Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I must be one of those idiots in a cage

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    Assuming this new Tech is good enough to 'see' motorcyclists' also or suffer from the same bike is just to skinny to be seen problem we have now.

I would like to see one of those "Smart stop" cars roll up behind a lone stopped bike at 50kms and see what the result is.

Unlike some on here who will never admit it most are human and make mistakes the rest is preparation timing and blind luck on the riders part.

Speed cameras have picked bikes up since for ages bru. The tech is easily there.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post

What I have decided to do is stop at all give way signs, this gives a me a wee bit of time for the bike to move out from behind the pillar.
    I hope I have learned to look three times for bikes. Hope this works in future.
    So I have done this once, so if every cager / idiot has to make the same mistake just once in their lifetimes, thats far to many close calls/ crashes.
    I see far too many driver rocking up to a Give Way in a manner that indicates their judgement is "I probably won't have to give way to anything" instead of "Hmm, better take it easy in case I have to give way to something"

And in a 'work' car I see a lot just about standing their car on its nose trying to stop at a Give Way when they see me, I guarantee if I was in the Mighty Maina they would would have shot out on front of me causing me to brake heavily...

As a little aside, any of you others noticed 'Scummys Law'?

It's where the more you are 'inconvenienced' (have to brake to avoid hitting them) when somebody shoots out from a Give Way the more likely the offending driver will turn off into the next street/driveway/car-park.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Shit happens. Ideally it doesn't happen twice
    If it kills you I guess it won't....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I see far too many driver rocking up to a Give Way in a manner that indicates their judgement is "I probably won't have to give way to anything" instead of "Hmm, better take it easy in case I have to give way to something"

And in a 'work' car I see a lot just about standing their car on its nose trying to stop at a Give Way when they see me, I guarantee if I was in the Mighty Maina they would would have shot out on front of me causing me to brake heavily...

It's where the more you are 'inconvenienced' (have to brake to avoid hitting them) when somebody shoots out from a Give Way the more likely the offending driver will turn off into the next street/driveway/car-park.
    +1...

or they are driving something that shouts "I'M SO F**KING IMPORTANT GET OUT OF MY WAY PEASANT AND MY LATTE SKIM-MILK SOYA DECAFFEINATED COFFEE IS GETTING COLD"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Aucklanders do that at Stops... Give Way they barely slow down
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    If it kills you I guess it won't....
    Ideally it doesn't happen at all, obviously, but little lines like those don't change the fact that people fuck up and that will NEVER change until we fuck up so much that we add ourselves to our own extinction list.

Like someone else said, count yourself lucky, learn from it, don't do it again. Easy. Finger pointing, blame games, scare tactics and fines do nothing for preventing things and are probably more of a distraction from what needs to be looked at more than a deterrent.

I agree with the people roaring up to give way signs (in your other post) with no intention to stop. Just because I can't doesn't mean they can't, but fucked if I could ever safely scan an intersection as quickly as a lot of others seem to be able to. You only need to glance at your watch and see the second hand seeming to stay still or go backwards from time to time to know you can't trust a glance.

I've just been away in a decent sized camper bus for 2 days and fuck me the amount of people doing the jump out to shoot off on the next side street has increased 1000%. I guess because I'm on holiday in a large vehicle I've got more time to slam on the brakes and then get back up to speed eh Wonder if they count that shit in the camper stats.

Bike
    A Red German one.

It is amazing how law abiding we all become when a Police car is present. Indicators not used for years miraculously come to life. The seat belt spiders are disturbed, and the road rules are strictly adhered too. Even speed limits are obeyed to the nth degree.

Hell even stop signs are adhered too, and vehicles actually stop.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The rider who rear ended would also be ignorant of following distance road rules would they not?
    Yes, well spotted. Give that man a cigar. As you unbelievably seem to finally understand, even the 'innocent' party in a crash generally could have done something to avoid it.

You're learning.

Thread Information