Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got side-swiped on the motorway

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Got side-swiped on the motorway

Right - was lanesplitting. Guy hit my side doing a no indicator and obviously no mirror check.

When I lanesplit, I go between cars no worries but am very wary to passing someone when their adjacent lane is empty (I.e. In case they change lane). The only time I will pass them without moving into their adjacent lane is if they are just before or just after the vehicle they are passing (I.e. They would be way too close to be changing lane).

So, yesterday.... 70/80kph traffic. I'm doing my thing at 90 or so and smash, got side swiped. Nice big skid down the road. Munted ankle, wrist, fairings and engine case but I'm OK.
    The guy who moves over seemed to think it was Ok to pull into a lane at 80kph leaving 2-3metres in front of the car he was pulling in front of (forgetting about me completely).

The cop says I "might" get a ticket for unsafe overtake in the mail.

So, firstly. Who is at fault insurance wise. The car/bike impact is entirely side to side. He doesn't deny changing lane. He was just moaning to anyone listening that I was doing 500kph in his blind spot. He has a NZ license but his Facebook reveals he passed his driving test in India.

Secondly, was I doing an unsafe overtake? I was within lane 2, within the speed limit, passing on the right with my right hand indicator on for at least three seconds prior.

Fuck my ankle hurts!!!

Also, first three cars that saw me lying in the road went by camera phone out the window.
    Car 4 who watched the whole accident (she was the car the guy that hit me was pulling in front of) asked "Are you Rokay?" then drove off.

Ducati rider stopped bike in lane three, dismounted, checked on me, then rode to bike, picked bike up, moved it to hard shoulder, retrieved me from the central barrier and stopped traffic to let me cross then left.
    Thanks bud - you da man!

Ambo saw it from the other side and came and checked me out - top blokes.

Cops were both great - one bike cop and one motorway patrol (the Utes with cones). The cop bike did all the forms. The patrol dropped me home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Ummm, If I am correct, you only ment to lane split stationary traffic or one at no more then 11-14kms an hour. Lane splitting 70-80km traffic is a sheer lunacy.
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Bugger mate! Glad you are okay...
    This thread is gonna go on for a bit I bet.....you might have the time to read whilst your ankle heals.
    I guess if the copper says you might get a ticket, betcha you do! I will give it no more than 10 days...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I have no words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Bit shit no one gave you a hand, impatient mofo's

Fault wise you're both in the wrong from my understanding of the law.

Bike
    motocompo
    Why does the post start with "Right"?

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Why does the post start with "Right"?
    Euphemism for so.... here is the story boys and girls....(secretly it implies I was in the right the whole time, but this is my input!)

What gets me is the post is a little condescending to the motorists, implying fault is with the driver, right down to impersonating accents! then gives rave reviews for the motorcyclist...
    Hmm, tad skewed here...

I want the drivers viewpoint. Anyway it looks, the fault is with the rider IMO - too fast for the conditions here, really!

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Bit shit no one gave you a hand, impatient mofo's
    You get that in the big smoke aye! In your neck of the woods, the whole town would have turned out, three fire trucks, tanker, ambulance and the local press... street closed for two hours....and so on...
    Just another day, another rider potentially adding to the statistics and another incremental increase to the ACC Levy once the Beehive hears about it.

Bike
    S1000RR
    1. Indian curry shit eater can't fucking drive.

2. Yeah, your speed mate. At 80kph the officer would assume you to just flow with the traffic.

Well, it's too late for blame game now. Hope you get your insurance claim sorted bud!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Hope you have insurance.

If you filter at 70 kph you don't have a chance of getting away with anything IMHO.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Euphemism for so.... here is the story boys and girls....(secretly it implies I was in the right the whole time, but this is my input!)

What gets me is the post is a little condescending to the motorists, implying fault is with the driver, right down to impersonating accents! then gives rave reviews for the motorcyclist...
    Hmm, tad skewed here...

I want the drivers viewpoint. Anyway it looks, the fault is with the rider IMO - too fast for the conditions here, really!
    "Right" is a particularly condescending way to start a sentence, usually used by bully bosses preceding some kind of telling off,
    That's why I didn't read the rest of the post.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    You didn't miss anything.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    "Right" is a particularly condescending way to start a sentence, usually used by bully bosses preceding some kind of telling off,
    Left... alone for a week or two with a busted ankle, he might reconsider the pros and cons of splitting at 80kmhr.

Iirc, it's illegal to split passed non stationary traffic unless you keep within the lane of the vehicle you are passing, and have the right indicator on. Also illegal to lane change without indicating. So tickets for everyone! Which reminds me, I haven't seen star wars yet...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    The rest of the post has the same attitude. I'm not even going to get into who I think is right or wrong, OP is obviously a bit of a cock with a big race problem.

Bike
    motocompo
    Oh phew, I figured I was going to get roasted for that, but felt it was worth going out on a limb for.

Thread Information