Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre fitting prices?

Bike
    Trumpet

Tyre fitting prices?

Just enquiring if anyone knows the approximate cost to fit and balance a set of tyres. Usually in the past I have purchased tyres fitted from the same workshop, but I’m looking to buy some tyres on line and just seeing if it’s worth it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the shop, depends on whether you bring wheels only, or whole bike (and they have to remove and re-install wheels).

Anything from $50-$100 for whole bike for the tyre changes I've done. Wheels only is usually $20-$30 a wheel.

Shops will often give you a combo price for tyres and fitting, or the price for tyres is slightly padded and fitting free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Swivel View Post
    Just enquiring if anyone knows the approximate cost to fit and balance a set of tyres. Usually in the past I have purchased tyres fitted from the same workshop, but I’m looking to buy some tyres on line and just seeing if it’s worth it.
    i'm a sparky and i often deal with customers who want to supply their own stuff, the number of times they turn up with incorrect gear is wrong, then they expect you to warranty it, why not offer the shop the chance to supply the tyres at the price you can get them at, plus freight of course, then at least they have a chance of matching it, unless of course you are buying second hand

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm a sparky and i often deal with customers who want to supply their own stuff, the number of times they turn up with incorrect gear is wrong, then they expect you to warranty it, why not offer the shop the chance to supply the tyres at the price you can get them at, plus freight of course, then at least they have a chance of matching it, unless of course you are buying second hand
    i contaced my tyre shop before buying of cycletreads, they were $80 cheaper than retail,, they still got $50 of me for fitting and i bought a oil/ filter while i was there i dont see the problem

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Kawasaki
    What Gremlin said, $20-$30 I reckon, depends on where you go. It's usually a little cheaper if you buy the tyres from the local fitter/balancer, but it's not really a big job, and they can do it pretty quickly.

Just ask your closest bike shop.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Just paid $66 for two tyres that I supplied to be fitted.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    What Gremlin said, $20-$30 I reckon, depends on where you go.
    Hell I got quoted $35 per tyre from 2 local bike shops back in 2008. Thought fuck that, bought the required tools and have changed my own ever since.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Couple of levers,a rubber hammer and a garden spade .

or, get a fitted price when buying from the shop. (think there is a charge for disposal of carcass ?)

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    $20 - 25 supplying the rim and if they have a tyre machine, $70 - 80 if removing and fitting wheel for you and no tyre machine. I thought that 70-80 was a bit excessive and would have just bought the tools (I had left them at home, doh!) and done it in the car park myself if they told me the price beforehand. Won't ever be back to that Chch bike shop

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Different story in a bigger city but here I would love to buy tyres from the local guy I usually get to fit them when I'm being lazy, which is most of the time, ($20-25, I remove and refit the wheel) but I currently run Kenda rears, which he said not to bother with buying through him because he will not be able to get anywhere near the retail price I get them for from other suppliers. That's straight from his mouth.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    $20 - 25 supplying the rim and if they have a tyre machine, $70 - 80 if removing and fitting wheel for you and no tyre machine. I thought that 70-80 was a bit excessive and would have just bought the tools (I had left them at home, doh!) and done it in the car park myself if they told me the price beforehand. Won't ever be back to that Chch bike shop

Different story in a bigger city but here I would love to buy tyres from the local guy I usually get to fit them when I'm being lazy, which is most of the time, ($20-25, I remove and refit the wheel) but I currently run Kenda rears, which he said not to bother with buying through him because he will not be able to get anywhere near the retail price I get them for from other suppliers. That's straight from his mouth.
    That sounds very pricey. Budget M/C charge $25 per wheel incl removing, balancing and refitting. And the tyre prices are reasonable too.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries

Workshop rate

If you buy a tyre then take it to another dealer to fit it then it is reasonable that they charge you the full hourly workshop rate to fit them. When a dealer sells tyres they usually subsidise the fitting cost.
    Don't forget a decent tyre machine and balancer will set the dealer back around $8000 so it's another cost that has to be covered. Also they have to take a person away from a scheduled job to do the tyres "while you wait" as most shops don't just have a mechanic waiting around just in case you need a tyre done.
    $50 each isn't unreasonable.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    $50 each isn't unreasonable.
    It's fucking unreasonable if the wheel is off the bike?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Trumpet
    I just got quoted $30 each tyre fitted and balanced. I thought that was more then fair.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I've looked at this before and have usually found that getting the whole deal at the local supplier (Boyds) has been as cheap as or cheaper than buying the tyres online and getting them fitted separately.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Thread Information