Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Wellington with CBR250RR?

Bike
    None yet

Anyone in Wellington with CBR250RR?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking to get a 1990-92 CBR250RR as a weekend toy, seen videos of it and heard good things. Although I haven't ridden one before . Wondering if anyone in Wellington knows who might have one and willing to allow me to have a short ( and responsible) test ride ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by bennz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking to get a 1990-92 CBR250RR as a weekend toy, seen videos of it and heard good things. Although I haven't ridden one before . Wondering if anyone in Wellington knows who might have one and willing to allow me to have a short ( and responsible) test ride ?

Cheers
    I can't help with the test ride, but can confirm they are a fucking hoot to ride .

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    I can't help with the test ride, but can confirm they are a fucking hoot to ride .
    x2.

Bike
    None yet
    I have seen them around but I am a tall guy so wanted to actually ride one to see if it's right fit or not .

Bike
    How tall is tall?

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    I've got one in Auckland. I'm 6ft1, can confirm they are a small but manageable bike. I've moved the clipons to under the top triple which has made it more manageable, but mind your fingers. And yes, an absolute hoot to ride

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    I've got one in Auckland. I'm 6ft1, can confirm they are a small but manageable bike. I've moved the clipons to under the top triple which has made it more manageable, but mind your fingers. And yes, an absolute hoot to ride
    If you've got an MC17 it will be different to what he's looking at. 90-92 will be an MC22. Not hugely different, but different enough.

Bike
    None yet
    How's the overall experience with the bike? Many issues or failure due to the age ? How's the pressure on the wrists?

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Pressure got me a bit when I first started riding, but that's also core strength building that reduces it. Bike has been reliable, I've had no issues apart from the maintenance as expected.

Being mechanically minded helps, I've stripped and rebuilt the carbs and troubleshooted a couple of electrical bugs, last weekend I pulled apart the foot break switch and cleaned the contacts, works even better now :-)

Its IMHO i find it easy maintenance, and if you maintain it well it'll treat you well. Only issue with these bikes is they are traditional learner bikes, so have had a very hard life, you can't expect superbike performance, but they go well enough and that 4cyl scream never fails to give me a massive grin. Sounds like a f1 car, sits at about 8000rpm at 100kmh

Bike
    None yet
    Pressure got me a bit when I first started riding, but that's also core strength building that reduces it. Bike has been reliable, I've had no issues apart from the maintenance as expected.

Being mechanically minded helps, I've stripped and rebuilt the carbs and troubleshooted a couple of electrical bugs, last weekend I pulled apart the foot break switch and cleaned the contacts, works even better now :-)

Its IMHO i find it easy maintenance, and if you maintain it well it'll treat you well. Only issue with these bikes is they are traditional learner bikes, so have had a very hard life, you can't expect superbike performance, but they go well enough and that 4cyl scream never fails to give me a massive grin. Sounds like a f1 car, sits at about 8000rpm at 100kmh
    Thanks a lot for your feedback.
    What are the major service items on this bike and in what intervals. I am relatively mechanically minded but have to learn more about this bike if I decide to get one. What year is yours and how many Ks has it done ?

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    There are service manuals kicking around for these online, think they are about 170mb and its a full strip down manual, colour photos and all. Basically, oil every 6k, oil and filter every 12, normal service items for a bike, chain tension etc etc.

Mines done probably 70,000kms

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Good luck adjusting the cam chain tension

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Cam chain tension... Yeaahh... No... Its a geared valvetrain

Bike
    None yet

Anyone in Wellington with CBR250RR?

How often the carb needs cleaning or tuning on this bike ?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by bennz View Post
    How often the carb needs cleaning or tuning on this bike ?

Once every month, or around every 1500kms whichever comes first.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Thread Information