Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TL1000R handling problem

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftmonkey View Post
    Steering damper doesn't do anything, but as you guys have said the bike shouldn't be doing what it does anyway so I've ignored that.
    New tires, brake pads etc flew thru wof with no comments whatsoever, rear is really stiff, front is similar. Every time without fail if the front has any sort of lift it just goes haywire.. not a very encouraging bike to ride when it's like that haha.
    40psi rear 38psi front, sounds like the front wheel bearings are getting a tad noisy? When I'm leaning in a corner can hear them making a slight noise with the rotation of the front wheel..
    Tyre pressures are highish - particularly the front, most fronts in the 120 -17 are noted as 36 factory and often riders drop a few psi below that (personal preference)

If you can hear your front wheel bearings while cranked over you need to sort those suckers.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I believe getting chain tension correct is critical with the S model-too tight and the swing arm cant move! PB magazine had a comprehensive article on TL's a few years ago, including all the common fixes. I agree with HDC, the current PB have been running a great series of articles on bringing the TLR right up to date!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftmonkey View Post
    Steering damper doesn't do anything, but as you guys have said the bike shouldn't be doing what it does anyway so I've ignored that.
    New tires, brake pads etc flew thru wof with no comments whatsoever, rear is really stiff, front is similar. Every time without fail if the front has any sort of lift it just goes haywire.. not a very encouraging bike to ride when it's like that haha.
    40psi rear 38psi front, sounds like the front wheel bearings are getting a tad noisy? When I'm leaning in a corner can hear them making a slight noise with the rotation of the front wheel..
    If its the oem rear set up then it no doubt fucked,replaced the rubbish on the back of my S years ago as it was pretty much rock solid,fwiw i run 36 in the rear.Replace rear suspenders and swingarm bearings,as for steering damper it is there for a reason though replaced mine years ago with an adjustable one...TLs are not the only bike ever fitted with a steering damper.Ive owned my TL for a very long time and read much around the supposed terrible handling most of it bullshit,the things didnt win IBOTY back then for no reason,a test in Kiwi rider many many years saw a much respected journo comment "cant see what all the fuss is about ive had more head shake from a GSXR 750" which wasnt a bad handling bike.A few poms planted themselves in hedges and the rest is history.Fwiw a pretty cheap option and a great upgrade is to replace the front end with a later model GSXR set up,bonus is the radial calipers,pic of mine from years back.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Thread Information