Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb/injection compared?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    As a total side note I find it disturbing how many new bike reviews comment on poor fueling (injected bikes) with a typical factory download later on to cure this. Non Japanese as a rule - Triumph and the assorted Italian beasts. Rushed to the dealers to meet a marketing deadline? Or do their test rider just fang the shit out of them everywhere and don;t give a shit about lower rev stumbles.
    They just haven't worked out the software for the emissions testing.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    They just haven't worked out the software for the emissions testing.
    Probably true - run it out lean to pass then have the dealer download a new map at first service ........ or write a cheat

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Probably true - run it out lean to pass then have the dealer download a new map at first service ........ or write a cheat
    Sadly true. Look at the gsx-s1000. Should be perfecto, it's a K5 GSXR motor after all, but no, all testers complain about fueling off idle....emissions! Suzuki should hire some VW technicians when Yamaha has finished with them redoing the FZ09!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Sadly true. Look at the gsx-s1000. Should be perfecto, it's a K5 GSXR motor after all, but no, all testers complain about fueling off idle....emissions! Suzuki should hire some VW technicians when Yamaha has finished with them redoing the FZ09!
    Just read the same re the Suzuki today. Disappointing as the original donk it is based on was a sweet engine. Different standard to meet 10 years later no doubt.

Bike
    Bikes!
    High valve overlap engines have always been shit balls to get past emissions testing. That's why they sell them with a substandard one, and leave the power commander/reflash up to you... they can get nicked for selling polluting shite (see VW recently), and you can't. The K5 came out during what, the Euro 3 period? Things are quite a bit harsher now.

Bike
    Sold
    I had an injected Blackbird - the 99 model which was the first year after carbs. It was generally acknowledged that a properly set up carbed version was 5-7 km/hr faster than mine but setting up carbs spot on and keeping them there took a bit of work. After that, it all got a bit muddy with emission controls and other mods so comparisons weren't valid.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I had an injected Blackbird - the 99 model which was the first year after carbs. It was generally acknowledged that a properly set up carbed version was 5-7 km/hr faster than mine but setting up carbs spot on and keeping them there took a bit of work. After that, it all got a bit muddy with emission controls and other mods so comparisons weren't valid.
    From my understanding there are a fair few Carby SV650s being raced which do the business fine against the EFI models. Someone may put me wrong there as I haven't been to a nationals round in a few years due to work, family, travel etc.

All I know is that I've recently started working on the carbs for my NC30, seems a less exact science compared to my only comparable FI experience, which was assisting with dyno tuning a few cars on a Link ECU's. Seems like getting a bike running properly on carbs takes a lot of fiddling and above all experience, something I really don't have patience for . Doesn't help when there is 4 of the fucking things!
    Down the line I hope to race an EFI bike of some description so I am looking forward to seeing how the turning works on a fuel injected bike as opposed to car. I imagine it is the same, add air, add fuel, add advance relative to throttle input = Power.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    I had a Kawasaki Fury 125, '08 and a Yamaha VegaForce I 115, '13. Not identical, but close in specification and the Fury had done about 25,000 km. I bought the Yamaha brand new. The Fury returned 49.67 mpg, 17.58 km/l, and the Vega Force I returned 110.18 mpg, 39 km/l.

Not a very scientific report, but I would say the figures show a clear advantage to the FI.

Both sold now pending return to NZ, (and hopefully a real bike again...)
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Thread Information