Thread: Miller generator servicing, prefer Christchurch but where else?

Bike
    suzuki

Miller generator servicing, prefer Christchurch but where else?

hey folks
    an ole mate down chch has a miller on his "Vincent that doesn't give out much boogie, is there someone local that is good with them? he's pulled it down and cleaned things already so it's a bit least simple than a clean up.
    if not ChCh where else folks?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    hey folks
    an ole mate down chch has a miller on his "Vincent that doesn't give out much boogie, is there someone local that is good with them? he's pulled it down and cleaned things already so it's a bit least simple than a clean up.
    Why not just buy one of the Frenchie alternators that look the same only work better for longer.
    They were called a Altron or something like that.
    http://www.hawkshawmotorcycles.com/alternatorpics.html
    the go to guy was years ago was I think banks (john?) is likely dead. there was another place that is now gone as well that used to be down by the sales yards sort of behind Norjos
    Ask this guy he lives in CHCHish.
    this should work
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Yeah, with the number which have changed hands since it could well be impossible.
    If that fails or he wants to keep it original there is a guy I know that is old fashioned semi retired autosparky that did his time on this sort of stuff and has old Ariels.
    I could ask him
    Last edited by husaberg; 1st May 2016 at 21:16. Reason: googled and found them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    He did ask me, i didn't have a name. Until recently, my first point of asking would have been Ray Shearman.

Did he come up with an answer Spyda ? If so, do you know where he went ?

Bike
    husaberg
    He did ask me, i didn't have a name. Until recently, my first point of asking would have been Ray Shearman.

I am picking no one has Rays new number then? I bet its a collect call.
    Who was the guy I was thinking of Greg ....Banks?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R

If it'd been 10yrs ago Ray would've said Ron Battersby Rons been gone awhile now.
    Otherwise there's a bloke up Blenheim area that may be worth contacting; got his details at work....i'll dig them up tomorrow.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I am picking no one has Rays new number then? I bet its a collect call.
    Who was the guy I was thinking of Greg ....Banks?
    I think you're getting mixed up with Tommy's shop manager for years, Jack Banks. He walked away and wouldn't even do manxes when asked - and he was VERY good on them.

Ron Battersby, Ha, off Stanmore Rd and the pile of mag and generator bits on the garage floor....brings back memories. He built a magdyno for a Goldie for me which had a competition mag on the bottom. Lucas never did that....

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    PM'd contact

Ron Battersby, Ha, off Stanmore Rd and the pile of mag and generator bits on the garage floor....brings back memories. He built a magdyno for a Goldie for me which had a competition mag on the bottom. Lucas never did that....
    Would love to know how many miles the old speedtwin clocked up while he had it
    He did his best work from home
    Loved the garage as a kid....the old Henderson, square head GP Triumph and other assorted toys, even a rescued Thunderbird that'd been used as a staff hack in a coal mine on the coast

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Would love to know how many miles the old speedtwin clocked up while he had it
    He did his best work from home
    Loved the garage as a kid....the old Henderson, square head GP Triumph and other assorted toys, even a rescued Thunderbird that'd been used as a staff hack in a coal mine on the coast
    I did a 6T motor for my brother and the first time he took it out on a Triumph section VCC run, of course there's a series of roll-on's...One against Ron on the GP...The 6T blew everything there away up to about 70mph. Ron was reportedly pissed off.
    Comes the lunch stop and the inevitable penny drops - did your bloody brother build that ? Assuming he had built it, they'd been taking bets how long it would last.
    It was 680cc, big valves, late Bonny cams, yank alloy rods, big single carb...bloody good up to about 70 - 80 mph after which it got seriously short of breath, LOL...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Why not just buy one of the Frenchie alternators that look the same only work better for longer.
    They were called a Altron or something like that.

i put an alton on my vincent but this guy wants to pursue with the original at the moment. i probably would've stuck with the original too, the main fault was oil pumping in from a tired engine, now i've rebuilt the engine there's no oil going that way so the old miller should be fine, although lacking output. That's easy too nowadays by fitting led bulbs and having better reliablity with bulbs not blowing, and 35 watts or led lights would light up everything one needed.
    will try graeme jamieson as advised, haven't seen him for a day or two so will be good for a chat.

Bike
    husaberg
    i put an alton on my vincent but this guy wants to pursue with the original at the moment. i probably would've stuck with the original too, the main fault was oil pumping in from a tired engine, now i've rebuilt the engine there's no oil going that way so the old miller should be fine, although lacking output. That's easy too nowadays by fitting led bulbs and having better reliablity with bulbs not blowing, and 35 watts or led lights would light up everything one needed.
    will try graeme jamieson as advised, haven't seen him for a day or two so will be good for a chat.
    How did you get on with that, I remember the thread somewhere about a piston failure on something.
    I am pretty sure Phil Irv would approve of an alternator.
    Have you seen the Aussie Super Vinies they are incredible
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information