Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned the hard way

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    The tides out riding around a harbour - just because you went out in one bay and did 3rd gear donuts in the sand, doesn't mean that the next bay around is sand...it could be thick black stinking mud that sucks your bike down to the axles. So don't come off the bank wide open in 3rd gear....
    And that 30cm difference between an average low tide and the lowest tide can suddenly matter a hell of a lot....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If you ride down a steep hill, make sure that either

A) It comes out somewhere.

or

B) You are able to ride back up.
    +1 on that. Going down the clay was no problem... going up an entirely different story which included picking it up, and a lot of sweat/swearing trying to get going on the slippery clay mid hill.

Take a friend(s) for the gnarly explorations... more hands make the job of getting bikes up/out easier when things go pear shaped

If you have to push start a motorcycle, try really hard to get it done before you run out of hill... or you're pushing it up one to try again...

If you're parking down hill, make sure the bike is locked into first gear, otherwise that little bit of movement will be enough to help the side stand fold up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Don't use your centrestand on a soft, steep uphill, skinny trail.

Its almost impossible to get the bike back off the centre stand, and you can't tip it over one way as the bike will tumble down the bank, and the other way there is no room to tip it over. Digging is the only option.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    If you use a disc lock get one of those pretty coloured curly string things, hook it from the lock to the seat, that way you'll not forget it's there and try to reverse, get stuck half out of the garage and 'almost' have to call the wife to help. Doh.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Don't assume that the bike ran out of petrol when you're on reserve just because the engine stops...

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    If when removing a wheel (rear) you have to spread your calipers to clear the discs,make sure you remember to pump them up again,especially on the rear and especially if the first part of the ride is downhill gravel with a hairpin bend and escape route is a 30 foot drop.

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor

oops, another lesson learned yesterday,

Dont assume that if you see apples laying on the road under an old apple tree, that kicking them at 100kph would be a good idea.
    Now limping with blackening toe-nail......
    I really need to grow up.
    Helmet time is the best kind of time.

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz67 View Post
    Dont assume that if you see apples laying on the road under an old apple tree, that kicking them at 100kph would be a good idea.
    Now limping with blackening toe-nail......
    I really need to grow up.
    Gumboots??

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Don't assume that all road markers are the thin flexible sort and that it will be okay to hit them with your handgaurds. Some are solid and embedded in concrete

BTW my record is 7 handgaurd strikes on the Maruia saddle, if anyone is up for a challenge.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Gumboots??
    Well, yes,, but they were steelcapped!
    Helmet time is the best kind of time.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Double check that you have located the clip under the front of the seat into the bracket on the tank correctly. It's surprising standing up for a wee jump and the seat comes with you. It's surprising when the seat moves into a corner with you, too. I'm onto it now..

Secure the rear of your bike to the trailer if you intend doing an emergency stop on the way home. Alternatively, strap a mattress to the back window of your car.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Secure the rear of your bike to the trailer if you intend doing an emergency stop on the way home. Alternatively, strap a mattress to the back window of your car.
    Oh yeah... never tie down / transport a bike on a trailer on a paddock stand...

Or do it once, it will fall over in a corner and you'll never do it again... sheesh, thinking back to the first transport of a bike vs now... thankfully come a wee way
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Leaving the IT400 on the sidestand, idling because it was hard to start, next to an electric fence while checking out the best way up a hill. Lot of assumptions were made, eg, it would stay on the stand, the fence wasn't connected, etc. It didn't and it was - watching me getting the bike untangled from the fence was very entertaining for the onlookers.

In all the years I owned that bike that was probably the only time it idled more than a minute or two.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

Don't leave your favourite merino sweatshirt on the seat

I don't know how I didn't see it, or feel it, , but once on the motorway, I felt the rear wheel grab for a sec and starting making bad vibe. Pulled over yo check and shocked to see my favourite macpac hoodie shredded through sprocket, chain, muffler etc. Lucky it didn't lock wheel up...so annoyed
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Mufflers. Mitten melters. Don't try and pull your bike out of a snow drift by the muffler. I rode home after just such a scenario with my right glove plastic welded to the silencer. What a cock, nearly lost me hand to frost bite.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information