Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Mt. Maunganui Bandit inspection

Bike
    05 Bandit 1200, 08 YZF250, 07 RMZ450

I'm looking for Mt. Maunganui Bandit inspection

If I was to buy a Bandit from Mt. Maunganui. Where would be a good place to have it pre purchasae inspected? and how much is one of those anyway?

Or being a bandit with less than 50k on the clock, do you think the basic buyer check on arrival would be enough? Just do the usual check for engine rattles, clutch check, headstock bearings, fork seals, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, smoke, etc.

Thanks for help, advise.....or incoming smart arse remarks.

(I think I'm starting to get used to this place)

Bike
    bandit
    Ask some nice person (there are a few here) in Tauranga/The Mount if they will go check it out for you ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    a red heap
    Is it on tard me?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Ask some nice person (there are a few here) in Tauranga/The Mount if they will go check it out for you ...
    Thanks for the advise Bandit. Just short of someone "nice" and experienced mechanically. My thoughts also were that a pre purchase would include a compression test. Or is that not likely to be necessary?

Yes on Trademe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=963523892

Would likely replace rear shock and front springs, so suspension isn't a biggie. Thinking I might take a punt on this if the other one I'm looking at doesn't eventuate.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Starting price of $4K what would you be looking to pay to call it yours?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Starting price of $4K what would you be looking to pay to call it yours?
    final price $4k. He will end now if I commit I want it. But I just gonna give the other one I'm looking at a day to come back to me before I commit. The other one is minta and only has 3,000km. so I'm willing to risk forgoing a proper inspection on that one if I can get it for the price I want.

I think the low km one is waiting a while for a better offer unfortunately so I risk losing both if I don't act soon.

this one though seem like a good cheap example (at least by trademe standards that is) and leaves me some change to buy toys like exhaust, springs, lines, etc. the other is a rare example of a super low k well cared for stock K5. I'll have no money left if I buy it, but being almost new, I would be willing to grow that one slowly, so to speak.
    Last edited by mynemesis; 13th October 2015 at 13:44. Reason: more info with double posting

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by mynemesis View Post
    thanks for that, I've been looking for a good bandit.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    thanks for that, I've been looking for a good bandit.
    enjoy! Hope you make the most of it. Glad I could help you get past the listings search feature on trademe

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by mynemesis View Post
    Thanks for the advise Bandit. Just short of someone "nice" and experienced mechanically. My thoughts also were that a pre purchase would include a compression test. Or is that not likely to be necessary?

Yes on Trademe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=963523892

Would likely replace rear shock and front springs, so suspension isn't a biggie. Thinking I might take a punt on this if the other one I'm looking at doesn't eventuate.
    A compression test is a bit of a hassle - you'd have to take the tank off so you could pull each plug and test each pot ..not sure it is necessary - I haven't run a compression test on a bike I've biought since I stopped owning british ...

The front suspension is not as necessary to change as the rear - I have a 1250 and would change the rear shock but I've just tightened up the front a click or two and that is fine ..

I put braided lines on both my Bandits - that improved the braking - as did putting wave discs on my 650 ... if you put on braided lines make sure you have two lines coming off the master cylinder. Suzuki usually drop one line to the right hand slave and then a loop over the guard to the left hand slave. On my 1250 you could feel the difference on the disc where the disc met the mounts - there was more brake pressure on trhe right hand disc before I put on the braided lines ... tho' it looks like on the grey bandit the lines split at the bottom of the triple tree .. a better set up ...

The pipe on that bandit does not look standard (I don't remember the standard ones coming with the wrap-around clamp - they usually have lugs on the can that bolt to the rear footpeg holders.)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Thanks bandit. I'll no doubt be going over all this again soon. Just need to actually get one now. Getting very impatient at this point.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Best to be patient. Impatient can cost money.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Best to be patient. Impatient can cost money.
    Yeah I know you're right..... just itching to get back out there is all. That and having cash burning a hole in my pocket too.

Bike
    bandit
    Yeah - I know the feeling - luckily I've always had more than one running bike - so waiting for a new one has never left me rideless ..

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    A compression test is a bit of a hassle - you'd have to take the tank off so you could pull each plug and test each pot ..not sure it is necessary - I haven't run a compression test on a bike I've biought since I stopped owning british ...

The front suspension is not as necessary to change as the rear - I have a 1250 and would change the rear shock but I've just tightened up the front a click or two and that is fine ..

I put braided lines on both my Bandits - that improved the braking - as did putting wave discs on my 650 ... if you put on braided lines make sure you have two lines coming off the master cylinder. Suzuki usually drop one line to the right hand slave and then a loop over the guard to the left hand slave. On my 1250 you could feel the difference on the disc where the disc met the mounts - there was more brake pressure on trhe right hand disc before I put on the braided lines ... tho' it looks like on the grey bandit the lines split at the bottom of the triple tree .. a better set up ...

The pipe on that bandit does not look standard (I don't remember the standard ones coming with the wrap-around clamp - they usually have lugs on the can that bolt to the rear footpeg holders.)
    Stock fork on them is not well set up. Few shims moved about and some springs will be a revelation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    It's not far from Aucky - you have transport? Go have a perve yourself.

Thread Information