Thread: Looking at either upgrading my 05 Kdx220 or selling to upgrade to a 250 2t Mx'er?

Bike
    1998 RMX250

Blah Looking at either upgrading my 05 Kdx220 or selling to upgrade to a 250 2t Mx'er?

Alright background on myself: Im 21 years old, 70kgs and pretty fit. Been riding for around 7 years and currently own a 2005 Kdx200 that is bored out to a 220. I have put in boyssen reeds, pro circuit pipe, and has 10hours on piston and rings.

I ride mainly trail rides and love the tight single track. My last bike was a 2001 EXC200 but sold up to move out of home. I miss her
    Advantages of the Kdx: Easy to ride motor with bucket loads of bottom end Tidy and reliable Easy to get parts Disadvantages: Crap suspension Feels like a farm bike (not the ergonomics I prefer) Is a tad underpowered No radiator shields Cable clutch

Advantages to a 250 2t Mxer : Has the better suspension Ergonomic Would have more pep (with an 11ounch ffw would be more usable down low?) Hydrolic clutch
    Disadvantages: Might be more of a power hit than I am expecting Will need FFW Have to sell the Kdx Will have to set the suspension to my weight and for trails
    So I'm between a rock and a hard place. I like the kdx but for the price of upgrading I could sell and put the funds into a bigger bike with the upgrades I want. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    My KDX improved a lot with correct jetting and KX USD forks. I re-sprung it to suit my weight.

Twice the bike for it.

But Im an old trail rider. Top end is not what Im after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Tough place to be, performance trail bikes are hard to get right. KTM 300? Or yamaha WR250 perhaps?

Bike
    wr450f
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Tough place to be, performance trail bikes are hard to get right. KTM 300? Or yamaha WR250 perhaps?
    Don't mention 4 strokes around him LOL. Even though he's never tried a "proper" mx 250 or a 450 4t..

You might just like it boff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    1998 RMX250
    Quote Originally Posted by Askor View Post
    Don't mention 4 strokes around him LOL.
    That banter.
    But yeah.. Ive just taken sweet photos of the Kdx to put her on Tm. Found a yz I want

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    If you intend to go single trail get a 200/250 Enduro ie KTM, Husky, GasGas, Sherco , Beta, TM , Husaberg all very good bikes .
    Just work out your budget and choice.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    long term i dont think its worth putting money into the KDX, the fork mod above makes a big difference, but you have already got most hte power that you are going to get out of it,

if you want more grunt but still be friendly , then a Euro Enduro bike is the way to do, a KX/RM/CR/YZ or KTMSX MX 250 has way more grunt, but it does not sound like you really want the extra grunt of one of them.

the KDX is a great learner bike, but its always going to have the downfalls of it, but most other stuff will wear parts out faster, but thats the price of going faster,

Bike
    wr450f
    He ended up buying a 1997 RMX250 off me that I'd just finished rebuilding the motor of. Literally the day after I finished it, I didn't even get to take it for a proper ride!
    Not that I'm complaining
    And neither should he, he got it for mates rates. That leaves plenty of money for him to tweak it
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    long term i dont think its worth putting money into the KDX, the fork mod above makes a big difference, but you have already got most hte power that you are going to get out of it,

if you want more grunt but still be friendly , then a Euro Enduro bike is the way to do, a KX/RM/CR/YZ or KTMSX MX 250 has way more grunt, but it does not sound like you really want the extra grunt of one of them.

the KDX is a great learner bike, but its always going to have the downfalls of it, but most other stuff will wear parts out faster, but thats the price of going faster,
    Yeah they are slow old girls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DPNanQIlic
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information