Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Full licence without having to wait 12 months

Bike
    2014 ktm duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by Topes View Post
    Not anymore unfortunately. Got this from pro rider when I booked my CBTA-F and i got my Restricted in August.

We have been told that the CBTA certificates are now only valid for 180 days from date of issue so riders must be eligible to apply for a licence chance within that 180 daya

Can you ride a 1000cc bike on a CBTA- F certificate only (without a full licence) ?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by pigman View Post
    Can you ride a 1000cc bike on a CBTA- F certificate only (without a full licence) ?
    No.

10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Not anymore unfortunately. Got this from pro rider when I booked my CBTA-F and i got my Restricted in August.

We have been told that the CBTA certificates are now only valid for 180 days from date of issue so riders must be eligible to apply for a licence chance within that 180 daya
    My certificate was "out of date" when I did my changeover, the AA just rang NZTA to confirm the cert number. That was a while ago so Things may have changed but I would check with NZTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS

Just did mine the other day handed it into VTNZ with no issues. And I need to wait till September '16. Bless her heart she tried her hardest to issue me a 6F but computer said no lol. But she took my money and lodged it in the ssystem....

Bike
    2009, Hyosung GT250R
    Thanks for that where did you submit yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Thanks for that where did you submit yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pukekohe...

Bike
    2014 ktm duke 390
    I have been told by a CBTA instructor that I can apply for an "exemption" The Driving Standards Advisor can grant the exemption from the 12 month waiting period.
    He also said it will take time and usually is not worth it.

Has anyone here tried this?

Bike
    a red heap
    I have been told by a CBTA instructor that I can apply for an "exemption" The Driving Standards Advisor can grant the exemption from the 12 month waiting period.

yeah, it usually takes 11 months to process.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    What exactly would be your grounds for seeking an exemption? "I had my learners back home"?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

DO IT ... What have you got to lose .. ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    DO IT ... What have you got to lose .. ??
    Just submitted my application for an exemption. According to the DL4 form I should hear back in 10 working days. Not holding my breathe, but worth a punt for the $25 fee.

Bike
    2014 ktm duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by iwilson View Post
    Just submitted my application for an exemption. According to the DL4 form I should hear back in 10 working days. Not holding my breathe, but worth a punt for the $25 fee.
    Have you heard anything back yet?

Bike
    CB1300
    There is a standard 12 month wait for all responses. :ROFL:

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2012, Triumph Daytona 675SE

You CAN do it

I sent in an application for exemption (or was it variation?) of licencing conditions back when i first got my learners to ask them to scratch the 70kmh limit.
    The reasons i gave were that it was safer for me to ride at the same speed as the other traffic on the way to work on a busy highway regularly used by trucks and buses.
    Im in Queenstown and i used tour buses going to Milford etc. and the seemingly endless roadworks vehicles in this area as examples.
    I also said i have lots of unlicenced dirtbike experience from back in the UK.
    I got a quick reply saying, yes you can now go 100kmh and a PS... do your restricted whenever you want!
    I hadn't even asked to cut down the waiting time for my restricted.
    As it turned out, i didnt do my restricted cos id just bought a brand new 250 and had no intention of upsizing any time soon.
    When i did get the itch to upsize (5 or 6 years later!), i didnt fancy the wait between the restricted and the full (like the OP), and i fancied a holiday anyway, so i went to Raro.
    As has been said before, a Raro licence can be got for $20 and a 60 second moped ride in front of the cop shop. You can then convert it immediately on your return for a full NZ licence by booking in and doing the full test.
    Also, it is correct that the foreign licence is valid for 12 months anyway and leaving and returning to the country just for a short time e.g. another holiday resets the 12 month validity provided the foreign licence is still valid.
    I know this because i was served a compliance notice for driving my car with my British licence after 12 months had passed and revalidated it by going on holiday.

PS. Before the rule followers start having a sulk about it and go crying to someone, i have full NZ bike and car licences and have done for a while now.
    I never once had, or considered having, a Restricted though.

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Have you heard anything back yet?
    Yip, within 10 working days. They wanted some more info. Unfortunately I was overseas at the time and have only just got back and supplied it. Now with the holidays in full swing I've no idea when it might be dealt with now. I'm pleasantly surprised that I've got this far.

Thread Information