Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Hornet Bandit thread

Bike
    05 Bandit 1200, 08 YZF250, 07 RMZ450

Another Hornet Bandit thread

So I managed to sell my Hyo today. Leaving me with a half built vfr400 project in the garage and nothing to ride. What a day for riding it was too!

I've been going round in circles trying to decide what to get next and after all the deliberating, I've landed (at least for now) back between the Hornet 919 or a Bandit 1200. Whatever one comes up first at the right price, year, mileage, etc.

Having not ridden either before, I am wondering if anyone out there can advise me on any common faults, weaknesses to look out for when inspecting one and also if you think I should trust my gut (or Butt when riding one) or if I should pay for at least a compression check before committing to one?

Also, if anyone in Auckland maybe feels charitable enough to give me a go on their Hornet or bandit to give me some reference point.......

Unfortunately I can't go blag any test rides yet from a bike shop as my full licence cbta doesn't kick in until December :-(

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I chose the Hornet. Never regretted it. Can't go wrong with either though.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Had a Hornet. Was ok. Got a 1200 Bandit, much better. Handles better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    I've ridden both but owned neither. For a bike for city commuting, including lanesplitting and especially parking in dodgy places, I'd go with the Hornet. It really is impressively small and easy to handle for a 100 hp bike with no big downside.

For recreational riding or an easy commute I'd rather have the Bandit. It's not much better at it, but it is better.

Bike
    Thanks guys. Yeah I'm likely to go with the first good deal I find on either at this stage tbh. Couple cheap Bandits on TM right now down the line, but too far for me to take a punt on.

I only got about 4k to spend right now as I have other frivolous 2 wheeled things pulling at my pockets too.

No commuting here so will just be a bit of fun weekend / sunny day bike. But my wrist is too buggered to lean forward for long and ride a sports bike.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    My Bandit was 2k. Just got to wait for the right bike.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    My Bandit was 2k. Just got to wait for the right bike.
    2k!? for a 1200cc?

Wow I guess I better wait a bit then if thats the case.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mynemesis View Post
    2k!? for a 1200cc?

Wow I guess I better wait a bit then if thats the case.
    Yup. 1200. Gen 2. Put a hayabusa shock in the back and it goes great. Sold my Hornet for 3k.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    All relative to the bike and seller.

Year, condition and kms on it.

Bike
    Sweet! so you recommend upgrading the rear shocks generally or was that done due to the factory unit being stuffed?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Sweet! so you recommend upgrading the rear shocks generally or was that done due to the factory unit being stuffed?
    Stock shock when 2 up is not up to it. Got a Busa shock for $60.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Done about 106k on a CB919 in the last 8.5 years. I consider them as very under-rated bikes and don't seem to be popular now (which makes them a bargain). Reliability wise I think they have to be one of the very best. Top CB919 I know of, ex courier has done 250k+ (with some work on gears now). A mates has done about 160k, mine is at 132k, another mate has one with 90k ish. No major problems with any of them.

Stock suspension is crap, straight out of the bargain bin - I've got an Ohlins rear shock and Racetech internals in the front. Stock handlebars are a horrible angle - I've got wide MX bars, which while they make splitting harder, give much better leverage over the bike. Givi luggage racks as well, always have a top box for gear.

Detuned Fireblade motor is almost bulletproof. Enough power to do about 200kph, but enough grunt to take off from lights in 2nd, pulls in pretty much any gear, and you can even get it into 6th without using the throttle...

As for issues, sometimes the OEM rear wheel bearings don't last too long. I think I recall front or rear wheel bearings are an odd size as well (shop sorts it, not me). First clutch cable lasted 60k, second got 70k... but mine is probably one of the hardest working hornets.

Love it for commuting, but not really for the country. Got my BMW for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Thanks Gremlin. It does seem like most people that have both rate the bandit just a touch higher than the 919 in the fun / grinning stakes. Must be that old 1100 engine revving away I guess!?

If I knew more about what they're meant to be like, I'd be tempted to shoot down the line to one of the cheap ones on TM.

Both seem strong and fairly good at all things. So just waiting now for the summer rush of bike sales to start online.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gremlin. It does seem like most people that have both rate the bandit just a touch higher than the 919 in the fun / grinning stakes. Must be that old 1100 engine revving away I guess!?
    CB919 is typical Honda. Brilliant at nothing, good at everything, which you come to appreciate as being brilliant in itself.

However, if you're looking for fun... then it's probably more likely to suck your soul. For commuting, it's fantastic! Wanna have fun? It can do it. Sick/feeling like crap and want to trundle home? It can do that too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Honda is physically more attractive than the Bandit and finish is superior as well IMO. Typical budget Suzuki stuff. Suzuki engine is also a well proven workhorse. Watch out of some 2004's - there was a oil burning batch due to the oil ring holes in the pistons being too large.

GS1200ss is worth a look - owned one and it was a blast. Cheap as chips now. run the 1200 engine.

Thread Information