Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki 1250FA questions

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Suzuki 1250FA questions

Kinda thinking about a 1250FA. Trying to work out why they are so much heavier than the Bandit 1250.

What kind of fuel range do you get out of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Kinda thinking about a 1250FA. Trying to work out why they are so much heavier than the Bandit 1250.

What kind of fuel range do you get out of them?
    Define "so much heavier".

The only weight difference should be a couple of extra plastic panels covering the engine and other cosmetics. A couple of extra kg will make fuck all difference to what that engine can poke along.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Define "so much heavier".

The only weight difference should be a couple of extra plastic panels covering the engine and other cosmetics. A couple of extra kg will make fuck all difference to what that engine can poke along.
    Specs say 25kg more. Has a bigger Radiator and plastics. Cant see 25kg in that.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    I get 320 Indicated K's on a full tank, usually got about 2-3 litres left even then.Averaging 20 K's to the litre, even when motoring on a bit. Only known problem with these between 208-2014 I think is the rec/reg problem, which Suzuki NZ is fixing for free if you can be arsed getting your bike booked into a Suzuki dealers place to do it, on them.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    I get 320 Indicated K's on a full tank, usually got about 2-3 litres left even then.Averaging 20 K's to the litre, even when motoring on a bit. Only known problem with these between 208-2014 I think is the rec/reg problem, which Suzuki NZ is fixing for free if you can be arsed getting your bike booked into a Suzuki dealers place to do it, on them.
    Cheers. Decent range then. 2016 FAs are on sale at 13k. Few mods and they produce some power. But they do suffer from being porky.

Rec should be a 15min swap over.

Bike
    A
    Cool bike overall. Was on my shopping list back in 2013. By the time all the mods are done, it made more sense to grab a Busa. You might not be far off the same logic by the time you do the maths...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Cool bike overall. Was on my shopping list back in 2013. By the time all the mods are done, it made more sense to grab a Busa. You might not be far off the same logic by the time you do the maths...
    No they are to long for me, same with ZX14. Mind wants Gixxer and body wants cruiser. To be fair the normal 1250s sell cheap used but I like the dash on the FA.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Cheers. Decent range then. 2016 FAs are on sale at 13k. Few mods and they produce some power. But they do suffer from being porky.
    Handling and ability are far more important. Plus when manufacturers try to lose weight they'll go as far as hollow bolts etc. Guess what, it's going to break more easily isn't it? I'd much rather have more weight and have it robust.

The GSA spec says 256kg fully fuelled, but I'm sure mine is heavier. Doesn't matter to me, it handles great, I can do what I want with it... just a bit heavy when picking the damn thing up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None any more
    Given that creative fiction is (inevitably) starting to emerge in this thread, I thought it may be timely to post this:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=suzuki+1250
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Given that creative fiction is (inevitably) starting to emerge in this thread, I thought it may be timely to post this:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=suzuki+1250
    Well given that its a bit odd that it only has 100hp stock and has a big steel frame it is not a bad bike. But struggling to justify the spend over our K4 1200 which has the same power and is 40ish kg lighter.

Can get a decent BKing for the same money.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I am a wee bit biased but every time I contemplate changing the bike I look at what I have in my TNAB and think...why would I?

I am not small so while the bike isn't a lightweight I do not find it difficult to manage at all. I keep it in a shed and have to pull it out over a ramp rather than ride out of a garage. Its not a problem.

Mileage is good, easily get 350kms out of it. I keep pushing the patience of the fuel gauge which starts flashing at a ridiculously early point. The most I have ever had to put in is 17l, this in a 19l tank. Easy 20kms per litre.

I think the weight is a combination of a bigger radiator, a second fan for said radiator, the fairing and supposedly heavier duty suspension. The fairing creates more downdraft than a naked so needs sturdier bits (not my story, tis the official line). There is also a substantial ABS unit, not sure how much that means weightwise.

For sure its "only" 100hp stock. A slip on and some tweaking with the secondary butterflies and the breather and you can release a few more. Even without that the 0-100 is supposed to be sub 4 seconds. Where in the real world do you actually need more? Its torquey, (search youtube for stump puller, the guy moves away in 4th gear).

Admittedly the suspension is the main weakness. Spend some $$ on upgrading that and you still have spent WAAAAAY less than the competition stock standard. Its comfy and you cant kill the engine. Not perfect or even remotely close to superlative but its a lot for the $$
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

I think the weight is a combination of a bigger radiator, a second fan for said radiator, the fairing and supposedly heavier duty suspension. The fairing creates more downdraft than a naked so needs sturdier bits (not my story, tis the official line). There is also a substantial ABS unit, not sure how much that means weightwise.
    ABS is standard on the normal 1250. Forks being "stronger" will just be a one rate up in spring and extra shim or two on the stack.

I just struggle to see paying that much for a 1250 with a 100hp. The motor is restricted. They seem easy to find 120hp out of but why buy a new bike then have to tune it?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    ABS is standard on the normal 1250. Forks being "stronger" will just be a one rate up in spring and extra shim or two on the stack.

I just struggle to see paying that much for a 1250 with a 100hp. The motor is restricted. They seem easy to find 120hp out of but why buy a new bike then have to tune it?
    Hmm, the story seemed a bit thin to me. I have had different springs put in anyway.

Yep, when there are 180hp demons out there you could be justified in feeling short changed. On the other side of the coin you could be looking at a 260+kg Harley with a 1200+ motor giving you 50 or 60 HP.

Some would see the ability to tweak and get a 20% improvement as a plus?

Then again I have a declared conflict of interest, I really like the bike, or at least my example of it.

Genuine question and not just directed at you, if a bike has the torque found in the GSX1250FA, has a top speed of 260ish kph and can do 0-100 in sub 4 seconds, what is the advantage of more HP?
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes

Can get a decent BKing for the same money.
    Now ya talking ! Should get 250kms before light comes on i reckon , its got a radial m/c and calipers so it pulls up reasonably well and has a better starting point suspension wise too . I managed 235kph indicated in 3rd so it go's ok

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Hmm, the story seemed a bit thin to me. I have had different springs put in anyway.

Yep, when there are 180hp demons out there you could be justified in feeling short changed. On the other side of the coin you could be looking at a 260+kg Harley with a 1200+ motor giving you 50 or 60 HP.

Some would see the ability to tweak and get a 20% improvement as a plus?

Then again I have a declared conflict of interest, I really like the bike, or at least my example of it.

Genuine question and not just directed at you, if a bike has the torque found in the GSX1250FA, has a top speed of 260ish kph and can do 0-100 in sub 4 seconds, what is the advantage of more HP?
    Because I may need to overtake a Gixxer 1k.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Thread Information