Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Viz - I do not think that word means what you think it means (Princess Bride ref)

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Hi-Viz - I do not think that word means what you think it means (Princess Bride ref)

I have long thought the cult of Hi-Viz is a Waste Of Time (tm)

People who don't look, don't look. So if you're wearing glaring colors right up there in the high visibility spectrum, it doesn't matter, because they, don't look.

On my afternoon commute, I came upon a Give Way sign to my left, I had the straight through road. A car roared up to the give way sign, paused briefly, and pulled out in front of me with no hesitation. Covering the brakes as I often do, I was able to stop about a meter before I would have impacted the clown's driver's door, when he panicked and jammed on the brakes as he pulled out in front of me.

I don't know how much more visible this bike could be... Must I now add neon? Dancing girls? A strobe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1251.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	506.3 KB 
ID:	319286

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I can see a ladder, back of a vehicle, some wooden framing... but no bike...

Perhaps a death laser might be a good addition?

BTW - do like the jaws...

but, agree, if they don't look then they won't see...

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Right. So you are like many cagers. You see just what you want to see (yeah I know, you're probably being sarcastic).

Bike
    A
    All I can see is one big oil stain with some faint lights emanating from it...

Bike
    It was on the good
    And stickers, don't forget the stickers.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    All I can see is one big oil stain with some faint lights emanating from it...
    I understand, really. You're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Tassels, hehehehehehehehe.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Also - I think y'all are ignoring the Deathproof Duck.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    With all those stickers he must have thought you were a billboard.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    That's a (remote) possibility...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    just chuck some of those red and blue flashing lights on and you should be OK, stops most people......

Speaking of which had similar last night, not as bad as you, driver saw his mistake bowed his head, oh no.
    He only stopped because of the ankle bracelet me thinks.

On the way home, stuck in the usual Friday traffic - saw a couple of these as per above.
    Wondered if often it's because people at certain times 'don't expect' there to be any one and so don't look for anyone - just a casual glance because that's automatic. Sometimes it's after revisiting a dramatic event location - as wel will see shortly below.
    Most people never think about mbikes - makes them invisible
    Last edited by eldog; 5th February 2016 at 17:37. Reason: On the way home.....

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    A few months ago a saw a car pull straight out in front of a HGV that had more lights on it than a Christmas tree - road was straight, it was daylight and weather was clear.

The car driver had been parked sideways on the verge while leaving some flowers at a white cross - obviously bad driving was a family trait.

To this day I have no idea how the HGV driver kept control and managed to go from 100 to 0 in the space available.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Headed down to Rotorua last Saturday for a mates wedding. Other friends had a slightly more eventful trip down.

They're on a straight, cruise dialed in at 95 in one of those 4WD Holden Adventra wagons. Car from side road pulls straight out in front of them, gap probably 20m. Friend decides the best place for the brake pedal is the floor, sees the oncoming is clear and while braking steers around the car missing it by something like a ruler length. Pulls off to the side to re-collect thoughts before going to the other driver (who also pulled over). Friends wife had been on her mobile, so only saw the bonnet of the other as they swerved around and didn't really know what was going on, daughter had seen the whole lot and in tears (then hugging mum and declaring love etc).

Friend decides yelling is no good, but simply says to the other driver, I'm a medic, I know what would have happened. I would have torn your car in half, killed you both, and my family would all be hospitalised with serious injuries at the least...

Driver of the other car looked left when pulling out... instead of right...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    If they don't look... not alot yer can do about that...
    but wearing a hi viz an't going to make some A hole pull out
    in front of yer....

those that do wear them will never know how many times it may have saved there ass...

just a thought.......
    The real prob with hi viz now could be it has become so common that yer brain
    no longer picks up on it as it once did....
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I would not sweat it to much. Every little helps but when someone is not registering what they see....
    I'm following a broadly similar thread on another forum and the clincher was a Popo on a bike, lights and sirens on, hi viz to the max, riding slowly, getting knocked off his bike by a driver exiting a junction. Excuse was SMIDSY.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information