Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Low volume vehicle certification

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Limp wrists huh?- not strong enough to get enough pressure to lock the brakes...
    I assumed it was harley stoppers.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborist View Post
    Yep, cheers Blackbird, I don't seem to have the privilege of making PM's as I'm new.

As an aside to those knowledgeable folks who seem to think that years of experience and knowledge doesn't count for anything, you will also undoubtedly know that anyone seriously involved in road racing is very focused on safety, I'm no exception, pedantic and obsessed with detail. Therefore, I admit I struggle with having to take a lot of trouble to get someone of possibly lesser expertise to rubber stamp my work......... though this is the kiwi way and how many people make a living in NZ....... I await the vociferous replies
    Why don't you get certified to be the certifier?
    Then you can make all the changes you want without per review.

Bonus: bound to be able to help out others in similar predicaments as a side business.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Yamaha FJ1200
    Big Dog, I like the way you're going with this, yep I shall look further into this as perhaps my next career move....... Oh, no, just realised, I may have too much common sense!

Well, best I can say is thanks to everyone for a fascinating debate and a great start for me on this forum.

Bike
    CB1300
    And that right there is why it cost so much and is so troublesome to get an LVV cert for your changes.
    Most people with the skills and knowledge would rather be doing other things.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    "I was just following orders", didn't work at Nuremburg and it doesn't wash now.

The people who work at the department in charge of all this must have some mechanical knowledge - but they won't be the best mechanics around. Just as the best builders do not become building inspectors, and the lawyers and accountants who work for the Government tend to be those who couldn't get a job anywhere else.

The people who receive suspect pronouncements from on high need to question them. If they just nod along the idiocy continues and and you're all tarred with the same brush. And deservedly so.

This isn't personal, it's just that the industry is not a shining example of how things should be, although the OP will probably be starting to get the idea.
    Oh fuckin please, so gassing people to death & saving them from their own ignorance is one & the same now according to you? How does that arguing with an idiot saying go again?
    Don't think we just go along blindly. I've brought to their attention that the most asymmetric vehicle on the road (a sidecar) isint allowed to run asymmetric tyres. Just chucked in there because someone wanted to throw their weight around & not for any logical reason.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Why don't you get certified to be the certifier?
    Then you can make all the changes you want without per review.

Bonus: bound to be able to help out others in similar predicaments as a side business.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Yeah, he could end up like this fuckwit & attempt to drag the whole industry in to disrepute with him.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/7657...icted-mechanic
    I can assure you it most certainly isint "an industry wide problem"

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    OK six pages on and no one has mentioned the blue spots. You can't change those without theoretically getting it certified.

I've seen some truly ropey brake caliper mounts people have thought suitable to bring to the racetrack. You can imagine what people show up with on roadbikes. Or cars with the shocks disabled, springs all but removed.

So when I put bluespots on my YZF SP it was rare enough an period close enough that most inspectors didn't notice. I will tell you to replace the master cylinder too. They should match to a 14mm. They feel real firm on the 5/8 I bet was std, but won't work half as well.

My 500 into 250 2 stroke required Lvv and was a drag but made sense to do.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Youre a fuckin idiot with a chip on your shoulder, you should stick to that.
    Apparently according to your stoner logic we should all be able to drive vehicles in whatever the fuck state we choose, while sharing the road with others.
    What a fuckin dickhead.
    You forgot about then selling it to some poor unsuspecting sap.

Must admit though some of those WOF inspectors need to open eyes. Some can't find a certified nameplate when it's right in front of them.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yeah, he could end up like this fuckwit & attempt to drag the whole industry in to disrepute with him.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/7657...icted-mechanic
    I can assure you it most certainly isint "an industry wide problem"
    I think a vigorous testing program is a good thing.

I just don't get why of there are so many people who think they have all the requisite experience and knowledge but so few people who do the work.

I know I get important changes peer reviewed all the time. I don't always like the process. I don't always get the outcome I wanted.
    I also don't make changes that could result in human casualties.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    You forgot about then selling it to some poor unsuspecting sap.

Must admit though some of those WOF inspectors need to open eyes. Some can't find a certified nameplate when it's right in front of them.
    Egg Zachary.
    Even if you are happy with the level of risk, the next owner deserves to know that your change has been independently reviewed and found safe.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Egg Zachary.
    Even if you are happy with the level of risk, the next owner deserves to know that your change has been independently reviewed and found safe.

Sent via tapatalk.
    That's a fair point. I'd made myself some rearset peg spacers for my Hornet and ran them for years. I took them off when trading it as I had no idea who would buy it and how they would use it. Absolutely confident of the work I did but I was not prepared to have some 130kg dude doing stand up wheelies on it ........
    Another part never commented on at WOF time :-)

Bike
    Yamaha FJ1200
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    OK six pages on and no one has mentioned the blue spots. You can't change those without theoretically getting it certified.

I've seen some truly ropey brake caliper mounts people have thought suitable to bring to the racetrack. You can imagine what people show up with on roadbikes. Or cars with the shocks disabled, springs all but removed.

So when I put bluespots on my YZF SP it was rare enough an period close enough that most inspectors didn't notice. I will tell you to replace the master cylinder too. They should match to a 14mm. They feel real firm on the 5/8 I bet was std, but won't work half as well.

My 500 into 250 2 stroke required Lvv and was a drag but made sense to do.
    Hi FB Dave. The blue spots bolt straight onto the standard FJ forks, a direct replacement, no real need to be checked for 700 dollars. Also, of course I have matched these callipers up with a new master cylinder and braided lines. This is basic stuff that should easily be assessed at the WOF.

Thread Information