Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full licence without having to wait 12 months

Bike
    2014 ktm duke 390

Full licence without having to wait 12 months

While in South Africa I owned a 1200gs while on a learners licence, there were no restrictions on cc.
    I got my NZ learners licence 2 years ago but only went for the restricted licence in July this year. Do you think there is any way I can convince the authorities to allow me to do the full licence now, without having to wait until July next year?

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Yeah bro, should be easy as. Tell them to chuck in a gun license as well.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    what he said, no problem at all, they will likely apologise for making you make the phone call.

Good first post, you will do well around here.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200GSA
    should have said, you can actually "do" your licence now, in that you can complete the CBTA full licence assessment any time. Still wait 12 months from the date of obtaining your restricted test.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    license, eh....

Bike
    Yeah.

Fly to Raro, get your pretty much token license there, fly back, transfer license/apply for full, do test, pass, ?, profit.

Or something like that. You used to be able to transfer it straight over but now you have to pass the test for your full, which is great IMO.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Yeah.

Fly to Raro, get your pretty much token license there, fly back, transfer license/apply for full, do test, pass, ?, profit.

Or something like that. You used to be able to transfer it straight over but now you have to pass the test for your full, which is great IMO.
    its even easier now - fly to raro, get raro bike licence, use in NZ as an international licence for up to 12 months, have another holiday, get new raro licence, repeat.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    license, eh....
    Yeah you only need those if you have a Motorcycle to ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    its even easier now - fly to raro, get raro bike licence, use in NZ as an international licence for up to 12 months, have another holiday, get new raro licence, repeat.
    Hasn't worked that way for over 10 years. Raro doesn't recognise IDL's, and the Raro licence isn't recognised at an IDL here.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    license, eh....
    Yeah it's some sort of system where someone works out if you're a fuckwit or not. Which is pretty good because most fuckwits don't know that they're fuckwits.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Yeah it's some sort of system where someone works out if you're a fuckwit or not. Which is pretty good because most fuckwits don't know that they're fuckwits.
    that completely explains all the behaviour i see on the road... Thanks for clearing that up.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yeah you only need those if you have a Motorcycle to ride.
    need, eh...

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Hasn't worked that way for over 10 years. Raro doesn't recognise IDL's, and the Raro licence isn't recognised at an IDL here.
    No you are confused, you cannot go to raro and get a motorcycle licence then fly home and convert it to your new Zealand licence (like you used to be able to do).

You can go and get your $20 Raro licence, then use this back here for up to 12 months (we met a chap who does this every year).

If you have a motorcycle licence you can use that in raro (ie, you do not have to do the raro test).

Bike
    motocompo
    No you are confused, you cannot go to raro and get a motorcycle licence then fly home and convert it to your new Zealand licence (like you used to be able to do).

You can go and get your $20 Raro licence, then use this back here for up to 12 months (we met a chap who does this every year).

If you have a motorcycle licence you can use that in raro (ie, you do not have to do the raro test).
    Me old chum Roundy, lovely chap & repeat Raro offender, pisshead & all round top bloke.
    Nodrog is correct.
    The Raro test is the equivalent of your mum watching you ride up & down the driveway once.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

I'm sure the person you met thinks he's very clever, unfortunately he's wrong. The legislation doesn't say that an overseas licence is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. It says that for the first 12 months you're resident in NZ you may use an overseas drivers licence.

The whole "using a raro licence in NZ" think was done away with a long time ago.

Thread Information