Thread: Mavora Lakes at Easter 2016?

Bike
    DRZ400

Mavora Lakes at Easter 2016?

Anyone keen to do a Mavora lakes trip at easter? Go over on the Southern Discoveries boat (costs $55) then down to the lakes and around and home. I will doing it from Wanaka and what day will depend on the forecast. Anyone have and tips/hints for the trip? Will be doing it on my DRZ400 - anyone know the round trip distance from Queenstown?

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Take plenty of sandfly and tourist repellant.

It WILL be very busy, been a couple of years since I did that trip so can't remember the distances, (more fuel than my KTM tank and less than the V-Strom )

Some excellent riding up past the head off the lakes, the ideal scenario is have someone in a tin top take your gear and some spare fuel and camp there for the weekend.

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Anyone keen to do a Mavora lakes trip at Easter? Go over on the Southern Discoveries boat (costs $55) then down to the lakes and around and home. I will doing it from Wanaka and what day will depend on the forecast. Anyone have and tips/hints for the trip? Will be doing it on my DRZ400 - anyone know the round trip distance from Queenstown?

You are pretty much doing the "Around the Mountains Cycle Trail" I think its around 185km?

There is a site with info

Being Easter there could be some traffic from Mavora down to 94 but next to nothing above to Walter Peak.
    Your choice to cut back through 97 to five rivers or run down to Lumsden(meal/fuel stop?) then back up.
    Most food supplies are closed after 5pm in Mossburn.
    Fuel in Mossburn until around 7pm or 24hrs in Lumsden.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Thread Information