Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC/Pro Rider Silver course

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    I've been thinking about going to one of these courses, I think they have them in Porirua. I know it's discounted but what is covered that you couldn't learn from normal riding tuition + some research?
    You probably saw the j'ville one in the Porirua railway station carpark since that is where the emergency braking and maneuvering is taken. Surely the value beyond just doing self training is it stops you from subconciously avoiding the topics you struggle with. You also get to see others struggle as well which makes you assess youself again.

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    I've long since retired as a motorcycle riding instructor - going on an approved training course is unlikely to do any harm. The main advantages are that an instructor (and yes, some are better than others) will be focusing on YOUR riding for at least part of the course and because of this can spot things (habits, traits or whatever) that a rider may not even be aware that they are doing. And can ask "why are you doing that?" or "have you thought about trying this instead of what you are currently doing?".

A good instructor will be trying to work on the skills level of every student - not necessarily by saying you MUST do this or that but by making suggestions that will assist the rider to improve.

I've been riding for quite a while, done a few more kilometres than many and instructed for a number of years. Last year I organised a Gold course for myself and three friends in Whangarei. Which was the first proper course that I had attended as a STUDENT since 1984.
    I wanted an instructor to have a look at what I was doing on the motorcycle and to, if appropriate, ask "why on earth are you doing that?". My objective was achieved and a couple of small refinements added, a day of good riding on entertaining roads and a bargain with the ACC subsidy.

I certainly don't know it all and am happy to receive suggestions that make me think more about what I do on a motorcycle. And it was great to be a pupil rather than the one in charge of the course.

If training doesn't work then why do we have kindergartens, primary schools, secondary schools and tertiary institutions? Think how much money we could save if we shut all of these places down!

Good motorcycle riding training can make your riding much more pleasurable and may even save you from an accident. But no improvement or saving will ever be possible if the rider doesn't ever want to learn or improve.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    I've been thinking about going to one of these courses, I think they have them in Porirua. I know it's discounted but what is covered that you couldn't learn from normal riding tuition + some research?
    how to apply for a payment card at WINZ perhaps?

Bike
    MT-10
    Did the bronze and enjoyed it. Silver not so much. Instructor not so good.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'm running another Ride Forever Course in Christchurch tomorrow. Bronze this time.

It appears that all 4 parities enrolled are progressing their licences through CBTA, so it looks like the discounted time on CBTA is coercing people onto courses.

I don't care. The courses are great, regardless of your motivation for being on them.
    first course i did was with Dan, i left that course with a lot to think about and start working on.
    i did both courses on the ZZR and on the last course i did there was a lady on a ZZR and after the course every thing she was saying about having trouble with is exactly what i was saying after the first one i did.
    just gotta use the gears more and stop being lazy.
    must say i no longer hug the centre line when apexing the corner.
    made me think about the stuff i already knew but was ignoring.

keep it up

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Bronze Silver Gold

These courses are a bit of a mystery to be honest, what is the course outline, what is covered in each course that makes one bronze and one silver? Is there anything particularly special about what they cover?

If I wanted to work on a technique, how do I know it will be covered in a course? If this wasn't subsidised I wouldn't pay the full price if I don't know in advance exactly what I'm getting out of it. At least with a paid tuition session I can specify what I want to work on and get one on one attention.

Bike
    These courses are a bit of a mystery to be honest, what is the course outline, what is covered in each course that makes one bronze and one silver? Is there anything particularly special about what they cover?

If I wanted to work on a technique, how do I know it will be covered in a course? If this wasn't subsidised I wouldn't pay the full price if I don't know in advance exactly what I'm getting out of it. At least with a paid tuition session I can specify what I want to work on and get one on one attention.
    you can tell them what it is you feel you need help with on the gold course, unsure about the bronze and silver tho.
    $50.00 for eight hours tuition is dirt cheap and if you don't get something out of it then you probably went in with the wrong attitude, if you believe you know everything there is to know about motorcycling on the road then you will get nothing out of it.
    sometimes it is good to do these types of courses just to get you thinking about what you already know, and who knows, ya might even just learn something new

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    you can tell them what it is you feel you need help with on the gold course, unsure about the bronze and silver tho.
    $50.00 for eight hours tuition is dirt cheap and if you don't get something out of it then you probably went in with the wrong attitude, if you believe you know everything there is to know about motorcycling on the road then you will get nothing out of it.
    sometimes it is good to do these types of courses just to get you thinking about what you already know, and who knows, ya might even just learn something new
    The Bronze Course is structured toward the things needed to pass the CBTA 6R practical test. It covers other stuff too, but it's structured that way.

The Silver Course is structured toward the things needed to pass the CBTA 6F practical test. It covers other stuff too, but it's structured that way.

The Gold course tends to be structured around the needs of those who turn up on the day. It has no direct link to the CBTA system.

In general, courses cover cornering, braking, protective gear, pre ride checks, awareness, anticipation, lots of the soft skills that make riding both safer and more enjoyable.

If you get a good instructor it makes all the difference. Some people are shit-hot riders but poor instructors. I'm personally a very good instructor, but an average rider. I'm not the guy to teach you about lean angle on off camber corners at 180 kmh. I'm more your Road Craft kind of guy. It's like that with instructors, each of us has different backgrounds, so different focuses.

Sorry to be so factual. It's dull. But factual.

Donuts.

Bike
    Donuts.
    yes please, with fresh cream and strawberry jam

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    yes please, with fresh cream and strawberry jam
    Heh. I did my Gold course with a man of the cloth, blue. One of our party could not resist donut jokes. Didn't go down that well.

Can't be bothered scrolling back but the person asking for course details and comparisons, I suggest you get in touch with pro rider. Very helpful folk.
    Non of the courses I have attended have had more than 4 riders so lots of scope to focus on each rider. IIRC we were asked to list 3 things we individually wanted to focus on when we planned the gold course. On the day our instructor addressed our requests in a class room environment, one on one, and continued to do so for the rest of the day on the road. The instructor is a full time popo, sacrificed his Sunday off to look after us numptys and had done his homework. Exceptional training IMHO.

Something else that cropped up during our riding was the odd stop to highlight information left on the road. I thought my road craft was pretty good but our instructor pointed out stuff like the shading of white lines on corners which indicated people frequently crossing the centre line and some other gems. Most impressed I was. And knackered, it was a big day.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Heh. I did my Gold course with a man of the cloth, blue. One of our party could not resist donut jokes. Didn't go down that well.

Can't be bothered scrolling back but the person asking for course details and comparisons, I suggest you get in touch with pro rider. Very helpful folk.
    Non of the courses I have attended have had more than 4 riders so lots of scope to focus on each rider. IIRC we were asked to list 3 things we individually wanted to focus on when we planned the gold course. On the day our instructor addressed our requests in a class room environment, one on one, and continued to do so for the rest of the day on the road. The instructor is a full time popo, sacrificed his Sunday off to look after us numptys and had done his homework. Exceptional training IMHO.

Something else that cropped up during our riding was the odd stop to highlight information left on the road. I thought my road craft was pretty good but our instructor pointed out stuff like the shading of white lines on corners which indicated people frequently crossing the centre line and some other gems. Most impressed I was. And knackered, it was a big day.
    Laugh. He sacrificed his Sunday. Nah, he got paid to do it.

Was it Greg Thomas? He was the best instructor Police ever had. Trials background, and an amazing ability to deliver information.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Laugh. He sacrificed his Sunday. Nah, he got paid to do it.

Was it Greg Thomas? He was the best instructor Police ever had. Trials background, and an amazing ability to deliver information.
    Ha, yeah, I know he got paid but still, a sacrifice IMHO. He could have been out hooning with his mates. To be fair it turned into a brisk afternoon.

Chaps name is Lance and he totally reinforced my respect for professional riders and teachers. Surname escapes me, sorry.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Ha, yeah, I know he got paid but still, a sacrifice IMHO. He could have been out hooning with his mates. To be fair it turned into a brisk afternoon.

Chaps name is Lance and he totally reinforced my respect for professional riders and teachers. Surname escapes me, sorry.
    Lance Goulsbro. He was my Sergeant on the North Shore Traffic Unit back in the day.

Good bugger.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Lance Goulsbro. He was my Sergeant on the North Shore Traffic Unit back in the day.

Good bugger.
    That rings a bell. Spends a lot of time in a burnt orange hot rod nowadays, I believe
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold

Good bugger.
    Sure is - great guy. He's also the IAM Northland Examiner.

Thread Information