Thread: Buying used sports bikes?

Bike
    05 Bandit 1200, 08 YZF250, 07 RMZ450

Buying used sports bikes?

I'm thinking of buying a K4 or ideally a K5 GSXR1000. My dream bike as I grew up lusting after these during my medical (and matrimonial) riding suspension. But as I understand it, this was also a desirable bike for trackday specials and racers.

I'm just after a bit of advice on what to look out for primarily to avoid buying a trashed out one with new plastics to make it look good? ex, I heard loud clutch basket is a bad sign of being ridden hard out.

I'm not afraid of higher kms I just want something that's been looked after. any chance you think?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Service records or a owner you can convince you that he serviced it frequently (will be able to talk you through all the ins and outs of the bike). Clean brake fluid etc will indicate regular maintenance. Ask when the coolant was last changed .......

Look over nuts and bolts - a ham fisted tuner will have munted many ........

Signs of being raced - other than a track it is a hard core rider who can thrash a modern big bore on the public road and live long or keep a license!

Bike
    A
    Use a site such as www.carjam.co.nz to get a handle on WOF mileages etc. I'd be wary of anything with missed or failed warrants for example.

The visual of any bike should give you a few clues...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Look for holes drilled in the sump plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Jeez I forgot how much I hate buying new vehicles

almost as much as I hate selling old ones

Thanks fellas

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I had a K4 and it was one of the best bikes Ive owned (coming from a big Yamaha Fan btw) I track day-ed it, toured long distance and commuted on it after I bought it as an accident write off - its currently listed on trademe with no mention of its write off history . . . .

The K5 was a new model, that, from what I understand is still considered to be possibly the coolest GSXR 1K built - largely due to its awesome engine.

As for the having been raced - I wouldnt worry about that. Mate, these things are MADE to be ridden like a supermodel - hard, fast, and with little consideration for its feelings. One thats been properly raced will have been well serviced, as racers know the value of caring for the machine that can make you a winner, or dead, depending on how you maintain it.

If its been track day-ed, that wouldnt bother me either - they arent meant to be punted along at 90k and hour. . .

Just have a good look over the bike, ask lots of questions, and get an inspection done by someone qualified before handing over the folding stuff, but remember, whether you are buying a second hand scooter for $500, or a second hand ferrari for 500k, you can only tell so much from an inspection.

When I sold the K4 I had, it went with every receipt for every cent spent on it, the re-vin paperwork, a copy of the engineer's certification, and brake declaration I had completed before re-registering it, receipts for oil filters and oil - everything. Any cunt can bullshit their way through all the wonderful servicing they had done, but its still only someones word.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    I had a K4 and it was one of the best bikes Ive owned (coming from a big Yamaha Fan btw) I track day-ed it, toured long distance and commuted on it after I bought it as an accident write off - its currently listed on trademe with no mention of its write off history . . . .

The K5 was a new model, that, from what I understand is still considered to be possibly the coolest GSXR 1K built - largely due to its awesome engine.

As for the having been raced - I wouldnt worry about that. Mate, these things are MADE to be ridden like a supermodel - hard, fast, and with little consideration for its feelings. One thats been properly raced will have been well serviced, as racers know the value of caring for the machine that can make you a winner, or dead, depending on how you maintain it.

If its been track day-ed, that wouldnt bother me either - they arent meant to be punted along at 90k and hour. . .

Just have a good look over the bike, ask lots of questions, and get an inspection done by someone qualified before handing over the folding stuff, but remember, whether you are buying a second hand scooter for $500, or a second hand ferrari for 500k, you can only tell so much from an inspection.

When I sold the K4 I had, it went with every receipt for every cent spent on it, the re-vin paperwork, a copy of the engineer's certification, and brake declaration I had completed before re-registering it, receipts for oil filters and oil - everything. Any cunt can bullshit their way through all the wonderful servicing they had done, but its still only someones word.
    thanks for that feedback mate. I get what your saying and I agree to an extent but - the poeple who have thrashed and / or raced them don't seem to reflect that in their asking prices. I aint gonna pay the same money for a hard ridden raced or thrashed one as a clean genuine low km example. If the price reflects a difference in history though, then fair play.

by the way, which K4 on TM was yours? the black one with the packrack.....?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by mynemesis View Post
    thanks for that feedback mate. I get what your saying and I agree to an extent but - the poeple who have thrashed and / or raced them don't seem to reflect that in their asking prices. I aint gonna pay the same money for a hard ridden raced or thrashed one as a clean genuine low km example. If the price reflects a difference in history though, then fair play.

by the way, which K4 on TM was yours? the black one with the packrack.....?
    yep black with the pack rack. several identifying factor about it.

That said, I would have that exact bike back again. in fact, I actually looked at whether I could afford to buy it back, but with a new baby I cant afford it at the moment, a shame as it is a mint bike for a great price. It has been dropped since I had it - as I sold it in pretty much immacculate condition, but it looks to be just a few scratches on the left so that wouldnt put me off personally

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Look for holes drilled in the sump plug.
    because nobody would be smart enough to put a new one in.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    I'm looking at a first car for my daughter. Trust me - with the shit I'm seeing on some vehicles, people are not smart!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm looking at a first car for my daughter. Trust me - with the shit I'm seeing on some vehicles, people are not smart!
    Mate we are thinking of selling our wee Mitsi runabout...3 door hatch vintage 97 and just clicked over 48,000 km and a 1.3 manual.Bought it 11 years ago to teach the mrs to drive and use to get me to work,work is only 3kms away hence the low kms (im a lazy bastard).Has had the oil changed once a year since bought and the cambelt done around 4 years ago.Has done a couple of trips up to ch-ch in its time and goes well though annoying when your trying to pass something as it runs outta puff....quick Let me know if any interest and will talk to the mrs.Sorry to op a tad off topic.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    When did racers get smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information