Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D printed bike mods

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    that is fantastic.

what sort out outlay is required to be able to make that kind of stuff?

I had wondered what the limitations were with 3d printing parts for spaces like engine bays etc where they might be subjected to heat etc
    Something I've been hearing is that people are printing obscure parts in 3D as part of the classic restoration scene... not as parts for use directly, as masters for foundry casting. You can print in relatively light plastic, then treat it as a disposable burn-out core. Greensand casting in aluminium etc. So the 3D printing is a way of getting new bits in cast metal for very old vehicles.

Bike
    Bandit
    Loving this, mind blowing work mate

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Something I've been hearing is that people are printing obscure parts in 3D as part of the classic restoration scene... not as parts for use directly, as masters for foundry casting. You can print in relatively light plastic, then treat it as a disposable burn-out core. Greensand casting in aluminium etc. So the 3D printing is a way of getting new bits in cast metal for very old vehicles.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...Bucket-Foundry
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1974 Honda XL350

3D printer to make a side cover

Hi i am presently restoring a 1974 Honda XL350 (Silver/ Blue model) out of the spare parts that I have. I require a Left hand side cover (as sitting on the bike) that fits over the battery side. Nothing on ebay or the worlds as it seems!!!!
    Stumbled over this site by a Google search and mind picked up as to the use of a 3D printer for one or two.

Can you make up a blank side cover. Its just matt black in colour and has two supporting slots at the top.Held on by a rubber strap at the bottom, hence they were often 'lost" and are now like rockin horse shit to find.
    I can have painted up and can source new decals on ebay but need the side cover.

Please advise???

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceXL350 View Post
    Hi i am presently restoring a 1974 Honda XL350 (Silver/ Blue model) out of the spare parts that I have. I require a Left hand side cover (as sitting on the bike) that fits over the battery side. Nothing on ebay or the worlds as it seems!!!!
    Stumbled over this site by a Google search and mind picked up as to the use of a 3D printer for one or two.

Can you make up a blank side cover. Its just matt black in colour and has two supporting slots at the top.Held on by a rubber strap at the bottom, hence they were often 'lost" and are now like rockin horse shit to find.
    I can have painted up and can source new decals on ebay but need the side cover.

Please advise???
    Best advise is you should post up some pictures, to help me remember the two I once had...

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300

Nice Work

Nice work Goosifer,

Here's my tomfoolery I've been mucking around with over the last 12 months. Some of it has now been on the bike for 80 hours riding time. The starter shield is showing some sign of delaminating but they're just hairline cracks in the styrene that has floated to the surface and shined up in the acetone vapour polish process. A simple revapour in acetone smooths it over again. The startershield is holding up well given that it is taking a bit of a pounding from many offs, rocks thrown at me and is simply held on by 2 zipties. The twinair foam filter cage, being near fuel fumes, hasn't shown signs of breaking down yet, however in my mind it is a cheap disposable item and a new one can quickly and easily be printed out. The benefits of the modified design far outweigh the possibility of having to print off a new one. I can quickly swap out the filter in the pits and the performance boost from the quick change is noticeable. Just last week I trialed a new filter cage designed for a GS125 foam sock, they're 1/10th the price of the unique Freeride Twinair and the bike was ridden over 80km in woodhill forest on the Jolly Roosta. Suffice to say I'm happy with the performance result.

Bike
    ZX6R, KLR, VL250, Tiger800
    Great stuff!

Looks as if the starter shield is holding up rather well, much better than I would have expected. What wall thickness and infill % are you printing at?

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosifer View Post
    Great stuff!

Looks as if the starter shield is holding up rather well, much better than I would have expected. What wall thickness and infill % are you printing at?
    Cheers man,

I fast printed the starter shield with a 2mm wall thickness, 75% infill @ 0.2 Z resolution. It took around 5 hours to print with those settings. So plenty of scope to play with. (My printer can print down to 0.1 Z resolution.) It was intended as a test but has held up really well. I'm pretty much satisfied with the ziptie held u-bracket in the design. It's had plenty of knocks and hasn't twisted around the frame using just 2 zips, my next design has a tab to secure another ziptie to the Hyde at the bottom but I haven't tried it as this shield hasn't broken yet. I contoured the shield to wrap across the top lip of the Hyde sump guard so there is a lot of bracing from that too.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure

Thread Information