Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody on Conti Motions?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Ran a set of Road Attack 2's on my Hornet. Very nice tyres - on the sticky side or sport-touring (PR2-3 will outlast but Conti sticks better IMO). Only negative is at the arse end of the rear it squared off more than any other tyre I ran on the Honda. I understand there is a Road Attack 3 out now.

I ran sport attacks prior to the RA2's - SA has a more aggressive front profile but I did not notice any drop in stick with the RA2 and life was extended significantly.

Conti don't do dual compound but they cure the rubber at different rates between the centre and sides in production resulting in a firmer centre and soft edges. You don't visually see the transition line like dual compound tyres. Interesting variation on technology.

Also I've had success with a sport front and sport-touring rear set up - both tyres from the same maker - ie sport attack front, road attack rear. They will wear as a pair.

And of course tyres are bike and rider specific!

Bike
    2008 GSXR 750
    I've got a pair of conti road attack 2 evo's on the GSXR currently, just done a bit over 2k km on them so far.
    I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Stick really well in the dry, and don't turn to shit in the wet.
    road attack 2 evo is the replacement for the road attack 2, just released end of last year.
    To be free is to accept the consequences of your acttions
    None so blind as will not see.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There hasn't been a bulk test in a while that I have seen but Continental are not first rate tyres. Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzler, Dunlop & Pirelli all produce top rated tyres. Continental are not quite in that class but that's not to say they may not suit what you want from a tyre.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There hasn't been a bulk test in a while that I have seen but Continental are not first rate tyres. Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzler, Dunlop & Pirelli all produce top rated tyres. Continental are not quite in that class but that's not to say they may not suit what you want from a tyre.
    Have Metzlers on my Bandit. Horrid dead things. Wont buy another set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Have you thought of Bridgestone.

I have run Michelin for years, but the new scooter came with Bridgestone S20. and I am very impressed. The up side is the new Bridgestone S21 is rated better.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Hmmmm I have read many a bulk top sports tyre test over the years. They tend to be the ultra sports tyres designed for track/street use. They all come down to the same as any tyre review on KB - bike and rider suitability and personal preference.

To the point where the magazine reviews are almost worthless. When did they ever say - OK if you find them on sale .......

The first generation Pirelli angel reviewed well in magazines. Did not review well in the wet on public forums. I'm backing he public as the tyre was updated to the GT very quickly.

Plus the mags rely on advertising money ...... shit relatively recently one UK mag is very pro Skinko - they give them lots of tyres to use on their bikes and multi bike tests as control tyres. Never ridden on one but they were rating them. Me ..... nah

Tyre prejudice - it's a issue in New Zealand.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by boman View Post
    Have you thought of Bridgestone.

I have run Michelin for years, but the new scooter came with Bridgestone S20. and I am very impressed. The up side is the new Bridgestone S21 is rated better.
    Ive recently gone through a pair of Bridgestone BT016s which I liked. But want something good in the wet as we are heading into winter.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Hmmmm I have read many a bulk top sports tyre test over the years. They tend to be the ultra sports tyres designed for track/street use. They all come down to the same as any tyre review on KB - bike and rider suitability and personal preference.

To the point where the magazine reviews are almost worthless. When did they ever say - OK if you find them on sale .......

The first generation Pirelli angel reviewed well in magazines. Did not review well in the wet on public forums. I'm backing he public as the tyre was updated to the GT very quickly.

Plus the mags rely on advertising money ...... shit relatively recently one UK mag is very pro Skinko - they give them lots of tyres to use on their bikes and multi bike tests as control tyres. Never ridden on one but they were rating them. Me ..... nah

Agreed, I dont trust magazines for reviews on anything.

Bike
    A Red German one.

Many of the car tyre tests were done with a one off tyre made by the parent company (Dunlop, Goodyear Continental...etc.) They were not even close to what the public could buy. These were done because in certain places the tyre test had a lot of merit and influence on the buying public.

I can only assume that motorcycle tyre tests are done the same.

I too would go with a seat of the pants test.

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ive recently gone through a pair of Bridgestone BT016s which I liked. But want something good in the wet as we are heading into winter.
    I am very happy with the S20 Bridgestone's in the wet. But then the bike has a lot of rider aids to assist the tyre too.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm I have read many a bulk top sports tyre test over the years. They tend to be the ultra sports tyres designed for track/street use.

The BIKE magazine tests I posted links to a few years back did test sports tyres as you suggest, and there was a subsequent separate test for sport/touring tyres which was the one I was particularly interested in.

They used two bikes, two riders, and a team of tyre fitters. The tyres were tested "blind", the riders did not know what they were testing until after they had marked them, it was about as fair a test as you are likely to get. It must have been a lot of work though, so such tests will probably be rare.

Tyre prejudice is real. I threw a set of Bridgestones away because they were dangerous in the wet. Bridgestones get some good reports but I won't buy them again, I'll stick with brands that have not let me down. Call me prejudiced.

Someone else commented on Pirelli Angels. Mine were fine in the wet. The GT variant didn't replace the Angel, it's a different tyre for heavier bikes. The current Pirelli recommendation for the S4R I had is still Angel, not Angel GT.

If I'm feeling adventurous next time it's time to buy tyres I might try PR4s, or whatever number they are up to by then. Haven't had Michelins since the 70s.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries

I've just gone back to Shinkos yet again after CC road attacks 1 and 2, mich pilots. RR 2's drifted out a bit too much after a bit of wear. Never tried Bridgestone's. Find after one-third wear Shinkos hold up better, I'm not a scratcher anymore though.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
    mich pilots. RR 2's drifted out a bit too much after a bit of wear.
    My PR4s are about 90% done and still grip like nothing else I've tried, both wet and dry. These are the first tyre I've ever lost the chicken strips on (without even trying).

I'll need another rear in a month or two and my mechanic wants me to try a Pirelli Angel GT. I'm told similar life to the PR4s, if not longer, with almost as good wet grip (should be enough). And the stiffer side wall is supposed to give a better feel even on lighter bikes than they are primarily aimed at.

I put the PR4s on because of massive tar bleed on my daily commute. Be interesting to see how the GTs handle it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    My PR4s are about 90% done and still grip like nothing else I've tried, both wet and dry. These are the first tyre I've ever lost the chicken strips on (without even trying).
    Ah - se I'd just spoon another PR4 on if I were you - you are very pleased with the tyre, it's their current model and unless your guy is getting the Angel super cheap for you ........

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by boman View Post
    I am very happy with the S20 Bridgestone's in the wet. But then the bike has a lot of rider aids to assist the tyre too.
    I guess its what the rider is comfortable with and how they suit the suspension setup etc. Your bike just has a smidge my HP than mine which will be a big factor.

My Favorite on the bike has been the BT016s. But will give some conti's a go.

Thread Information