Thread: BMW R Nine T?

Bike
    2007 ZX6R

Question BMW R Nine T?

Hey guys,

I am currently looking to replace my 2007 ZX6R with a more comfy commuter bike. For that the BMW R NINE T caught my eye.

This bike is pretty expensive though and while I will test ride it on the weekend - I am still hesitant and want to see if there is something similar around that is not as steep in price?

Could you put me on the right track at what other bikes also to look at? Esp. bikes that are available in NZ

Thanks.

Marcus

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If you want it for commuting, there are plenty of cheaper bikes available. 300-500cc, Honda has a heap for example, CB, CBX, CBR. Even cheaper would be a 2nd hand CB919, cheap as chips just about.

You don't seem to list any particular reasons you came to the R Nine T?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2007 ZX6R
    I am looking at a bike in that class that's why I mentioned that type. If I want to save money I'd go with a 150cc scooter - but not sure if that would be fun...

Bike
    Guzzi's , Gilera Saturno
    Quote Originally Posted by schnupfy View Post
    Hey guys,

I am currently looking to replace my 2007 ZX6R with a more comfy commuter bike. For that the BMW R NINE T caught my eye.

This bike is pretty expensive though and while I will test ride it on the weekend - I am still hesitant and want to see if there is something similar around that is not as steep in price?

Could you put me on the right track at what other bikes also to look at? Esp. bikes that are available in NZ

Thanks.

Marcus
    How about an old R80 with some mods Mines cost less than a 3rd of the price of an RnineT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmw3.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	319281  

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Obviously you are not sold on the BMW.

You'll need to define your idea of commuter for anyone to help.

I'd back the Hornet 900 idea and you'd have a huge sum left over to buy a different bike for the non-commuter activities.

Unless you are like Hitcher and think a 300km ride is commuting .....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I am looking at a bike in that class that's why I mentioned that type.
    What class? Boxer engine? Over 1 litre? Cafe style? Price bracket? Naked?

What Allan said... define your idea of a commuter... I'd consider something reliable, cheap to service (unless you're doing it yourself etc) easy on gas/tyres/other consumables.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Street tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Unless you are like Hitcher and think a 300km ride is commuting .....
    This... How far are you commuting? I'm doing 60km each way and wonder if a 1200 isn't a bit excessive for that. No idea what I'd economically change for, though.

Bike
    2007 ZX6R
    Mhhh - ok. I will only register one bike at a time - I've already got a BMW sitting in the garage (R1200C) that I use when I ride with my wife (as a pillion). So I want one bike in the same class as the r nine t - similar look and performance - I will use that bike for the daily commute which differs as I am seeing clients - and I am not concerned about the maintenance/fuel costs. I will ride that bike also on the weekend for fun. The input does not change - as mentioned before - same class like the Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE for instance.

Bike
    Nada
    Mhhh - ok. I will only register one bike at a time - I've already got a BMW sitting in the garage (R1200C) that I use when I ride with my wife (as a pillion). So I want one bike in the same class as the r nine t - similar look and performance - I will use that bike for the daily commute which differs as I am seeing clients - and I am not concerned about the maintenance/fuel costs. I will ride that bike also on the weekend for fun. The input does not change - as mentioned before - same class like the Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE for instance.
    Just buy the Beemer and we can all move on

Bike
    Street tracker
    KTM 1290 Super Duke? Similar class, different character, great fun, guaranteed to be a talking point with any remotely interested clients while the BMW could slip under the radar.

Bike
    2007 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by gjm View Post
    KTM 1290 Super Duke? Similar class, different character, great fun, guaranteed to be a talking point with any remotely interested clients while the BMW could slip under the radar.
    That one looks pretty good - Thanks for the hint

Bike
    2007 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    How about an old R80 with some mods Mines cost less than a 3rd of the price of an RnineT
    Thanks - also good looking - but only one on tm - and that looks a bit too used

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Add Monster 1200 and the new Tuono 1100 as well.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Or wait until the new Triumph Bonnie arrives in NZ.

Bike
    Nada

Thumbs up

Awwww....precious got the hurts! I take your negative rep and cuddle it to sleep sir
    Mate, you've come on here asking opinions on options for your daily commute without providing any real information for someone to be able to genuinely help out.
    I think that you'd find that many are happy to, but help a honky/nig nog out!
    Good luck

Thread Information