Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best radar detector for bikes?

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    I've got a 8500 X50 permanently mounted to the bike. Works good.

One on one against a laser or a cop really using his KA and trigger switch in his lap your screwed.
    Mostly they leave it on and just try lock you when they get a warning I think?
    But this doesnt happen a lot, mostly you get enough warning from him checking the traffic ahead of you or from behind you. Mine is years old but modern enough to have the rear detection sensor. Be WARNED all cops have rear mounted radar detection now so they'll get you going away from them after they have gone by. I'm really surprised it hasnt clapped out by now because its done me years of good service on the VTR, SV thou and now the Bonnie and they are all big vibration bikes.

I went to Dick Smith and bought 3 plugs and a small speaker for in my helmet for about $20 bucks then used an old cell phone car charger cord and wired up an Audio warning. So no Batteries or leds. I read somewhere your reaction to audio is faster than seeing, then doing, I also wonder if your looking through your corner up the road and your led is on the opposite side of your visor, if you'd miss the LED warning without the audio. So have stuck with the audio warning.

Works really good and I don't notice the curly chord at all. I'm used to unplugging the cable after the last few years with this set up, so only walked away from the bike still plugged in couple of times early on.
    The only draw back is about once every couple years you have to rewire the plug at the helmet.
    I put a small chain and padlock round it so I can leave it parked outside a cafe or the supermarket and not have to worry about some turkey pinching it.

Couple pics attached so you know how its set up if you wanna go the cheaper route and hard wire.
    Hope this helps??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonnie.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	317135

Name:	Bonnie poic.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	317136

Name:	Bonnie wire.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	317137
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post

I went to Dick Smith and bought 3 plugs and a small speaker for in my helmet for about $20 bucks then used an old cell phone car charger cord and wired up an Audio warning. So no Batteries or leds. I read somewhere your reaction to audio is faster than seeing, then doing, I also wonder if your looking through your corner up the road and your led is on the opposite side of your visor, if you'd miss the LED warning without the audio. So have stuck with the audio warning.

Works really good and I don't notice the curly chord at all. I'm used to unplugging the cable after the last few years with this set up, so only walked away from the bike still plugged in couple of times early on.
    The only draw back is about once every couple years you have to rewire the plug at the helmet.
    I put a small chain and padlock round it .........
    That curly cord might work but it would annoy the shit out of me. Wireless led in my helmet has never let me down

chain and padlock......really?
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 8th November 2015 at 06:51.

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I run an STI. You'll get a few readings on Ka band that will leave you scratching your head. It will be a cop kilometers away, which takes ages to finally appear around a corner! I've also detected their radar whilst being at 90 degrees to them (picking up the beam and NOT the radar unit in the plod-car).

K band is what the photo-taxation vans are on, but the signal is very weak. You may find a single "beep" announcing the presence of one of those. The Bel Redline doesn't have this issue though...!
    The thing I like about these detectors is they are upgradable The one I just bought has just had the latest software/firmware upgrade. You can upgrade your STI to a Magnum for bugger all and apparently the older STI's have a coil wound LNA which is more sensitive than the later models. I have K band turned on and get a few alerts but not on quiet streets. It's a great unit.
    I like Harleys, It's just that they get in the way sometimes

Bike
    RG 500,GSXR1100,NC30 VFR400x2 ,Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post

One on one against a laser or a cop really using his KA and trigger switch in his lap your screwed.
    Mostly they leave it on and just try lock you when they get a warning I think?
    But this doesnt happen a lot, mostly you get enough warning from him checking the traffic ahead of you or from behind you. Mine is years old but modern enough to have the rear detection sensor. Be WARNED all cops have rear mounted radar detection now so they'll get you going away from them after they have gone by. I'm really surprised it hasnt clapped out by now because its done me years of good service on the VTR, SV thou and now the Bonnie and they are all big vibration bikes.

The only draw back is about once every co uple years you have to rewire the plug at the helmet.
    I put a small chain and padlock round it so I can leave it parked outside a cafe or the supermarket and not have to worry about some turkey pinching it.

Couple pics attached so you know how its set up if you wanna go the cheaper route and hard wire.
    Hope this helps??

Name:	Bonnie.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	317135

Name:	Bonnie poic.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	317136

Name:	Bonnie wire.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	317137

I also have speaker in helmet and run cable down my jacket to the plug by my seat, takes a little while to remember you are plugged in when getting off!

Not all cop cars have a rear facing antenna fitted, and quite a few dont have speed detection units at all.

My old man got a ticket on the weekend and no detector would have saved him because cop was hiding in bush, he got one quick pop on the detector and that was it, locked in.

They are awesome when cop leaves the unit on and you can pick them up, but in low traffic they will turn off and pop it on when they see you.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by NAR RG500 View Post
    My old man got a ticket on the weekend and no detector would have saved him because cop was hiding in bush, he got one quick pop on the detector and that was it, locked in.

They are awesome when cop leaves the unit on and you can pick them up, but in low traffic they will turn off and pop it on when they see you.
    Bear this in mind:
    If you are the only vehicle on the road, so the cop doesn't give away his presence by checking anyone else's speed - what is the cop doing wasting his time on a road with no traffic?
    In other words: Your old man got really unlucky!

In general it is the busier roads that the cops will find more targets on, so that is where you usually see the cops.

I don't have a detector, but if I did then I'd want a really good one that could pick up the cop a long way away when he gives a quick pop and locks in your old man's speed, then I can ride on by at 100kph looking innocent.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Bear this in mind:
    If you are the only vehicle on the road, so the cop doesn't give away his presence by checking anyone else's speed - what is the cop doing wasting his time on a road with no traffic?
    In other words: Your old man got really unlucky!

In general it is the busier roads that the cops will find more targets on, so that is where you usually see the cops.

I don't have a detector, but if I did then I'd want a really good one that could pick up the cop a long way away when he gives a quick pop and locks in your old man's speed, then I can ride on by at 100kph looking innocent.
    Cop was hiding facing same way as rider direction and turned on when old man gone past at 130, nothing you can do, take it on the chin and hope next time it will help you more.

My point was that although I won't leave home without my detector sometimes it's usless to some of thier methods
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 17th November 2015 at 23:48.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Personally I don't see the point in radar detectors for finding cops, I mean if you ride above the speed limit often enough they'll find you......why bother with a detector
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    My experience from when I wore a blue suit.

There are a lot of things that people do in vehicles that cops don't write tickets for. Some they should, but that's a different debate.

But people with detectors rarely are given that discretion. If by chance I was thinking of an advisory chat with someone who had broken one of those little rules, the presence of an LED in the helmet was often enough to change that into an invoice.

It's just part of the game played by those who choose to play it.

It's nice not having to give a toss any more.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Well I used to pay some road tax about every 12 months. I use to fax the bill to Fitzy and ask if he could help, he used to call me a scrote, ok happy days. I have had a snake detector since 07 since then I have not had a ticket, nadda not one. I have been pulled up twice both times they did not get a lock on before my speed dropped below 110. Yea a lazer works faster but they have to get set up and the snakes find getting to the donut shop is difficult, actually getting their fat asses out of their drivers seats is difficult. The other thing is the detector starts to chirp and I slow down and try to work out where they have set up to take another well deserved donut stop.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Well I used to pay some road tax about every 12 months. I use to fax the bill to Fitzy and ask if he could help, he used to call me a scrote, ok happy days. I have had a snake detector since 07 since then I have not had a ticket, nadda not one. I have been pulled up twice both times they did not get a lock on before my speed dropped below 110. Yea a lazer works faster but they have to get set up and the snakes find getting to the donut shop is difficult, actually getting their fat asses out of their drivers seats is difficult. The other thing is the detector starts to chirp and I slow down and try to work out where they have set up to take another well deserved donut stop.
    +1

Finally some sense!

Cheers

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Personally I don't see the point in radar detectors for finding cops, I mean if you ride above the speed limit often enough they'll find you......why bother with a detector
    I find it as more of a failsafe.
    To be honest, I don't speed enough to justify having a V1 in my car. The initial reasoning for purchase was because my old track toy was constantly picked on by police because it looked like a "boy racer car" despite being fully certified for its mods, having a clean record, and being a very tidy and well kept vehicle both mechanically and cosmetically speaking.

Yea, the attitude I got from police before vs after the radar was pretty negative, but it was one less thing I had to worry about for each time I was pulled.
    The V1 in a way made taking the Zed out a much more enjoyable experience, because the paranoia of running into a Police officer was no longer present. idk.

If i do get pulled over for speeding, of course I'll happily accept it. I know the rules and I chose not to follow them. I just like that there is something there that spews a fit when there is such a risk

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Well, We'll all see what happens now that the speed tolerance has dropped to 4 km for the next two months. Good luck everyone. I'm still glad I got my detector.
    I like Harleys, It's just that they get in the way sometimes

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    Well, We'll all see what happens now that the speed tolerance has dropped to 4 km for the next two months.:
    dont have a detector , ,Rode past a park up popo ( between the cheese cutters)on the Waikato xpress way last night , i was doin 140 when I passed him but eased off to 110 after passed him, he spun round and over took me and kept goin,

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Had one of the very few actual saves from the TPX this morning. Pootling along an "80 temporary" zone at about 93 (inadvertently of course!) when the unit spoke up as approaching a corner. Dropped off 10k as the copper came around the corner. All good, went on past no worries.
    I've run a detector for several years now and have had very few actual saves from the unit. But those that do happen are very welcome.

Incidentally, for how long can a "temporary" speed limit be in place? Seems to me that quite a few of these "temporary" limits are pretty permanent. In which case why mark it as temporary? I suspect it might be to do with fulfilling the requirements of local legislation but I don't really know. Any ideas about these?
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Not that I need a radar detector

I really want to KNOW what the speed limit is so I don't need one

sometimes it's 70 then 80 just around the corner then back to 70, not so bad in areas I frequent.

looking for a app or similar that uses open source maps to act as a reminder what the limit is. Maybe I should more attention but there are some areas the speed signs are hidden behind trees, lamp posts, traffic signals, trucks.

If I want to go faster then it's up to me.

Yes temporary is just another way of making the long term speed limit lower without causing too much fuss.... Wait a year then fix it to this temp limit - no one will complain
    Speed lowering by stealth. The reason will then be 'see we lowered the road toll here-by lowering the speed'

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information