Name:	IMG_8343.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	525.2 KB 
ID:	315309

Thought I'd throw in a couple of pics. First is Remy and I on the main drag at Sturgis, South Dakota

Name:	IMG_8454.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	802.6 KB 
ID:	315310

Second is Remy and I at Mt Rushmore with President Lincoln's profile in the background.

Thread Information