View Poll Results: Do people stop if you fall off?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

12 27.27%
  • Often

17 38.64%
  • Rarely

10 22.73%
  • Never

5 11.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do people stop when you crash & fall off?

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200

Do people stop when you crash & fall off?

I have found it quite interesting in the 3 years riding a bike how often motorists ignore that fact you have fallen over on a motorcycle and just carry on. I have fallen off maybe 6 times at low speed due to loss of traction and only once had anyone stop to check if I was OK, is this normal?

I remember one incident where my rear wheel hit a patch of gravel and I spun up in the middle of Amberly, a car that was passing through actually tooted at me to get out of the way whilst I was lying on the road...

And yes I know falling off 6 times is rather excessive, usually it was related to weather conditions and lack of experience as I ride in everything, ice, snow, rain, hail. I think I have learnt my lesson now as the last time I fell off was in April, since then have run much better tyres.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Sorry not enough data to make a conclusive decision. Also you need more poll options like *crash from own bad riding and try to flee scene, do witnesses notice ;p*
    Recent ones outside my house have seen a cold road scooter slide and also a Harley get Camry'd and lots of people stopped to help both.

I think your prob not crashing fast enough. Most people can tell the difference between whooopsie and organ donor level crashes. The times I've needed help people have stopped.
    The times when I didn't including arsing off in front of a cop car they have carried on their merry way chuckling lol....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    CB1300
    No. It is not normal... however it is the way the world has gone.
    I always stop and I like to think someone would stop but the world is becoming a more callous place.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Do people stop when you crash / fall off.

Mate, there's an ever growing number of people behind the wheel who aren't even concentrating on their own driving, never mind looking out for some poor sod that's gone down on their bike.

Sounds like a bit of rider training with an on road observer wouldn't hurt in your case.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    I've had some roadside assistance before when I needed some help. In both cases I got helped by pedestrians but some drivers did glance in my direction, but I think that's the classic kiwi "rubber-necking".

I've heard stories of people in cars wanting roadside assistance as well and nobody stopping to help. Some people say they don't stop because they are unsure if their help is needed or even wanted, some say it's because they don't feel safe to stop and help - like the person is a serial killer luring unsuspecting drivers.

One thing is for sure though, if you do see an accident you should consider reporting it to the police.

"All crashes resulting in injury (such as broken bones or a night in hospital) should be reported to local police as soon as is practicable and no later than 24 hours from the time of the crash." [source: NZ police website]

Bike
    None Yet
    On the two occasions that I came off, plenty of people stopped to offer assistance.
    I remember having half a dozen people asking if I was okay, all while I was still "in the zone" of trying to figure wtf just happened.
    Was in the middle of no where too, I guess someone in riding gear standing on the side of the road with no bike tends to stands out.
    Maybe in a more populated area... people assume someone else will help.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Hads View Post
    I have fallen off maybe 6 times at low speed due to loss of traction and only once had anyone stop to check if I was OK, is this normal?
    no, falling off six times is not normal.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    falling off six times in three years is not normal. Do some courses or something. I promise to stop and check if you are OK if I do see you lying under your bike though.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    A post from stuff.co.nz is doing the rounds on FB atm on this subject.

A lady somewhere took a stone to her eye though her open side car window.A rather nasty injury blood and all the guff going on.
    She pulled over and tried tooting her horn to summon help.When that did not work she got out and tried to flag someone down blood everywhere I guess just to have a large number of people on what was a busy road drive past her until another lady finally stopped.

I once seen an old guy roll his mobility scooter over in a pothole in the middle of the road while crossing and watched while people just drove around him and then tooted at me when I stepped out putting my hands up to stop oncoming traffic(I was walking at the time) to help.

Bottom line as much as we like to think we are the 'caring kiwis' our past generations were known for the reality is becoming a different story.

And full time car drivers are mostly dicks.

So don't be offended its not just bikers they don't stop for.Most bikers ive found will stop and check your ok even if your just alone and stopped in a funny rural spot and I always do.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I fell off in 1989 stopping for some girls on a crossing. Shoelace caught on brake lever.

They stopped and had a good laugh at me.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Doing the TT2000 last year over the 2 days I came across 3 accidents involving motorbikes.

In the first instance involving a TT'er there was already an ambulance and other people there doing traffic management when I arrived, 2 ute drivers had stopped to help out.

Second accident was a guy who'd hit a piece of wood on a corner while riding a Suzuki Boulevard and ended up in a ditch. I was the first on the scene and was helping him out - both car drivers that came along stopped to see if they could help and one helped get the bike out of the ditch.

Third was near on the Crown Range Rd, 2 other bikes and a car had stopped to help the person out - I did stop to see if they needed more help but they waved me on (it was right on a corner so not the best place).

However...

There was a guy pushing his bike along the SH1 about 10km north of Amberley a couple of years ago and I was the only vehicle to stop (I was actually going the other direction in my truck so had to U-turn). He'd just run out of petrol but no one else was stopping.

So yes cars (and bikes) do stop but it seems only when not on a state highway.

Bike
    A
    The only poll you should be having is about which training provider to use. I mean you've come off at an alarming rate so far...haven't you worked out you need some skill improvement?

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    I've had one minor off in recent years - people stopped to help.
    I had two flat tyres on motorways - bikes stopped in both cases.
    I've helped give first aid in two accidents - others also stopped.
    I usually stop to help broken down bikes on the side of the road (unless on a motorway in a built up area and I would need to cross lanes of traffic)
    I don't stop to help broken down cars unless in remote areas.
    So my experience has been positive. But there may have been situations where I didn't see that someone was in trouble. I suspect that some of the bleating complaints are in situations where people going past did not realise there was an issue.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The only prang I've had on the bike I didn't actually come off but did end up with mrs lying on the ground with an injured foot, even though there were plenty of kb people to help a couple of cars still stopped to see if there was anything they could do.

When pushing my bike almost the whole length of the waitaki bridge, nobody offered to help in fact some cars almost hit me trying to squeeze past rather than wait for the traffic coming the other way to pass.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Only had one accident on the road (famously on a KB ride) and two people did help me get the bike off the road (turned out i'd fucked my shoulder a bit but didn't know it at the time). They may have driven past, but there was a GSXR blocking the road

My wife came off her scooter in some ice last year and LOTS of people stopped in cars, I imagine a few of them were KBer's though by the sound as they all told her they rode bikes.
    But she has boobs, so not a fair comparison.

Does sound like you need rider training or at least a buddy to watch you mate, that's a fair few whoopsies. Even Askor hasn't crashed that much this year

Thread Information