Thread: Gears sticking

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Question Gears sticking

I ride a Honda CB250 and it blats along quite nicely. The only thing I've noticed is that after I've been for a bit of a ride (20mins for me!) when I stop to park up the gears stick, it takes me ages to get it into neutral. I can click through all the gears down for 1 and then up for neutral & then up for 2, 3,4 etc, etc but it won't go into neutral & it's really difficult to shift it back up. It only seems to happen when I've stopped to park up or it sometimes happens when I brake a little too hard

Any ideas/ suggestions/ tips?

Thanks Cathy
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily
    I ride a Honda CB250 and it blats along quite nicely. The only thing I've noticed is that after I've been for a bit of a ride (20mins for me!) when I stop to park up the gears stick, it takes me ages to get it into neutral. I can click through all the gears down for 1 and then up for neutral & then up for 2, 3,4 etc, etc but it won't go into neutral & it's really difficult to shift it back up. It only seems to happen when I've stopped to park up or it sometimes happens when I brake a little too hard

Any ideas/ suggestions/ tips?

Thanks Cathy
    Buy a Kawasaki. The "positive neutral find" feature is almost worth the cost of admission!!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Very common,some bikes do it just because,sometimes there is a reason.Adjustments first,oil change using a good oil next,replace clutch as final fix.And it still may do it.

Or you could live with it as most do - shift to neutral before you stop,becomes second nature after a while.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Buy a Kawasaki. The "positive neutral find" feature is almost worth the cost of admission!!
    I'm a poor student so I won't be getting a new bike until I finish my degree

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Very common,some bikes do it just because,sometimes there is a reason.Adjustments first,oil change using a good oil next,replace clutch as final fix.And it still may do it.

Or you could live with it as most do - shift to neutral before you stop,becomes second nature after a while.
    I think maybe an oil change & practicing going into neutral before I stop are the first 2 things I need to try. Cheers

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    using a good oil next
    What is a good quality oil?

Bike
    Borowed FZR1000 EXUP

What is Good oil?

What is a good quality oil?

I had this problem with my CBX750 (not going into neutral easily), and I changed the oil to Motul Semi Synthetic 10-40W and this fixed the problem. I use the Motul oil in in all my bikes, and the gearboxes change fine even when really hot. I know it is much more expensive than standard mineral oil, but sometimes quality is worth paying a bit more for.

You can buy Motul at Motormail, and most other motorcycle shops- It's worth a try first.

Good luck!
    If I were you...............then who would be me???
    CB125 - CB200 - CB400/4 - CB650 - XJ600 - XJ550 - GPZ900R - CBX750F2 - GSX1100F - GSX1400K2

Bike
    07 R1

sticky gears...

Hi Celtic,

If you come to a stop and you find it difficult to find neutral, try going forward ever so slightly using your clutch, stop then try hitting neutral again. Gearing may still be under tension at the moment of stopping. Don't worry, slipping into neutral while still moving or rolling is one of the many usual skills you'll pick up in no time.

ching

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW
    Try letting the clutch out just enough so that it starts to pull and then bring the clutch all the way back in, and then try for neutral again,

Also,

Try rocking the bike back and forwards and then re-try selecting neutral.

I've had the same problem on many bikes and the above usually gets you outta gear.

Good luck and let us know if this works for you....
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    My Honda 400 has a similar tendency but I've just learned to live with it. If you come to a stop and you're still in 6th gear it will be quite difficult to get into neutral, so the answer is: change down through the gears before you stop. This is a good idea anyway particularly if you are approaching a traffic light as you need to be in the appropriate gear to accelerate away when the light changes. I can remember some embarrassing moments when a light turned green, cars behind me tooting, and me desperately trying to change down and the gearbox not cooperating.
    Oil changes can help but probably won't eliminate the problem completely.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    My FZR is pretty lousy for this as well. I've learnt through bitter experiece to go through the gears when slowing for lights. Of course, I still don't know EXACTLY what gear I'm in from the revs so I'm still finding myself talking the gears through in my head (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd - push the lever down just a bit - and 'click' it goes into neutral easily).

I just did an oil change a couple of weeks ago - put in Advance SX on the recommendation of Maidstone Yamaha here in Upper Hutt. The bike is much better through the gears both up and down now (no false neutrals) but I'm not too sure if its helped the neutral thing from a stop.

Good luck !
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    How's the clutch adjustment? Maybe you need to tighten it up a bit so the clutch isn't dragging too much when you are trying to find neutral. Otherwise its much as the others have said, oil should be clean and filled to the right level. Only other thing can be if your clutch basket is getting worn the clutch can stick a bit because the plates get stuck in grooves.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Thanks all for your advice & input. I've booked my bike in for a oil change & I'm gonna get them to look at the gears for me too.

Thread Information