Thread: Suzuki recall Jan 2016 includes Gen 2 Busa

Bike
    DR650SE L4

Suzuki recall Jan 2016 includes Gen 2 Busa

Suzuki is recalling 68,344 motorcycles and scooters, affecting 11 different models from model years 2008 to 2012 because of a problem with their circuit boards that may prevent their batteries from charging properly. The recall supersedes a previous recall from 2011 that affected 73,426 motorcycles.

The new recall affects the following models:

2008-2012 Suzuki Burgman 400
    2008-2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    2008-2009 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S
    2008-2010 Suzuki GSX-R600
    2008-2010 Suzuki GSX-R750
    2008 Suzuki B-King GSX1300BK
    2008-2012 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2008-2010 Suzuki GSX650F
    2009-2010 Suzuki Gladius SFV650
    2008-2010 Suzuki Intruder VLR1800
    2009-2010 Suzuki M90 VZ1500

According to documents released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the regulator/rectifier power module circuit boards on the affected motorcycles may absorb moisture when stored in high humidity conditions. This can reduce the strength of the adhesive attaching the circuit boards to the aluminum cases. Heat generated by the circuit boards may cause them to deform and lift off the cases, increasing heat levels preventing sufficient charging current to the batteries.

Suzuki first received a report of a motorcycle from Indonesia failing to start because of a discharged battery in October 2010. In January 2011, Suzuki received the faulty motorcycle and found signs of deformation from heat in the rectifier. As further reports came in, Suzuki discovered the weakness in the adhesive but ruled it was caused by severe usage conditions such as maintaining a high engine speed.

In December 2011, Suzuki was able to duplicate the problem through exposure to a high humidity conditions. To compensate for this, Suzuki changed its manufacturing process by storing power modules in a humidity-controlled environment until needed for rectifier assembly.

The problem continued, however, and by November 2012, Suzuki began exploring other possible causes. In September 2015, Suzuki decided to re-evaluate the maximum temperature tolerance for the adhesive when exposed to high humidity conditions. By December, Suzuki was able to determine the maximum allowable temperature and found the rectifier on several motorcycles may exceed this limit.

Suzuki began the recall process on Jan. 9, 2016. By then, Suzuki had received more than 200 field reports including one from the U.S.

Suzuki dealers will replace the regulator/rectifier on affected motorcycles at no charge to the owners.

Noticed that ozzy peeps were getting the recall so I called the local Suzuki dealer ship and found mine is included in the recall, second time a charm - just waiting for the part then of to get it replaced.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Got mine done a couple of weeks back its second one, theres already someone in the states that had there new one crap out 15miles down the road

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    theres already someone in the states that had there new one crap out 15miles down the road
    And they would have jumped on the net & had a fat whinge within seconds of the event.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    He praised the dealer cause they came straight away picked up and fitted another.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Mr M Motorcycles in Puke did my Bandits one 3 weeks ago. No prob's before, and not expecting any form now on, Steve and the boys did a great job while I waited on a Thursday afternoon.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Anytime the word 'discharge' is used it is generally not good .........

Somewhere, some company who makes the offending part(s) is probably about to go out of business. Corresponding workers families will be in a crisis situation and possibly many separations, heart failures and even deaths will occur.

All. Because. YOU. Purchased a Suzuki.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Gotta say, pretty impressed by Suzuki. If my bike wouldn't start one morning, I wouldn't think twice about it. I'd get a bump start and carry on with my life.

They took it pretty seriously, what turns out is basically some tape coming undone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I still need to book mine in....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    bandit
    I got the letter - I've never had an issue - but the bike was in for servicing so they changed it .. free new parts from Mr Suzuki ?? I'll take that ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information