Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seniors Parking

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Seniors Parking

On Saturday, I returned to where I'd parked in a Seniors Park at the Glenfield Shopping Centre and found an anonymous note on my motorbike. “HOPE YOU ARE A SENIOR!!! IF NOT YOU SHOULDN’T BE PARKED HERE”.

Several thoughts went through my head:

Why would you think that the rider of the bike wasn’t a senior? Yes, I’m 67 and I ride a motorbike. So what?

Who appointed you as the Parking Police?

Do you assume that as soon as they reach 64 years and 364 days that motorbike riders sell their bikes and never ride again?

There were no notes on the screens of the cars parked in Seniors Parks either side of the bike. So, you think that car drivers don’t park in the wrong spaces, only motorbike riders? Or that seniors only drive cars and don't ride motorbikes? Either way, that's discrimination!

And you were too embarrassed to sign your name! Brave little scurrying rodent!

But I have no hard feelings towards the note writer. If they’d like to contact me, I’d be only too happy to to contribute to the festivities in the unlikely event that their parents decide to get married.

Yes, seniors do ride motorbikes. We also ski, skydive, surf, scuba and do so many other challenging and dangerous things.

So, I've sent a copy of that message to Ana Samways of the Sideswipe column in the NZ Herald. Hope she prints it. There's someone out there that needs a good kick in the arse.

Oh, incidentally, I probably pay more registration fees for my motorbike than both the cars parked either side of my bike.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Imagine the indignation of the person who wrote that note! Lips pressed tightly together until they are all white, unintelligable mumbles, barely concealed tension and anger and then they will probably take a photo and send it to sideswipe! Hahahahahahaha!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    On Saturday, I returned to where I'd parked in a Seniors Park at the Glenfield Shopping Centre and found an anonymous note on my motorbike. “HOPE YOU ARE A SENIOR!!! IF NOT YOU SHOULDN’T BE PARKED HERE.
    probably left by some old fogie. Ignore it, they'll be dead soon enough.

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    When we're two up I'm tempted to use my wife's disability parking permit, just for the hell of it.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by varminter View Post
    When we're two up I'm tempted to use my wife's disability parking permit, just for the hell of it.
    Love it!!! Though where would you leave it? Bet some low life would steal it in order to get themselves convenient parking.

My wife pointed out that I'm an able bodied senior and the writer was probably someone with a disability who wanted a park near to the shopping centre entrance. But my position is that the sign doesn't read "Senior parking for those with disabilities" and I chose the spot because it was closer to the top of the escalator for me carrying my groceries to the bike (as you can't get a shopping trolley up the stepped escalators). OK, it was only a 3L bottle of milk and some vegs. Bit of a laugh, I had to let the leeks hang out the back of the saddlebags like a Welsh pennant.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Loved the story. The supermarket I shop at has parks for people with disabilities and pregnant women. I will check and see if they have seniors parks just so I can park the bike there.

When using the car I try to park in the wide open spaces in an effort to minimise the dings in the doors.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    bandit

Why would you think that the rider of the bike wasn’t a senior? Yes, I’m 67 and I ride a motorbike. So what?
    This one ... people think Bike Riders are kids ...

I love watching cops faces when they stop me ... they get a shock at the grey hair that appears from under the helmet ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    This one ... people think Bike Riders are kids ...

I love watching cops faces when they stop me ... they get a shock at the grey hair that appears from under the helmet ...
    Yeah, that's happened to me...the cop looked young enough to be my grandson....

There's a supermarket I go to regularly where the parks marked for mothers with prams are invariably occupied by asian students. No kid in sight.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Hahaha - ditto - I'm 68 next month! I've got a Shoei graphics helmet and in the summer, wear grey and black leathers. Made the mistake of saying to my wife that I must be a real chick magnet in that gear. She didn't bat an eyelid - just said "Yeah, until you take your helmet off". Trust wives to bring us back to earth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	784.3 KB 
ID:	315329  

Bike
    Kawasaki

Yes, seniors do ride motorbikes. We also ski, skydive, surf, scuba and do so many other challenging and dangerous things.

So, I've sent a copy of that message to Ana Samways of the Sideswipe column in the NZ Herald. Hope she prints it. There's someone out there that needs a good kick in the arse.

Oh, incidentally, I probably pay more registration fees for my motorbike than both the cars parked either side of my bike.
    Yes, your rant got printed today, thought I'd seen it somewhere before

The irony is, the note leaver was probably just another senior who was frustrated, and looking for a park.

Regardless of who left the note, it's probably not as easy for many other seniors to walk long distances, with or without their shopping, so if you're lucky enough to still be able-bodied enough to ride a motorbike, ski, skydive, surf, scuba, and the other challenging and dangerous things that you like and can still do, then maybe parking further away from the shops might be the courteous thing to do?

Incidentally, if you can still afford to pay rego for a motorbike and two cars, then I hope you aren't still drawing superannuation as well and further burdening the tax payers. But then again, you may just be one of those that feel entitled to taking something just because you can, and maybe not because you need it

Bike
    2019 Triumph Bobber
    Hey, if the writer didn't think you were old enough to park there, maybe you look young for your age. I'd take that as a win.

Bike
    But my position is that the sign doesn't read "Senior parking for those with disabilities"
    I just park in the bike rack because it doesn't say 'no motorbikes'.

Half sarcasm there, because I actually do that when I'm grocery shopping in the rain so I can put everything away while under cover

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post

The irony is, the note leaver was probably just another senior who was frustrated, and looking for a park.

Regardless of who left the note, it's probably not as easy for many other seniors to walk long distances, with or without their shopping, so if you're lucky enough to still be able-bodied enough to ride a motorbike, ski, skydive, surf, scuba, and the other challenging and dangerous things that you like and can still do, then maybe parking further away from the shops might be the courteous thing to do?

Incidentally, if you can still afford to pay rego for a motorbike and two cars, then I hope you aren't still drawing superannuation as well and further burdening the tax payers. But then again, you may just be one of those that feel entitled to taking something just because you can, and maybe not because you need it
    I agree with this fella. Senior means your old and have some kind of substantially impaired mobility. If your still relatively fit and able bodied you should park with ordinary peasants.
    I've worked with truckers still doing the job and hours as good as any young bloke and their in 70's.
    We have an aging population there wont be enough of those parks to go around soon.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post

I'm on your side fella.
    My Mother was disabled for the last years of her life and it used to frustrate the hell out of me trying to find a disabled park. Always some retard parked in it that wasn't short of a couple of good legs.
    As for this situation, i say if you can walk just fine then go park somewhere else. It's not rocket science as to whom the designated park is for. Certainly not able bodied people that's for sure. Seems to me that its being a little pedantic to assume the age is the actual criteria.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Assorted British
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    I'm on your side fella.
    My Mother was disabled for the last years of her life and it used to frustrate the hell out of me trying to find a disabled park. Always some retard parked in it that wasn't short of a couple of good legs.
    As for this situation, i say if you can walk just fine then go park somewhere else. It's not rocket science as to whom the designated park is for. Certainly not able bodied people that's for sure. Seems to me that its being a little pedantic to assume the age is the actual criteria.
    Guys, we are talking about a "Seniors" vehicle parking. Not a "Disabled" parking.
    There is a big difference and once you have attained Retirement age you automatically
    receive "Seniors" status. Steve is fully entitled to use a "Seniors" parking regardless
    of what his mode of transport is.
    It is not the business of an ignorant cunt who thinks he is a policeman to put
    a note of any kind on his vehicle.

Thread Information