Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC/Pro Rider Silver course

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    I did the Silver one with instructor Andrew Templeton. It was the 8 hour weekend option. Some others at work took his 2 x 4 hour sessions.

I learned that they didn't do the emergency braking component which I thought was invaluable. I would recommend the weekend option over the split because of this.

There are very few opportunities on the road to find the limits of your stopping power.

The course was great and I'll definitely repeat the silver before considering Gold as there were many things I had either forgotten or wasn't aware of since returning to MCs.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    have done the gold course and the same course before it was called gold course, well worth the coin but i still won't wear hi vis and don't believe it has any benefit at all.
    as has already been said, these courses are only effective if people attend them and what i found and why i did them was because i had become lazy and entrenched some bad habits. even though i knew i had bad habits and knew what most of them were it was still hard being critiqued on my riding on the first course i did.
    Has it made a difference to how you ride, for the better?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    have done the gold course and the same course before it was called gold course, well worth the coin but i still won't wear hi vis and don't believe it has any benefit at all.
    as has already been said, these courses are only effective if people attend them and what i found and why i did them was because i had become lazy and entrenched some bad habits. even though i knew i had bad habits and knew what most of them were it was still hard being critiqued on my riding on the first course i did.
    There is some research gaining credence that an effect known as motion camouflage may also come into play in "sorry mate, I didn't see you" situations. Interesting article on the subject here http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...&pageId=146841.

Apologies if it is a repost.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldH View Post
    There is some research gaining credence that an effect known as motion camouflage may also come into play in "sorry mate, I didn't see you" situations. Interesting article on the subject here http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...&pageId=146841.

Apologies if it is a repost.
    well aware of that and if you watch different vids on it those wearing the green/yellow hi vis actually blend in to the background more, best way to avoid this is to swerve in your lane to break away from the background.
    another issue i also have with hi vis. every man and his dog is wearing hi vis now so becoming common and non distinguishable

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Has it made a difference to how you ride, for the better?
    yeah it has, it forced me to concentrate on my riding and road positioning again as i used to and to use my gears more, in the last gold course i did i actually had the instructor telling me to tap the brake pedal just to warn those following i was slowing. it brought me back to a way i used to ride and getting more enjoyment out of it as well.
    very easy to drop in to bad habits

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    yeah it has, it forced me to concentrate on my riding and road positioning again as i used to and to use my gears more, in the last gold course i did i actually had the instructor telling me to tap the brake pedal just to warn those following i was slowing. it brought me back to a way i used to ride and getting more enjoyment out of it as well.
    very easy to drop in to bad habits
    Cool. Same with me. Observations from the instructor pointing out things I was unaware of.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    All sounds good as I have booked into a silver course in a weeks time. I have noticed hi vis wearing riders "appear" to be more noticeable around town.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse1 View Post
    All sounds good as I have booked into a silver course in a weeks time. I have noticed hi vis wearing riders "appear" to be more noticeable around town.
    $50 a pop, it's the bargain of the century.

That hi viz / cross dressing thing works better on some bikes than others IMHO.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm running another Ride Forever Course in Christchurch tomorrow. Bronze this time.

It appears that all 4 parities enrolled are progressing their licences through CBTA, so it looks like the discounted time on CBTA is coercing people onto courses.

I don't care. The courses are great, regardless of your motivation for being on them.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse1 View Post
    I have noticed hi vis wearing riders "appear" to be more noticeable around town.
    That's likely because you're looking for it. If someone doesn't look they won't see you, hi-vis or not.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    That's likely because you're looking for it. If someone doesn't look they won't see you, hi-vis or not.
    Good Point and agreed but it may help the people who just offer a casual glance as they are brighter than some bikes pathetic headlights. Now we are into smaller and smaller percentages of perceived benefit.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Funny thing about hi viz, which I support in concept.

If you are following a rider in hi viz through corners it's easy to fixate on that person. Instead of looking through the corner.

Just something to guard from.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Funny thing about hi viz, which I support in concept.

If you are following a rider in hi viz through corners it's easy to fixate on that person. Instead of looking through the corner.

Just something to guard from.
    Yup, I've noticed the same, keeps drawing the eye. Those fluoro wheel tapes do the same, bloody hypnotic.

As mentioned above, I think if you ride bikes you tend to look for them regardless and hi viz, obviously, stands out. But I would bet that you would spot them anyway. A riders head poking up above traffic gets my attention. Different mind set.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

bronze/silver

I've been thinking about going to one of these courses, I think they have them in Porirua. I know it's discounted but what is covered that you couldn't learn from normal riding tuition + some research?

Bike
    2008 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    I've been thinking about going to one of these courses, I think they have them in Porirua. I know it's discounted but what is covered that you couldn't learn from normal riding tuition + some research?
    That you truly couldn't learn? nothing. That you probably won't learn without an expensive lesson, heaps.
    It's just a fuckton easier to learn with someone watching and pointing out the areas you need to work on.
    Also, much faster to learn. Well and truly worth the cash.

This thread reminds me I should really make a day and book the silver myself.
    Did the bronze when it first came out.
    To be free is to accept the consequences of your acttions
    None so blind as will not see.

Thread Information