Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Harley Qs

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    So a Sporty 'Low' 1200 cc with the bigger tank (as i'm 5'4) ?

How different is the handling with mid mount foot rest to forward controls?
    Is it well balanced, can it corner well, or does it scrape like a lot of cruisers.
    What K/PL can one expect ( stock) at 100 kph...120 kph.
    What mods worthy of doing (forget about any bling add on here)?
    Suspension?
    Iv'e read stock seats are awefull, for a round island tour what is a good one?
    Obviously bikes designed for long distances but seems a lot spend time chuffing around cities to look cool, do they choke up on all round riding such as everyday commuting, open short road bursts and occasional long hauls with gear (what I do) ?
    Convince me , pros/cons ...
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...a Sportster is just a Sportster...do what you will, but a Sportster is a just a Sportster...sounds like you need a big block XYZ thingy...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...a Sportster is just a Sportster...do what you will, but a Sportster is a just a Sportster...sounds like you need a big block XYZ thingy...
    So ............

But where the F**K are you supposed to put your 24 pack?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victory-powered-xyz-_800x0w.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	325281

Bike
    2013 lil red tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    So a Sporty 'Low' 1200 cc with the bigger tank (as i'm 5'4) ?

How different is the handling with mid mount foot rest to forward controls?
    Is it well balanced, can it corner well, or does it scrape like a lot of cruisers.
    What K/PL can one expect ( stock) at 100 kph...120 kph.
    What mods worthy of doing (forget about any bling add on here)?
    Suspension?
    Iv'e read stock seats are awefull, for a round island tour what is a good one?
    Obviously bikes designed for long distances but seems a lot spend time chuffing around cities to look cool, do they choke up on all round riding such as everyday commuting, open short road bursts and occasional long hauls with gear (what I do) ?
    Convince me , pros/cons ...
    Ok.....
    I'm also 5'4" and have a sportster (2013 xl1200ca). This has the larger tank (around 18L / 4 Gallon). This gets me between 250 and 300 km, though could probably go a bit further if you ride it gently enough.
    Yes, it scrapes a bit - it aint a sports bike ! However, nowhere near as much as a lot of other cruisers. Mine has stock mid controls as opposed to forward controls, and I think they make a difference - preferred mids to forwards on the ones I test rode.

Mods:
    Seat - stock seat is ok for the rider, but pillion seat will have a passenger squirming after 20 minutes, if they're not already crying in agony - it'll almost cut them in half !. I have a Mustang solo seat that is very comfy, but for 2-up I have a Haley Sundowner touring seat, which is very comfy for both rider and pillion. Bought 2nd hand off trademe - never buy new, they're fucking expensive (pay for the name!!)

Tuner - I have a Powervision tuner fitted (made by Dynojet, of power commander fame) well worth the money spent - has autotune feature that allows exhaust/air filter mods without a dyno. Lots of other benefits too - worth googling and reading up.

Suspension:
    The best mod you could do would be suspension - the stock suspension is pretty rubbish. It does the job, but if you want to push it a bit this is where your greatest gain will be inititially. I guess it comes down to how hard you wanna go, of if you're just happy cruising ;-)

No choking up - mine seems to be happy chuffing around town, and on day rides. More than capable of a tour - I've lapped the South Island (criss-cross wise) twice on mine without a problem, as well as a few Welly to Aucks 'commutes' to visit the kids. Was definitely a much happier camper as an allrounder once the Powervision Tuner was fitted, though.
    It's happy carving up the twin-cams on the twisties, and beats most of them in a short drag race - which surprises most, and really ticks them off !

It is what it is. Like all bikes there are horses for courses. Anyone on a Jap sports bike (even a small one) would smash me over the hill (Rimutaka) in a closed road contest ( ) - but that aint why I ride, and aint why I own a sporty.

Hope this helps !
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    So ............

But where the F**K are you supposed to put your 24 pack?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victory-powered-xyz-_800x0w.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	325281

...in the back of the ute...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...in the back of the ute...
    ROFLOL

Thanks for the info Turtleman, helpful

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleman View Post
    Ok.....
    I'm also 5'4" and have a sportster (2013 xl1200ca). This has the larger tank (around 18L / 4 Gallon). This gets me between 250 and 300 km, though could probably go a bit further if you ride it gently enough.
    Yes, it scrapes a bit - it aint a sports bike ! However, nowhere near as much as a lot of other cruisers. Mine has stock mid controls as opposed to forward controls, and I think they make a difference - preferred mids to forwards on the ones I test rode.

Mods:
    Seat - stock seat is ok for the rider, but pillion seat will have a passenger squirming after 20 minutes, if they're not already crying in agony - it'll almost cut them in half !. I have a Mustang solo seat that is very comfy, but for 2-up I have a Haley Sundowner touring seat, which is very comfy for both rider and pillion. Bought 2nd hand off trademe - never buy new, they're fucking expensive (pay for the name!!)

Tuner - I have a Powervision tuner fitted (made by Dynojet, of power commander fame) well worth the money spent - has autotune feature that allows exhaust/air filter mods without a dyno. Lots of other benefits too - worth googling and reading up.

Suspension:
    The best mod you could do would be suspension - the stock suspension is pretty rubbish. It does the job, but if you want to push it a bit this is where your greatest gain will be inititially. I guess it comes down to how hard you wanna go, of if you're just happy cruising ;-)

No choking up - mine seems to be happy chuffing around town, and on day rides. More than capable of a tour - I've lapped the South Island (criss-cross wise) twice on mine without a problem, as well as a few Welly to Aucks 'commutes' to visit the kids. Was definitely a much happier camper as an allrounder once the Powervision Tuner was fitted, though.
    It's happy carving up the twin-cams on the twisties, and beats most of them in a short drag race - which surprises most, and really ticks them off !

It is what it is. Like all bikes there are horses for courses. Anyone on a Jap sports bike (even a small one) would smash me over the hill (Rimutaka) in a closed road contest ( ) - but that aint why I ride, and aint why I own a sporty.

Hope this helps !
    Good write up...
    One more thing that matters as well in sporty vs big block Harleys is belts....
    With a sporty you can change drive belts easily.
    With a big block you will have to take the whole bloody bike apart.
    I have done it twice myself, and once in a workshop on south island trip belt breakdown( 3 days and $1000.00)

Enough reason for me to sell mine...
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information