Thread: And it's hello from him (VTRDave)

Bike
    2017 Triumph Thruxton

And it's hello from him (VTRDave)

Sold my bikes (a BMW K75S and a Norton 650SS Cafe Racer) when I retired a few years back because I thought I was too old to be riding.

By the start of this year it had slowly dawned on me that I was not too old, but if I did not do something pretty quickly I might be, so I did a bit of research and decided a VTR 1000 would probably be mildly amusing and fit my budget. I had ridden one some years ago, a dealers demonstrator which had left a lasting impression, and while there are bikes I would prefer time and financial constraints are a great aid to focussing the mind.

I looked at several rather tatty (and expensive!) examples before finding a pretty clean 2006 model which looked to be good value for money so have been gently easing myself back into the saddle and loving every minute.

So far I have spent about equal time riding and spannering. Nowt wrong with the beast, but I like to know what I am riding is safe and properly bolted together, plus as purchased it had auto cct so I had to fit manuals so I could ride without constantly listening for the rattle of doom - bloody Internet, theres a fine line between being informed, and being driven to paranoia.

Found this site while searching for insurance and have been lurking for a few months now so thought i better make myself legit and sign up!

Dave

Bike
    raptor 1000
    and hello from me

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear you are back into it. Agree re the internet - too much info some times!

Bike
    Welcome back.

VTR1000s have always been a good bit of fun for the price. I've nearly bought one a couple of times.

Hope you've got a nice raucous exhaust on there.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Nah Man Dave's Not Here!
    Welcome along Dave, those VTR;s are something special, enjoy it.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Welcome along Dave. What a perfect time of the year to return to riding as well.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    welcome
    there are some fellas along the coast who organise weekday evening rides via facebook via the Wellington Riders page if ya keen (have not joined in so cannot comment on the rides or company)
    will keep an eye out for you on Te Moana where everyone hoons
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Right about the rattle or click of doom Dave. Heard my son on his 05 VTR ride up the driveway - couple of months back - and park outside the garage as usual - usual except for the sound of a bucket of bolts being shaken about. LH tensioner shat itself. Motor didn't destruct and valves tested to clearance inspection OK.
    Didn't go for the manual option...modified the remaining tensioner and bought a new one - mod'd that too...to include a (hopeful) failsafe stopper inside the tensioner body - so WHEN the spring breaks - the shaft can only retreat halfway.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...welcome Dave...I wanted a VTR 1000 so badly some years back but it couldn't happen...family, racing, money, life...my son got one instead...I spent a day on his and realized that it was just a dream and that I should stick to ancient old shit and act my age...

Bike
    2017 Triumph Thruxton
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    welcome
    there are some fellas along the coast who organise weekday evening rides via facebook via the Wellington Riders page if ya keen (have not joined in so cannot comment on the rides or company)
    will keep an eye out for you on Te Moana where everyone hoons
    Thanks for that - will investigate further. I dont do hoon! lol (at least not when people are watching!)

Bike
    2017 Triumph Thruxton
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...welcome Dave...I wanted a VTR 1000 so badly some years back but it couldn't happen...family, racing, money, life...my son got one instead...I spent a day on his and realized that it was just a dream and that I should stick to ancient old shit and act my age...
    Not sure I know how to act my age....never been this old before so dont have much in the way of experience to draw on!

The ancient shit I would like all costs an arm a several legs so I have to stick to cheap modern stuff.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    VTR s are fun. Love mine. Just ask if you need to know anything about it. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Thruxton
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    VTR s are fun. Love mine. Just ask if you need to know anything about it. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I am sure there will be some questions once I get some k's up.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by VTRDave View Post
    Thanks, I am sure there will be some questions once I get some k's up.
    That Manual CCT thing is real. I know of a good few gone. Apart from that they are very reliable.

Best mod is to get the forks sorted, stock they are way to soft. Then maybe a shim under the shock if you would like quicker handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information